PDA

View Full Version : Medieval weapon of choice?

ShadowTiger
08-25-2012, 04:27 PM
It's time to get medieval on this. With the exception of flinging a chamber-pot, which medieval age weapon (set?) do you prefer to fight with in melee combat?

I would pick two short-swords to dual wield. They are light enough to not have as much momentum after a missed swing to have a moment of vulnerability, and when performing an X-block, they're not exactly made of wood or anything, so they can probably block a swing or two. You can then perform a kick while their one weapon is held in the grip of your two weapons.

It's like performing a dance of death.

Ventus
08-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Actually I would go dual wield as well with two swords :P, I like to be able to move and slash at a pretty decent speed. Really there is no down side I don't believe to using two swords.
Well... You couldn't use a shield... Oh well I can give up a shield to kick a** with duel swords :D
Hmm... Maybe I should go get two swords now?

*Starts looking for some swords*

ShadowTiger
08-25-2012, 04:37 PM
In theory, you'd be able to move fast enough to just move out of the space a sword would be in. It's harder to do that with a shield, but it wouldn't matter that much anyway. You can block with a shield, but it's somewhat cumbersome, and invades your personal space.

Ventus
08-25-2012, 04:53 PM
In theory, you'd be able to move fast enough to just move out of the space a sword would be in. It's harder to do that with a shield, but it wouldn't matter that much anyway. You can block with a shield, but it's somewhat cumbersome, and invades your personal space.

Yeah I could imagine the shield making it hard to move, I mean some shields could weigh lot and hamper movement. So that's why I rather use duel swords.

Glenn the Great
08-25-2012, 05:24 PM
I would go with a bastard sword in my right hand plus a buckler attached to my left forearm.

That would give me the versatility to switch quickly between a one or two handed grip on the sword, still have a shield for blocking blows that isn't too restrictive, and also have the option of holding something other than a weapon in my left hand, like a torch or something (which incidentally could work well as a weapon, too.)

Saffith
08-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Dual-wielding swords has its advantages, but it's very difficult. You'd generally do better to use a dagger or similar parrying weapon in your off hand. And, really, a second sword's going to hamper your movement more than a simple buckler.

I'm rather partial to polearms, myself. I'd probably go with a halberd or something similar.

Brasel
08-25-2012, 06:38 PM
I'm definitely a bow and arrow or short sword and shield guy. This is primarily what I use in Elder Scrolls games.

King Aquamentus
08-25-2012, 08:16 PM
I regard the Broadsword as the sword equivalent of the Shotgun. I own two and love both of them

CJC
08-26-2012, 12:54 AM
Morning Star. It's got spikes, it is light enough to maneuver, but it's heavy enough to bludgeon without much effort. It is thus effective against both armored and unarmored opponents.

Rambly
08-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Magic.

It has its advantages in that your opponents would literally be on fire before they get a chance to do anything to you whatsoever.

Polearms are cool too.

mrz84
08-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Greatsword for me. Gotta love them two handers. Plus in a pinch, it can block though not as effectively as a shield, buckler, or two smaller swords.