PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite tileset?

Rambly
08-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I know, it's a pretty generic question, but I'd like to hear AGN's take on it and see if AGN's tastes are different from, say, Pure's.

I should probably point out that I'm not asking for the "best" tileset -- I've been around long enough to know that there's no objective best and the best tileset will depend on what you need for your quest and your aesthetic tastes.

I've always been fond of the miniaturized LTTP tilesets, like Descendant and Pure. I know a lot of people think tilesets like DoR and TMC are better-looking, but I've always found them unwieldy to actually develop with given their abundance of really big objects. ZC's screen size, to me, is still pretty limited, so I generally prefer objects that take up less combos per screen -- you get more walking space that way. I'll admit a lot of the issues with unwieldiness and walking space can be alleviated with a Z3 scrolling script, though... but those are generally really painful to actually script. I admire anyone who puts the effort into something like that, though!

I also really like updates to the Classic tileset. I still think Demo looks pretty good (I've developed most of my recent quests in derivatives of the Demo tileset), and people have come out with some other really nice-looking "enhanced" Classic sets over the years, especially in recent ones.

Also I think Newfirst is underrated. It's not that popular these days, but I think if you tweak the palettes and you're willing to rip in tiles that fit in well, it can look really nice. For example, courtesy of Exate:
http://zc.celestialrealm.net/screens/149_screen.jpg

Ventus
08-25-2012, 11:36 AM
I've always loved the Classic Set and I was quite fond of the new first.
New first seemed like it was what the game boy tiles would be like if someone enhanced the game boy graphics. and mixed in some LTTP. I will say I wish more people would make quest in new first, instead of using DoR for every single game.

Over the passed few years of me being into ZC I find my self quite sick of DoR. Its like every tom dick and harry is using it. Every time I see it I feel like "Been there Done that".

LinktheMaster
08-25-2012, 11:39 AM
For using, I honestly really like the Gameboy tileset. Granted, old GB tileset was an unorganized mess with horrendous palettes and cset stucture, but I just like how easy the set is to use. With combo wide dungeon walls, there's so much more room for activities. :P Plus it's really simple and very quick to use.

Visually, though, I like some of the new tilesets that are based off of DoR, but mixed with Minish Cap and used in an Game Boy Zelda way. It's very hard to describe, but Golden Memories (http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?94002-TLoZ-Golden-Memories-Demo) is a good example.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/TriMaster001/zelda015.png http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/TriMaster001/zelda007-2.png

But, there's not many tilesets I dislike visually.

Chris Miller
08-25-2012, 12:02 PM
If I had to pick one, I'd say Classic. But I tend to use a variety of different tilesets in each of my quests.

Rydia
08-25-2012, 12:28 PM
GB sets, and DoR hybrid sets are a couple that I find to be quite excellent. But, as LtM said, there's not many, if any at all that I find to be visually disgusting.

XMuppetSB
08-25-2012, 06:24 PM
The Classic Tileset is my favorite tileset, because I use it regularly for my test quests as well as my quest projects, though I often tend to customize the Classic Tileset by adding tiles from other tilesets, as well as tiles from video games other than the original Legend of Zelda, though there are tiles from other video games in the default tileset, such as other Zelda games and the Mario series.

SpacemanDan
08-25-2012, 10:36 PM
I've always liked the Pure set. I've been using it ever since I found out where to get it. When I first saw it in Link's Birthday and Isle of the Winds, I loved it and wanted to be able to use it. And that was many years ago, and I'm still sticking with it now. :)

Bagel
08-25-2012, 11:37 PM
I liked newfirst the best for a while, mainly due to its ease of use. Anything Game Boy-centric, really. Lately I've been admiring the utility of the original LoZ "classic" tiles - they may not have been that pretty (CHECK OUT THOSE GRAPHICS!) but they definitely got the job done and set a great atmosphere. Perspective is a little off in dungeons, but I can deal with a little lack of perspective.

Rambly
08-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Perspective is a little off in dungeons, but I can deal with a little lack of perspective.
To be fair, it's Zelda. If anyone's playing Zelda and they can't deal with bad perspective, then... uhh, damn, do they just constantly froth at the mouth and shout streams of curse words at their screen the whole time or something?

LemonCat
09-11-2012, 12:50 AM
I tend to just start from scratch. DoR and Pure are fantastic sources, but they're full of a bunch of stuff I would never use. Instead, I just store everything I could want in some folders, pull it out when need be, and recolor til it fits. Which might explain why everything I've ever done has been so eclectic. Hm.

I also made my own tileset for a game that I have to admit was much to ambitious for someone like myself. There's some comfort in knowing if you ever need a tile of something you can just make it yourself.

trudatman
09-11-2012, 08:43 PM
....constantly froth at the mouth and shout streams of curse words at their screen...?
maybe not constantly....

Orithan
09-12-2012, 09:08 AM
GB and Classic are my main tilesets because they are easy to use. Classic's overworld tiles are more freeform than GB but GB has better graphics and more freeform dungeons.
I occasionally use DoR, but it is hard to use.

SUCCESSOR
09-21-2012, 02:13 AM
I haven't used many tileset because I am a ZQ newb... basically. I can't stand Classic though. I am using EZGBZ right now but as I am OCD I am editing the crap out of it. I also like New BS which I was using for a planned quest that is on hiatus. Anyway I think both are great. I have experimented with DoR but I think it needs to be cleaned up and organized.

CJC
09-21-2012, 03:04 PM
The first tileset I used was NewFirst... but I was awful with ZQuest and I made a combo mess. Since then, I've tried Pure, though I didn't really care for it. Tried DoR too, but that's just another brand of Pure. Um... I think I used a Minish Cap set for a little while, before I gave up on my project.

I've been meaning to start a new ZQ project, but only after I've cleared some time on my schedule. If and when I do, I'll be building a new set from scratch.

El Huesudo II
09-25-2012, 01:29 AM
I'm interested in using ZC after midterms or in winter vacation this year, and I'd be more interested in using a GB-based tileset than any other. EZGBZ seems perfect for the job!

The Zelda GB games are the ones that I remember more fondly than any other, and when I found out that the Triforce team batch of Zelda games (which ended up being both Oracle games and Minish Cap) were at the beginning planned to be SIX GAME BOY COLOR GAMES, I couldn't help but crave for more. In comes Zelda Classic.