PDA

View Full Version : Minecraft server?

King Aquamentus
08-24-2012, 11:37 PM
Apparently it isn't the "in" thing to like Minecraft or some bull like that but I still play it, I'm sure one other person here does we should get a server. :cool:

Brasel
08-25-2012, 01:06 AM
Dude, Minecraft is all my coworkers talk about. It's the in thing. I don't play it because I'm not cool enough.

mrz84
08-26-2012, 09:24 AM
I play the 360 edition, mostly because I'm unsure if my PC can support the PC version or not. So sadly, no server joinings with me. Unless I can figure out my pcs specs (all I know is that it can play Spore with no problems, but that game is older than Minecraft I think, plus from what I've heard, Minecraft can lag tons if you're pc isn't pretty good)

Dark Knight
08-30-2012, 03:54 PM
I play the 360 edition, mostly because I'm unsure if my PC can support the PC version or not. So sadly, no server joinings with me. Unless I can figure out my pcs specs (all I know is that it can play Spore with no problems, but that game is older than Minecraft I think, plus from what I've heard, Minecraft can lag tons if you're pc isn't pretty good)

If your computer can handle Spore at 30+ FPS with no noticeable performance issues then it can certainly handle Minecraft with ease provided your CPU is worth a damn. Minecraft apparently requires an absurd number of calculations. If you have a decent dual core CPU then your performance should be fine. Performance issues generally come from setting off large amounts of TNT, large numbers of items on the ground (dropped by said TNT explosions), or the game generating and rendering new areas. The biggest issue with Minecraft is that Java is an ever hungry beast sometimes capable of using 2 GB of RAM and still needing more (this used to cause Minecraft to save your world and shut down). On the bright side you can increase the amount of RAM available to Java easily enough if you know where to look. Provided you have at least 2 GB of RAM you can play for hours without much issue (and occasionally saving and quitting never hurts).

My computer specs for when I first bought Minecraft:
RAM: 2 GB
CPU: Dual Core AMD Athlon X2 @ 1.9 GHz
GPU: GeForce 9600
And the game ran smoothly 90% of the time. My video card at the time probably made a fairly large difference in performance as I would imagine on-board video "cards" would not be able to keep up with the game very well at all. However, since you mentioned that you run Spore just fine I can assume you have a dedicated card.

Apparently it isn't the "in" thing to like Minecraft or some bull like that but I still play it, I'm sure one other person here does we should get a server.

Sounds like a neat idea but would be a big pain in the ass. Provided enough people here play Minecraft to make it worth having a server you have to contend with most people having different mods, many of which do not play nicely with SMP servers due to various reasons ("cheat" mods, mods not compatible with SMP, etc). Bukkit servers could probably deal with that particular problem. I'm not sure how modded clients handle those however as I do not play online at all

mrz84
08-30-2012, 11:07 PM
If your computer can handle Spore at 30+ FPS with no noticeable performance issues then it can certainly handle Minecraft with ease provided your CPU is worth a damn. Minecraft apparently requires an absurd number of calculations. If you have a decent dual core CPU then your performance should be fine. Performance issues generally come from setting off large amounts of TNT, large numbers of items on the ground (dropped by said TNT explosions), or the game generating and rendering new areas. The biggest issue with Minecraft is that Java is an ever hungry beast sometimes capable of using 2 GB of RAM and still needing more (this used to cause Minecraft to save your world and shut down). On the bright side you can increase the amount of RAM available to Java easily enough if you know where to look. Provided you have at least 2 GB of RAM you can play for hours without much issue (and occasionally saving and quitting never hurts).

My computer specs for when I first bought Minecraft:
RAM: 2 GB
CPU: Dual Core AMD Athlon X2 @ 1.9 GHz
GPU: GeForce 9600
And the game ran smoothly 90% of the time. My video card at the time probably made a fairly large difference in performance as I would imagine on-board video "cards" would not be able to keep up with the game very well at all. However, since you mentioned that you run Spore just fine I can assume you have a dedicated card.

Well I just checked my PC specs. Here they are:

AMD Athlon II X2 220 dual-core processor
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE graphics
3GB DDR3 Memory
1TB HD
DVD-Super Multi Drive (probably has little to nothing to do with Minecraft, but thought I'd include all the specs anyways)
Intergrated LAN 10/100/1000 (same as the DVD above, thought I'd include it anyway)
Also, have Windows 7 Home Preimum 64-bit installed

I'd like to mention, I bought this pc back in Feb/March when my previous pc crapped out on me. I told the clerk I wanted a pc tower that could handle Spore and this is what I got. Haven't done any changes to it other than minor visuals (background on the desktop, some icon changes, etc)

Dark Knight
09-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Your card might have trouble running the "advanced" graphics modes of Minecraft but the rest of your specs are plenty to run the game without much issue. If you do decide to purchase Minecraft then I suggest looking into Optifine, a mod, that allows you to further fine tune the game's video settings and usually results in an increase in FPS.

NewJourneysFire
09-09-2012, 09:49 PM
I just played it today with my son's older brother, all I kept doing is trying to make the most random huge brick building ever by trying to throw bricks everywhere.

Dechipher
09-09-2012, 10:15 PM
I play! I am down for a server world. Can it be survival though?

Tim
09-10-2012, 12:02 AM
I'm a builder and tend to just do mostly creative play modes. I'd likely play a little at night if a server was brought up.

mrz84
09-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Your card might have trouble running the "advanced" graphics modes of Minecraft but the rest of your specs are plenty to run the game without much issue. If you do decide to purchase Minecraft then I suggest looking into Optifine, a mod, that allows you to further fine tune the game's video settings and usually results in an increase in FPS.

I'll keep that in mind whenever I get around to getting it. Thanks.