PDA

View Full Version : Zc 2.50 rc4

Saffith
08-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Download (http://zeldaclassic.com/downloads.php#zc)

Quests saved in RC4 will not work correctly in RC3.

Windows users, if you're using an existing ag.cfg file, make sure it does not have zc_win_proc_fix=1 or zq_win_proc_fix=1 set. Otherwise, we'll assume those are responsible for any random crashes.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-18-2012, 11:37 PM
How long has this release candidate existed?

ShadowTiger
08-18-2012, 11:46 PM
From the look of it, a few hours.

Saffith
08-18-2012, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I just made the last change earlier tonight.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-19-2012, 01:32 AM
AGN's resurrection seems to have had good timing.

Nicholas Steel
08-19-2012, 01:47 AM
Can finally see if Vsync works.

Edit: Fullscreen, Windows 7 with latest drivers.

1) Does the Cap FPS setting control Vsync as well? Because disabling the Cap FPS option while Vsync & Triple buffer is active should still make the game run at 60fps (My monitors refresh rate) yet it doesn't, instead the game runs at over 5,000fps. (60 if Cap FPS is enabled)

2) With Vsync & Double Buffering enabled it runs at around 500fps with Cap FPS enabled and 5,000FPS with Cap FPS turned off.

3) With just Vsync the same issue as #1 happens. 60FPS only when FPS is capped but not when it isn't, even though Vsync is on (Which should cap it because of the very nature of Vsync).

Gleeok
08-19-2012, 04:11 AM
AGN's resurrection seems to have had good timing.
Assuming no major (or compatibility, playability) issues arise from RC4 [knock on wood], this will be the last before a full version release. :)

franpa: So vsync doesn't work at all? It should override the FPS limiter. i.e., when vsync is enabled then it will never call LimitFPS() which waits until 16.67 milliseconds have passed for the current frame in total. In other words -- you shouldn't be able to enable them both.

Nicholas Steel
08-19-2012, 04:31 AM
Settings I tried: (Taken straight from the ag.cfg file)

vsync = 1
throttlefps = 0

Does not limit frame rate to my monitors refresh rate. (5,000+ fps)

vsync = 1
throttlefps = 1

Limits frame rate to 60 but seems more like a function of the frame rate limiter and not caused by Vsync. (60 fps)

vsync = 1
throttlefps = 0
doublebuffer = 1

vsync = 1
throttlefps = 1
doublebuffer = 1

Limits frame rate to around 550 fps and seems broken because it should cap at 60. (550~fps)

vsync = 1
throttlefps = 0
triplebuffer = 1

vsync = 1
throttlefps = 1
triplebuffer = 1

Limits frame rate to 60 but seems more like a function of the frame rate limiter and not caused by Vsync. (60 fps)

Vsync is enabled in Nvidia Control Panel as is Triple buffering. I haven't set it to Always Off or anything like that. Vsync works fine in other programs/applications.

Gleeok
08-19-2012, 04:52 AM
In the manual: http://www.allegro.cc/manual/4/api/configuration-routines/ , there is a disable_vsync option (under the [graphics] section) but this is for disabling rather than enabling (should be enabled by default). So... either I screwed something up or it's not going to work for you I think. :(

Can anyone verify that vsync works?

Nicholas Steel
08-19-2012, 05:56 AM
You should have someone also check in on that Vsync & Double Buffer combination breaking the Cap FPS option.

Saffith
08-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Another one you can try is use_dwm_flush=1.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-19-2012, 11:29 AM
I know this could be easily googled, but in the spirit of posting, generating traffic, etc. I'll post it here.

If you are strictly a quest player, like myself (even though I don't think I've ever completed a single quest), do older quests typically have to be "updated" to work with this version? Does that cause bugs sometimes?

Should anything prior to 1.92 184 only be played with that player? Anything since then only be played with this one? Or with beta created with?

Will 2.5 complete be able to play ANY quest correctly, or just quests made after 1.92 184? Or is that unknown?

Basically, am I going to have to have 50 versions of ZC to cover a wide timeline of quests?

Shed some light.

Saffith
08-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Older quests should be playable in 2.50. I think minor differences are generally acceptable, especially in cases where the earlier versions didn't correctly match the NES game. If a quest is unwinnable or otherwise doesn't work as intended in some major way, that should be considered a bug. I'm not aware of any such problems at this point, but I won't be surprised if some turn up.
I'd say that's less true for quests made in earlier 2.50 builds, though, or at least the more recent ones. If it's basically a 2.50 quest anyway, I don't feel too bad about requiring it be updated.

Nicholas Steel
08-19-2012, 02:54 PM
I know this could be easily googled, but in the spirit of posting, generating traffic, etc. I'll post it here.

If you are strictly a quest player, like myself (even though I don't think I've ever completed a single quest), do older quests typically have to be "updated" to work with this version? Does that cause bugs sometimes?

Should anything prior to 1.92 184 only be played with that player? Anything since then only be played with this one? Or with beta created with?

Will 2.5 complete be able to play ANY quest correctly, or just quests made after 1.92 184? Or is that unknown?

Basically, am I going to have to have 50 versions of ZC to cover a wide timeline of quests?

Shed some light.
I have been of the belief that it will support all publicly released builds of Zelda Classic (Which would include v2.5 once its released) excluding developer builds released on Shardstorm. Quests made from versions released on Shardtorm aren't guaranteed to work.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Beautiful, thanks for the info. Can't wait. With 2.5's release, I'll probably start playing again.

SpykStorm
08-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Downloaded this morning. I'll probably mess around with it more tomorrow afternoon.

Modus Ponens
08-25-2012, 04:11 AM
I downloaded RC4 and can't get it to open because I'm missing some files. It looks like ZC is missing 1st.qst and ZQ is missing fonts.dat. I tried supplying an older version of fonts.dat, but ZQ didn't like that. Is there a support package I need? Sorry if this is totally common knowledge by now; I haven't been here for a few years.

ShadowTiger
08-25-2012, 07:59 AM
That's very bizarre. I downloaded the version of RC4 from This Thread (http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56193&st=0) at PZC, and it was able to function straight out of the zip. It never has zelda.nsf in it. I see 1st.qst and fonts.dat in the folder as well.

Link
08-25-2012, 09:41 AM
The Shardstorm version of RC4 - http://www.shardstorm.com/zc/alphas/1550-windows.zip - is incomplete, meaning it won't work if someone is installing it as a new build (instead of an intended upgrade to RC3). Probably needs deleting in order to avoid confusion.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-25-2012, 10:10 AM
I've contacted DD regarding the issue. Should be fixed soon. Thanks.

Modus Ponens
08-25-2012, 11:58 AM
I got it from Shardstorm. Thanks, Link, you're the hero of Hyrule.