PDA

View Full Version : What would the ideal expression for this be?

ShadowTiger
08-22-2012, 05:12 PM
There's this phenomenon that I've always been interested in but never quite had the words to express it.

I'll give two examples of it. Maybe you'll get what I mean from them.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/422326_417114778325403_2098704337_n.jpg

There's also this joke where a drill sergeant is done drilling his soldiers, and approaches one. "Hey, you guy a quarter for the vending machine?" The eager soldier quickly replies "Sure thing, buddy!" when the Drill Sergeant immediately snaps "You WILL address me as Sergeant! Is that understood, soldier? Now, I will ask you again. Do you have a quarter for me?"

"Sir, no, sir!"

What should this phenomenon be called, exactly? It's certainly interesting, and I'd hate to be the person causing someone to change their mind about their benevolence.

CJC
08-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Grammar Fascism.

It's the phenomenon of inspiring hate with your dictatorial implementation of proper English rules in informal situations.

It has another name, but one that is not appropriate for the internet. ...If that's possible.

ShadowTiger
08-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Hm. I didn't think there would be two facets to this. Good point.

So the first half of this can be considered grammar fascism. That seems to work.

Now what about the denial aspect of it which occurs at the end of the transaction of words, akin to what the soldier did to the sergeant when he retracted his offer to look for a quarter for his superior? I'm sure social scientists would love to study such a thing.