PDA

View Full Version : The Origins of your username(s).

ShadowTiger
08-19-2012, 08:21 PM
I figure it'll be a bit better-off if we list all of the usernames we use around the internet, or at least the ones that we changed from to our current one.

My current Username, ShadowTiger, is a description of two particular aspects of life that define me. I tend to stick to dark or shady areas and avoid the sun, (It makes me squint horribly, much worse than others, and even sneeze.) and tend not to turn on lights that other people would be useless without. The "Tiger" portion is a bit more spiritual. There are just some things that words do not properly do justice, so I'll leave it at that.

My earlier username, "BH4" stems from "Britanniahero4" which was my first E-mail address I ever made, which I think I actually used to register specifically for this forum back in December of 2000. (EDIT: Or was at least considering it. I never got to do it until June of '02.) I was (and still am) a huge fan of the Ultima series for the PC by Richard Garriott, which takes place in the land of Britannia. Oddly, Britannianhero 1 through 3 were already taken, apparently.

I wouldn't have had the foggiest idea of what my username would have been if not for that E-mail address. Probably something almost as stupid, like "Pigeon" or whatever. Some things take time to develop, I suppose.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-19-2012, 08:28 PM
ctrl-alt-delete was just something I thought would be cool, for obvious reasons.

I was originally ZeldaMaster because I was a 13 year old n00b.

I also use diffikolt for most other things, because it's a cool play on my name.

Saffith
08-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Mine dates back to the early AOL days. They used to have a ten-character limit on usernames, so I shortened "Mox Sapphire (http://magiccards.info/cedi/en/267.html)" to "Mox Safire." Someone started calling me this, and I just sort of stuck with it.

Gleeok
08-19-2012, 09:36 PM
I originally only joined to use the boards' search feature (which I then found out was only available to mods at the time) so I simply picked the first thing that had something to do with Zelda and sounded reasonable; the name of the dragon boss - Gleeok. Besides here and pzc, I haven't used it elsewhere.

SpykStorm
08-19-2012, 11:08 PM
I used to be obsessed with weather as a kid, particularly with thunderstorms and snow. So that's where the "storm" part of my username comes from. I don't really remember where I got the "Spyk" from, but people always ask if I got it from the X-Men character, "Spyke". :shrugs:

CJC
08-20-2012, 03:02 PM
CJC7988 was my first email address, and to this day the one that is still associated with AGN. On smaller sites, I truncate it to CJC, which are my initials.

I've also used AnubianDragon, which is related to astrology (It sounded cool at the time). Oh, and on IRC I was ShadowBoar for a while (It was actually a joke because of ShadowTiger, everybody picked an animal)

But mostly, since I've published, I've used "C Jared Castor" in as many places as possible. You know, promoting the brand and what-not.

Xyvol
08-20-2012, 10:56 PM
In the past I used names based off of characters I liked, Guybrush Threepwood from Monkey Island, and Kain from FF4(2). Of course, on the internet these kinds of names are very common and I wanted to find a unique name rather than add a different set of numbers everywhere I went. Xyvol was a character name I'd made up back in grade school, I think I used it in Bard's Tale first. I liked it so it stuck around for various fantasy uses, and I finally picked it for my email when I set up hotmail back in college. I've been using it ever since. Good or bad, I am the only Xyvol on the internet.

FYI: Xy (Zai) as in xylophone, vol as in Volkswagon.

My earlier username, "BH4" stems from "Britanniahero4" which was my first E-mail address I ever made,
I remember you from back then, Hello!

ctrl-alt-delete
08-20-2012, 11:47 PM
In the past I used names based off of characters I liked, Guybrush Threepwood from Monkey Island, and Kain from FF4(2). Of course, on the internet these kinds of names are very common and I wanted to find a unique name rather than add a different set of numbers everywhere I went. Xyvol was a character name I'd made up back in grade school, I think I used it in Bard's Tale first. I liked it so it stuck around for various fantasy uses, and I finally picked it for my email when I set up hotmail back in college. I've been using it ever since. Good or bad, I am the only Xyvol on the internet.

Kain is one of my favorite video game characters of all time, and FFIV is definitely top five favorite games.

My wife wants to name our son, if we have one, Kain. So many negative connotations though...

Xyvol
08-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Most people assumed it was a biblical reference, despite the spelling. Then along came the Legacy of Kain game, and people forgot about the ol' FF.

Back in Jr. High there was a kid named Kane. He was well liked if I remember.

Brasel
08-21-2012, 10:18 PM

FYI: Xy (Zai) as in xylophone, vol as in Volkswagon.

I remember you from back then, Hello!

Hey! I've always pronounced it right!

My username is actually a truncation of my original username, "Sir Anthony the Dragonslayer". I started posting a lot when I first started, and people complained because it was too long and made the boards look all weird, so it was shortened to "Sir Anthony". I was an angsty teenager who thought that posting on the Internet was important, so I threw a couple fits, created alternate usernames based on depressing Metallica Songs, then came back as "Anthony", which is my real name, which is also incredibly creative.

Glenn the Great
08-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Back in the year 2000 when I originally signed up for this board I was an avid fan of the Age of Empires series, as well as all things ancient history. My favorite figure of antiquity was Alexander the Great, so my Age of Empires name was Glenn the Great. I started using it as my handle online and eventually became one with the name, more or less. I like to believe I have made old Alex proud.

mrz84
08-22-2012, 06:16 PM
I had a facination with the letter Z (guess from where!) and thought: "Hey! I coudl call myself the infamous Mr.Z! Becasue being infamous is cooler than being famous!" I was in my Sophmore year of highschool then. Apparently mrz wasn't very uncommon and I had to settle for mrz84 (this was originally on my email and I thought I'd just use it as my username on whereever I'd go online) and the rest as they say is history.

ShadowTiger
08-22-2012, 06:23 PM
You weren't the only one (http://armageddongames.net/member.php?39403-Mr-Z). :P

King Aquamentus
08-22-2012, 06:59 PM
I was an angry youth when I first joined, and I strongly designated myself with the first generation of the franchise, which at the time was all but forgotten. No, original Link looks nothing like the Hero of time, stop asking about Navi, the eagle dungeon is not the great deku tree. So, you can imagine where I came up with the name.

erm2003
08-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Mine is just my initials and the year I finished my undergrad work. Nothing too creative here. I am not really good at picking names like that so it was just a quick way to register at the time when I needed to get a couple questions answered for a quest I was playing.

Rydia
08-22-2012, 11:27 PM
I'm terribly unoriginal! My username comes from a Final Fantasy IV character, Rydia. Huge Final Fantasy fan though, so it fits me well.

Rambly
08-22-2012, 11:52 PM
I used to have the name Ramblin' Evil Mushroom on PureZC, which was an EarthBound enemy. Rambly's just a shortened form that people took to calling me and it kind of stuck. It's way nicer 'cause it doesn't stretch forum tables or anything like that.

LinktheMaster
08-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Basically, I was trying to register on Nintendo's old Zelda forums. Not surprisingly, all of the names related to "Link" were taken. :P I eventually found this name that worked, and I've stuck with it ever since.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Basically, I was trying to register on Nintendo's old Zelda forums. Not surprisingly, all of the names related to "Link" were taken. :P I eventually found this name that worked, and I've stuck with it ever since.

LinktheMaster, ZeldaMaster...we were meant to be.

The Satellite
08-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Mine has terrible origins but it's an awesome name anyway and I've never changed it nor would I want to.

Basically, there's a video game called NBA Street Vol. 2. In the game, your character eventually earns a nickname based on the skill he or she is best at. Mine was "Satellite" because my shooting range was "out of this world" or something like that. ... yeah, it's dumb. But I liked the name itself, which eventually evolved into "The Satellite" somehow, and now that's pretty much become my name around the internet. WHAT DO YOU MEAN FIREFOX DOESN'T RECOGNIZE "INTERNET" AS A WORD?! Oh just if the "i" is lowercased. ... what. Excuse me while I add that to the dictionary.

Now that I'm off that tangent.

Yep, that's pretty much it. Kind of dumb origins, but I still like the name, and... yep.

Nathaniel
08-23-2012, 12:17 AM
It's my actual name.

I know, I am so creative.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-23-2012, 12:27 AM
It's my actual name.

I know, I am so creative.

Never could have guessed that.

MasterSwordUltima
08-23-2012, 12:10 PM
MasterSword = Best Sword.
Ultima = Best Spell.
Ergo MasterSwordUltima = best Username.
</12year_old_logic>

Modus Ponens
08-23-2012, 11:59 PM
I'm a big fan of formal logic, and modus ponens is a rule of logical inference. It's the short form of modus ponendo ponens, Latin for "the rule that affirms by affirming." Its basic form is "if P, then Q / P / therefore, Q" — for example, "If my car is out of gas, then I'm going to be late for school. My car is out of gas. Therefore, I'm going to be late for school."

When I first joined and for several years, my name was Riverman, named after the bridge guard in the Water Town of Saria from Zelda II, whom Bagu refers to as "RIVER MAN." I thought it made for cool-sounding name, I liked how his sprite looked, and I liked the fact that he was one of only a small group of characters in that game who had two different lines of dialogue.

Russ
08-24-2012, 02:03 AM
Take a wild guess.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-24-2012, 02:17 AM
Take a wild guess.

You're a big fan of the Soviet Union but don't want people to know so you moved the r to the front?

Gleeok
08-24-2012, 02:59 AM
You're a big fan of the Soviet Union but don't want people to know so you moved the r to the front?
Of course. It all makes perfect sense now! Russ - is Russia without the IA. The IA is of course referring to a faction of the Russian military air force: "Istrebitel’naya Aviatsiya", which was initiated during the cold war.

...He's not a bad speller; his posts are encrypted messages to the motherland! Aaaaaaahhh! :conspiracy smily:

Glenn the Great
08-24-2012, 03:00 AM

I don't think he's hiding anything... after the whole thing with the Berlin Wall, he had to change his name to match.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Of course. It all makes perfect sense now! Russ - is Russia without the IA. The IA is of course referring to a faction of the Russian military air force: "Istrebitel’naya Aviatsiya", which was initiated during the cold war.

...He's not a bad speller; his posts are encrypted messages to the motherland! Aaaaaaahhh! :conspiracy smily:

I don't think he's hiding anything... after the whole thing with the Berlin Wall, he had to change his name to match.

How deep does this conspiracy go?!

King Aquamentus
08-24-2012, 08:34 AM
And now I'm King Aquamentus. This one doesn't really have much of a story behind it, but it is the name I go by all over the ZC community now anyways.

rocksfan13
08-24-2012, 08:43 AM
My current username here was created when I was a huge fan of Duane (The Rock) Johnson; Rocksfan; 13 is just my favorite number.
On Pure I changed it to Link as I had outgrown the rocksfan name. It's already taken here, hence why I am still rocksfan. However, most people just call me Rocky.

Ventus
08-24-2012, 11:13 AM
My user name came from kingdom hearts: birth by sleep, Some reason I just loved the name of Ventus.
On PureZC My name used to be linktopower, but after a while I grew tired of that name and just completely switched to Ventus.

Russ
08-24-2012, 11:41 AM
How deep does this conspiracy go?!
Much deeper than you think... If I were you, I'd run background checks on some of your staff members. Of course, everything I'm telling you might be a lie, so maybe you shouldn't. But then what if I'm using reverse psychology on you? Then you should. But what if it's a double reversal? Then you... then I honestly don't know what you should do. I think I'm confusing myself. I'm a horrible spy. :(

XMuppetSB
08-24-2012, 01:34 PM
My username has primarily to do with my fandom of Muppets. As for the X and the SB in the name, those were sort of inspired by the name XDragonSB, like ShadowTiger said.

CJC
08-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Oh no, Russ is the dreaded Triple Agent! An agent of his own country that pretends to be a double agent for a different country!

RUN AWAY!

SUCCESSOR
08-25-2012, 03:41 AM
Well, my user name came about thanks to AGN. I went by skadragon, and still do in some places. I registered here as skadragon and without posting once for a month or two forgot my password and couldn't recover it. So I came up with SUCCESSOR. It actually comes from an interesting story that I don't really tell because it's strange and I never really was one to talk about myself.

When my mom was pregnant she got hurt in a car accident. She went to the doctor and found out that because of the accident she miscarried. I guess the doctor wanted to "clean her out" or something to remove the dead fetus but my dad being the hippie he is wanted her body to deal with it naturally. After the miscarriage passed she went back to the doctor because she didn't feel right and they found me in there. My mom always told me the story like she had been given another baby to take the place of the one that didn't survive. That would make me the successor. I spelled it in all caps because I thought it looked better that way, still do.

It's a good thing they didn't go with the doctors advice because I'm pretty sure what he suggested was a dilation and curettage (D&C) and that would have killed me.