PDA

View Full Version : Numerical Terror (Is a sub-forum necessary?)

CJC
08-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Since AGN is currently in the process of reorganization, the topic of new forums has come to the forefront. A sub-forum is usually necessary when a series of topics are too specific or too inappropriate for the parent forum. In this case, we are discussing the Think Tank.

I was concerned that, considering the intimidating nature math poses to many (if not most) people, mixing math puzzles in with the other topics of the Think Tank would deter timid users from posting. My proposal is to create a sub-forum strictly for mathematics, so that people who dislike numbers could simply avoid the sub-forum if they so desired. ShadowTiger has proposed the counter-point, that math puzzles are at home in the Think Tank and even General Discussion without being a disruption. So... time to put it to a vote.

Feel free to post a justification for your vote, though it is not mandatory. The majority will determine (pending Administrator approval) the action taken.

trudatman
08-21-2012, 06:23 PM
keep it light on jargon and full of helpfulness and I'd be glad to see math posts/threads just about anywhere.

ShadowTiger
08-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Added a third option and moved this topic to the News and Announcements forum so it's in the spotlight, as it were. Hope you don't mind.

CJC
08-21-2012, 06:33 PM
No, I don't mind.

Since the sub-forum was my idea, I voted for that. Mostly as a means of quickly locating any math topics I would want to read.

Saffith
08-21-2012, 06:34 PM
People who can't deal with the very presence of mathematical discussions shouldn't be in TT at all. :p

I don't think any sub-forums are warranted at this point. If things pick up, and there are a large number of such threads, maybe then.

ShadowTiger
08-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Since the sub-forum was my idea, I voted for that. Mostly as a means of quickly locating any math topics I would want to read. Iiiick. Glad you mentioned it. I guess there goes allowing mentally intensive math topics in GD, huh? :P Surely provides direction for the course of this thread, doesn't it. Coupled with what Saffith said, I like our current standing on this. Looks like they may be headed toward the Think Tank. Let's wait for some more replies.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-21-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm still not entirely certain we need the Religion and Politics sub forums. I just didn't have time to debate(cwatididthere?) it earlier when I moved them back. Thoughts?

ShadowTiger
08-21-2012, 09:00 PM
I actually agree rather strongly that both of those subforums can be merged with the Think Tank. I'm a bit surprised there was justification to create them in the first place, way back then.

Saffith
08-22-2012, 11:40 AM
As I recall, the place was already pretty dead when those two were created. I certainly think we could do without them now.

ShadowTiger
08-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Yep. They're gone.

Also moved MPQ World to the archives because, ... ... well, obvious reasons. -.- No more MPQ.

Saffith
08-22-2012, 02:32 PM
All of Think Tank appears to be gone. That wasn't intentional, was it?

ShadowTiger
08-22-2012, 02:41 PM
I believe it is in the process of an experiment to determine whether or not we can voluntarily join it without making it into its own category for the purposes of collapsing it.

Apparently a new usergroup has been made that will allow people to join it. Go here (http://armageddongames.net/profile.php?do=editusergroups) to select it. Now let's see if this allows for visibility.