PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Power to end its 24-year run

King Aquamentus
08-23-2012, 05:06 PM
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/08/source-nintendo-power-magazine-to-cease-publication/

This has been shuffling across the internet for a few days, but here's the official AGN thread for those who missed it.

After 24 years in and out of gamer pop culture, Nintendo Power is closing down, the last issue slated for this December. Although its popularity may have dwindled as time went on, in its heyday it was amazing. Who can forget the Super Metroid comic?

mrz84
08-23-2012, 05:22 PM
I heard of this and I REALLY think it sucks, especially since I just re-subbed in May this year. I certainly hope they at least refund the 1/2 year I'll have left by then. Also, the Super Metroid comic always brings a tear to my eye near the end and is just awesome-ing!

Rydia
08-23-2012, 05:28 PM
I was rather upset when I found out. It is the ONLY magazine I subscribe to. I got my first issue when I was 10 or 11 years old, and was getting ready to renew my subscription.. :(

The Satellite
08-23-2012, 05:31 PM
As I've said elsewhere:

Welp, there's even more of my childhood being dismantled.

I'll miss it. It's good that the editors and stuff are moving on to other publications, but I'll miss Nintendo Power. It was nowhere near what it once was back in the day, but it was still quite the dependable magazine. I wish good luck upon those who worked on the magazine in their future endeavors.

King Aquamentus
08-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Nintendo Power has said that details will come soon for subscriber reimbursement. Also, it was that comic's ending that helped put the events of Super Metroid's endgame into scope for me. If you really think that Other M's thesis was something retarded and out of left field, read that comic from 1994. :|

http://www.metroid-database.com/sm/np_comics/npcomics_5-5.jpg

Xyvol
08-23-2012, 07:08 PM
I missed the Mertoid comic, but I remember the Link to the Past one well. For me, NP was at it's best back in the NES and SNES days. Having full page maps of game stages and overworlds, with notes on where items and things were was just awesome. The screen shot style for the new first and third person type games just never accomplished the same feel.
Honestly, I'm supprised it hasn't happened sooner. Many other game magazines have already closed down because their content is just as available off the internet. I guess holding out this long is a credit to NP's reputation.
It will be missed.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-23-2012, 08:30 PM
When I was roughly 11 or 12, it just so happens that a chance trek to my friend Josh's house allowed me to stumble onto a couple of boxes of issues somebody had placed out to be collected for trash. And I mean literally from the first issue up to that point.

I think that's all I looked at for about a week. Lol.

I want to say I got a subscription when I was roughly 16, but I canceled it after only a year.

Fond memories. Sad to see it go. Sad to see ALL digital print go.

vegeta1215
08-23-2012, 09:12 PM
I was rather upset when I found out. It is the ONLY magazine I subscribe to. I got my first issue when I was 10 or 11 years old, and was getting ready to renew my subscription.. :(

I've been a subscriber since issue 20 something, so this is a real bummer for me too. My last issue was the July 2012 issue - I didn't even realize it was my last issue as they didn't put a "This is your last issue" page on the front of the cover like normal to remind you to renew... they must've known about it shutting down is my guess. I'm very tempted to pick up the last couple issue at retail to see the last of it, or at least the final one.

King Aquamentus
08-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Nintendo Power said they would do something really special for their last issue, so who knows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eegQI9WM6mk

erm2003
08-23-2012, 10:55 PM
This is a shame. I happen to be a current subscriber and I preferred to read this magazine because the others don't really give the Nintendo brand and the games a fair shake. I do hope they go out with a bang but that just seems to be a really weird decision with a new home console slated to come out by the end of the year. Nothing will quite fill the vacancy left without this magazine.

Ventus
08-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Man I was never even a Subscriber to Nintendo Power. and man I'll never get a chance now >.<, Oh well Its sad to hear that Nintendo will no longer make magazine's. I've always like reading them in the stores :)

Rambly
08-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Damn, this magazine made my childhood. I had it in the early GameCube era and I remember following it religiously around the time Smash Bros. Melee came out and getting really, really ridiculously excited whenever new details about it came out. NP even managed to get me excited about Mario Sunshine! That's a pretty impressive feat.

It's a shame to see it go. I didn't follow it anymore, but younger generations will be missing out. :(