PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions/Accomplishments

ctrl-alt-delete
08-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Do you see something that needs to be fixed? Do you have any suggestions/content that could help to improve AGN and generate traffic? Share all of your brilliant ideas here.

As work is being performed and completed, this thread will also serve to inform everybody.

Saffith
08-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Coding Issues is still public. And I see some images are missing, but you're probably aware of that already. That's all I've got for the moment.

Glad to see you've finally been put in charge. Thanks for cleaning up the mess here.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-16-2012, 05:01 PM
--Coding Issues should be fixed.

Do you have an example of the missing images? I do not have FTP access, so there's probably not much that can be done other than having new images created. Any graphics designers around?

Saffith
08-16-2012, 05:38 PM
I found these:
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/8710/newbug.gif
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3500/sickbug.gif
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/9439/deadbug.gif
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/9626/notabug.gif
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/9449/unverifiedbug.gif
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/589/movedbug.gif

Not the original image, but cropped from a screenshot:
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8623/logopnr.png

Looks like pretty much all of the classic black theme icons are missing. Probably not worth the trouble of tracking them all down, though.

Also, there's apparently a limit of four images per post.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-16-2012, 06:54 PM
--Got all those. Still need Verified Bug if anybody can find it.

I'm guessing DD has access to Classic Black and the images since he reuploaded it recently, but unless Warlord gives me FTP access, he or DD will have to handle it.

Gleeok
08-17-2012, 12:41 AM
Thanks ctrl-alt-delete.

While trying to mass move spam threads to the trash earlier, I realized that there were no staff or trash forums, at least not visible. ..Kinda weird.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-17-2012, 01:11 AM
--Moved all spam THREADS I could find to the Trash Can.

I'll continue to work on individual posts and banning users, but I probably won't find everything. Anybody can contribute by reporting spam posts they see.

Gleeok, dechipher was having the same problem. Going to attempt to fix it real quick. Can you try logging out and back in shortly?

XMuppetSB
08-17-2012, 01:57 AM
The posting permissions for this forum (News and Announcements) still aren't quite right, because only the senior staff (or administrators) is supposed to be able to start new threads in this forum.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-17-2012, 02:28 AM
--Posting permissions should be fixed for News and Announcements.

Saffith
08-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Found it: http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5656/verifiedbug.gif

ctrl-alt-delete
08-17-2012, 01:08 PM
--Fixed, thanks Saffith.

As far as other images, DD has backups but they can't be restored until he returns from traveling in a few weeks. Hopefully at that time he can repair his backup cron job and I can begin to download them myself.

ShadowTiger
08-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Anyone remember this (http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?58824-Current-Star-System-Update)? That was the shit. I looked at that, and thought "This, is AGN" So very colorful. So very interesting. I can't remember if that was some sort of hack, or just some clever confuddling with the pip system.

EDIT: Okay, holy shit, let's do this.

Get the forums back. Can't post without a place to post in.
Keep the member suggestions up. Damn good stuff.
Emotes and pips have to come back. Feels like a shell of the former place. It's like wandering around in Fallout 3 right now. Awesome, but for bad reasons.
How are the forum rules? They're more of an afterthought at this point, but will people feel comfortable posting in a place where flaming is far too overlooked? If it was fine for the old userbase, and that's the userbase that will come back, then that's fine and dandy. All I know is, if I was a new member, and I posted something, and people rushed in to be all clique'ish and I got burned, I wouldn't give leaving a second thought.
This is still the home for Zelda Classic development, yes? I wouldn't think otherwise.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-18-2012, 07:36 PM
1. As it stands, Warlord wants forum count to be reduced. I guess we could leave this up to a vote, but I think he wanted to consolidate traffic to one major area while keeping the focus on Zelda Classic.

2. Are you talking about this thread? If so, will do.

3. Agreed. I can probably get the emotes, but I don't know if any of the pips are backed up. Sure wish I had a good friend that had made them for me in ZC once before and may be willing to do so again if necessary. ;)

4. Yes, still the home. Not sure what you mean though.

ShadowTiger
08-18-2012, 08:07 PM
1. As it stands, Warlord wants forum count to be reduced. I guess we could leave this up to a vote, but I think he wanted to consolidate traffic to one major area while keeping the focus on Zelda Classic.Oh neat. That makes sense. Puts things into a useful perspective.

2. Are you talking about this thread? If so, will do. Actually this is in a nutshell self-evident, from the very existence of this thread, and everything that it stands for. There are people who think "We, the staff, are just here to help the entire userbase thrive. Help us help you." The theory generally works very well, from what I've seen of the internet, if managed properly.

3. Agreed. I can probably get the emotes, but I don't know if any of the pips are backed up. Sure wish I had a good friend that had made them for me in ZC once before and may be willing to do so again if necessary. ;)

4. Yes, still the home. Not sure what you mean though. There were discussions of where to host ZC in the case that AGN were to go down or become so idle to the point where the beta testers never returned to the beta forums here, given that there is only a single thread for ZC RC3's progress on Pure, though it's very, very active at the moment. Just tying up loose ends here.

Gleeok
08-18-2012, 11:18 PM
1. As it stands, Warlord wants forum count to be reduced. I guess we could leave this up to a vote, but I think he wanted to consolidate traffic to one major area while keeping the focus on Zelda Classic.

Beta discussion and beta suggestions could probably be merged together for the ZC forums, but GD is already in a pretty miserable state - I don't know how consolidating this is even feasible with the aim of stimulating traffic.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Beta discussion and beta suggestions could probably be merged together for the ZC forums, but GD is already in a pretty miserable state - I don't know how consolidating this is even feasible with the aim of stimulating traffic.

I guess I should have explained better. Warlord said he wanted the forums reduced at the last major cleanup when DD archived everything. He messaged me the same thing days ago, but I'm not entirely certain he's seen the work DD did, so he may be pleased with the current state.

In any case, my personal preference and vote are with a few more. I agree with the issue of threads falling pages behind and the "bump" problem that would probably arise.

DarkDragon
08-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm currently traveling through Germany and won't have access to my backups until mid-September, at which time I can restore all of the images that got deleted (which should fix, among other things, the site logo and the missing icons in the black theme.)

While I will help ctrl-alt-delete and the rest of the staff restore the site as best as I can, sadly I don't have the free time anymore to keep up with AGN's day-to-day maintenance, and I really appreciate the effort ctrl-alt-delete, XMuppetSB, and others have put into revitalizing the place. I encourage anyone interested in helping out to post in ctrl-alt-delete's staff thead.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Looks like pretty much all of the classic black theme icons are missing. Probably not worth the trouble of tracking them all down, though.

Also, there's apparently a limit of four images per post.

Were those icons custom, or were they just default? I'm going to look into building a temporary black theme with the default icons until DD restores his backup.

--Image limit has been brought up to 10, do you think that's sufficient?

ctrl-alt-delete
08-20-2012, 05:54 PM
--Arcade has been brought back.

Link is at the top of the board.

DarkDragon
08-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Were those icons custom, or were they just default? I'm going to look into building a temporary black theme with the default icons until DD restores his backup.

They were the default, but from an ancient version of the software (possible even from back when the forums ran on UBB instead of vB). They looked better than the current defaults IMO.

The most important missing images are the site logos and the (many) non-custom avatars.

It looks like ZC.com-related images were spared, fortunately.

ShadowTiger
08-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Do you think the emoticons and pips are among the images that can be restored from that backup? Those are easy enough to recreate, if need be.

DarkDragon
08-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Yep they should be there.

rocksfan13
08-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Is anyone working on a good captcha?

Another suggestion would be to add a link to the current RC on the main page.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Is anyone working on a good captcha?

Another suggestion would be to add a link to the current RC on the main page.

Dunno if you saw the Spam Deterrent thread. Since installing that system, I've gained access to the FTP. I'm putting some things in place that will hopefully replace it, and still have one more hack to for sure add, but they're still registering. One of the systems is supposed to beat 90% of the bots, tested it myself. So I'm assuming these are real people or I need to change a variable. The last hack should help.

You're a QDB manager, add the link!

Rambly
08-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Just noticed all the links to the stock avatars are broken. This isn't really all that high-priority, but I liked the little Wind Fish below my name. :(

rocksfan13
08-21-2012, 11:19 AM
No, I posted that before I saw the SPAM thread.

I was thinking more along the lines of the links on the left side of the Main page instead of a news release.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Just noticed all the links to the stock avatars are broken. This isn't really all that high-priority, but I liked the little Wind Fish below my name. :(

It's on the to do list. I'm not certain I can find the images. If so, I'll get them uploaded. If not, DD has a backup and will be restoring them mid-September.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-21-2012, 02:34 PM
--Sorted through 480 accounts, probably uselessly.

--Cleared Spam for at least five pages of Announcements, GD.

--Fixed various usergroup permissions. Still need to double check all.

--Researched useful hacks. Poll for what you want added to come.

--Smilies have been added back. The custom ones like Shadowblazer and Kawaii will need to be restored by Dark Dragon. Also, I need somebody, probably ST, to make a custom emoticon for me since I'm so awesome. Thanks in advance.

:chuncky::tongue-new::tongue::love_heart::applause::subdued::pig::f lustered:

Glenn the Great
08-21-2012, 11:46 PM
We should have an AGN Member Graveyard user group, similar to the list of staff members, that displays all AGN members who are known to have died. You can add balzac and carrotred to start it off.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-21-2012, 11:52 PM
--New system to backup the database has been implemented.
--Database has been backed up.
--Forum root has been backed up.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-22-2012, 09:38 AM
--Usergroups have been given differentiating colors. Legend is below logged in user list. Open to color change other than ZC Developers, they HAVE to be Triforce gold, right? Still need to decide what color for QDB Managers.

Saffith
08-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Can it be made theme-dependent? Black names are almost invisible in classic black.

ShadowTiger
08-22-2012, 10:58 AM
As easily as removing the custom formatting. Done and done, for that particular group. Now it won't be hard-coded to be black against black.

A few other things:

The Neofirst Development forum is now a sub-forum of the ZC Beta Discussion forum. If it ever gets worked on again, it could return. No big deal.
The Developers Exchange forum has returned. You never know, right?
Avatar size limits are now 150x150 again, with a 25 KB file size cap.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-22-2012, 04:27 PM
--Made Forum Games and Think Tank Optional. Still debating proper handling of EaTS.

--In case you hadn't noticed, implemented the ability to force users to read a thread. That way important things are for sure seen. A good example is the AGN TOS, once it's been modernized. (Can another member of the staff help with this? ST and I are starting to go blind...)

--Moved a few topics to their appropriate locations within the restored forums.

--Finalized spam prevention. If the new methods prove to be mostly effective, the Welcome to AGN forum that you cannot see anyways will be removed and new user permissions will be restored.

I'll let ST tell you some of the things he's been up to. I know some of these updates seem rather irrelevant, but I want you guys to know I'm hard at work.

erm2003
08-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Thank you to ALL who have been working hard to get everything restored and back off the ground here. It's really starting to look nice around here again!

ShadowTiger
08-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Thank you to ALL who have been working hard to get everything restored and back off the ground here. It's really starting to look nice around here again!

I got Windex in my eye. :| Twice. .. .. and there is a broom handle stuck somewhere else. I'm taking my half hour break.

Oh uh ... right.

I'm not much on promotion threads, but CJC and erm2003 are now Moderators. Congratulations to them! Old-Skool and Dechipher are still Senior Moderators.
Any previous staff that had been inactive has had their ability to alter thread and forum structure temporarily locked away for security reasons. Upon their return, all will happily be restored to its previous condition.
Created a few new ranks of reputation, just to give people something to tide them over between ranks. Early on, it will feel like more of an accomplishment for being nice.
Locked away the ZC Bugs Forum. Not much of a need for it since it only contains 2.10 threads, even after we're already on Release Candidate 4 (http://shardstorm.com/). (Go check ZC Beta Discussion for the link to the download.)
Fixing up the ZC forums for activity. Going to be planning on condensing all the pinned topics there soon. Anyone willing to help with that?
Looking into getting some additional skins handy.
Plenty more miscellaneous changes that are minor in nature but necessary.

Xyvol
08-22-2012, 08:57 PM
--Smilies have been added back. The custom ones like Shadowblazer and Kawaii will need to be restored by Dark Dragon. Also, I need somebody, probably ST, to make a custom emoticon for me since I'm so awesome. Thanks in advance.

:chuncky::tongue-new::tongue::love_heart::applause::subdued::pig::f lustered:

I always liked the shrugging smiley. Didn't that originate here?

ShadowTiger
08-22-2012, 08:58 PM
I hope so. It's one of my favorites. Until then, I use this little Kirby thing: <(o O.)>

rocksfan13
08-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Apparently my name should be purple?
I'm not seeing it.

Also, holy shit I love how this has come back to life. Haven't spent this much time on here since I first joined.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-22-2012, 11:43 PM
It's purple for me, are you using classic black?

ctrl-alt-delete
08-23-2012, 02:40 AM
--Arcade kicking you back to main forum page after playing has been fixed.

--Postbit Join Date offset has been fixed.

--Still need to figure out this. (http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/1870/bbbei.png)Anybody else having this problem on LinktheMaster's profile?

Gleeok
08-23-2012, 03:54 AM
--Arcade kicking you back to main forum page after playing has been fixed
Sweet. Maybe now someone can beat Colossal at something... :P How anyone can ever get so good at so many crappy flash games is beyond me.

Also; is it somewhat obvious to new users what they have to do to be able to post in the "specialized" groups/forums? (It looks like not everyone has notices all these..?)

ctrl-alt-delete
08-23-2012, 04:01 AM
Lol, agreed about Colossal.

Do you mean New Users to upgrade from Welcome to AGN to all forums, or for everybody to be able to post in Forum Games/Think Tank?

If it's the former, we're still testing the effectiveness of the spam blocks before we do away with that system. It was always meant to be temporary, but I didn't think I would get FTP access so rapidly. If for some reason it proves to still be necessary, all new users will be forced to view a topic simply asking them to post on why they want to join. Simple enough.

If it's the latter, every member has been/will be forced to read the thread telling them how to access those optional forums. Or at least should have been/should be. Did you get forced to read it yourself?

Gleeok
08-23-2012, 04:44 AM
Ah, gotcha. I did get that (along with a password expiration) message, but didn't realize it was mandatory.

MasterSwordUltima
08-23-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm sure some of you guys remember Acmlm's board. The one thing that really stood out to me on that board was the Header field that you got. It was essentially, a second signature field that appeared before your post entry. People would take advantage of that with HTML tables to make really cool post layouts. These ranged from video game inspired (making the posts look like they're from a video game, sprites and all) or anime, or just whatever. I think the potential of having a feature like that might make some people want to keep posting to see the interactivity of it all.

</suggestion>

Russ
08-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Maybe it's just on my end, but I'm not seeing any online button next to a person's profile, just text. For example:
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb181/Russ-/offline.png

It would be nice to be able to see the forum archives as well. I don't understand why those are hidden now.

And finally, a while ago, there was a way you could check the recent additions or subtractions to your reputation, and it would list out who have you rep you've received lately, from which member, on which post. I can't find it anymore, so if it's been removed, it would be nice to have back. And if it hasn't been removed, making it a bit easier to find might be nice.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-23-2012, 03:12 PM
The images to classic black will be restored in mid-September. In the meantime, I'll install a few new themes. It was already on the list, but we'll make it next priority.

ShadowTiger
08-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Maybe it's just on my end, but I'm not seeing any online button next to a person's profile, just text. For example:
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb181/Russ-/offline.png ctrl-alt-delete answered that question above. Anyway,

It would be nice to be able to see the forum archives as well. I don't understand why those are hidden now. Will look into that.

And finally, a while ago, there was a way you could check the recent additions or subtractions to your reputation, and it would list out who have you rep you've received lately, from which member, on which post. I can't find it anymore, so if it's been removed, it would be nice to have back. And if it hasn't been removed, making it a bit easier to find might be nice. I've just restored functionality to that part of the profile page. Check to see if you've got it?

The Satellite
08-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Erm, the usergroup giving you access to Tasty Edibles also gives you access to Think Tank, which I'm not a member of.

ShadowTiger
08-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks. Permissions are a lot more fine-tuned than IPB forums, but also a lot more .. uh .. "tunnel-vision" in operation, for lack of a better word.

King Aquamentus
08-23-2012, 05:59 PM
I would like to petition for the return of retro gaming reviews.

For a time, on AGN, we had a feature where users could write articles on games from consoles past (up to N64 I believe). Although I was the prominent writer, War Lord started the idea and a handful of other users got in on it.

I however would suggest a simpler system then the one War Lord did, which involved installing an actual new feature (like what Arcade is) to the board as a whole. Simply have a gaming review forum, and let users write their reviews here. If you want to subforum NES, Genesis, etc., you could do that too. The old system allowed for around 3 or 4 images, though I don't know what you'd plan to do about that (the images usually weren't that big)

The Satellite
08-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks. Permissions are a lot more fine-tuned than IPB forums, but also a lot more .. uh .. "tunnel-vision" in operation, for lack of a better word.That took care of it, thanks ST. ^_^

ctrl-alt-delete
08-23-2012, 08:03 PM
It would be nice to be able to see the forum archives as well. I don't understand why those are hidden now.

And finally, a while ago, there was a way you could check the recent additions or subtractions to your reputation, and it would list out who have you rep you've received lately, from which member, on which post. I can't find it anymore, so if it's been removed, it would be nice to have back. And if it hasn't been removed, making it a bit easier to find might be nice.

DD hid them at the last cleanup. Still not certain about restoring. Though we would like to, we don't want to step on DD and WLs toes.

I was literally fixing the permissions for that right as you posted it.

--Full Members, QDB Managers, and ZC Developers usergroup permissions have been corrected. Still need to double check the other usergroups and then finalize forum permissions.

I would like to petition for the return of retro gaming reviews.

For a time, on AGN, we had a feature where users could write articles on games from consoles past (up to N64 I believe). Although I was the prominent writer, War Lord started the idea and a handful of other users got in on it.

I however would suggest a simpler system then the one War Lord did, which involved installing an actual new feature (like what Arcade is) to the board as a whole. Simply have a gaming review forum, and let users write their reviews here. If you want to subforum NES, Genesis, etc., you could do that too. The old system allowed for around 3 or 4 images, though I don't know what you'd plan to do about that (the images usually weren't that big)

I may have mentioned it on the board somewhere, but I already mentioned this idea to ST. Basically it'd be a forum to review ANY media. Games, movies, books...as a way to check out what member friends are liking/disliking.

ShadowTiger
08-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Considering the very name of the forum community it's being discussed in, having an area of the forum devoted to special interest in gaming or other media is pretty important part of the interactive process.

The Satellite
08-23-2012, 08:09 PM
I might be interested in writing a few reviews. I've written a couple on PureZC for the hell of it, and I enjoy doing it, so I'd be willing to contribute.

DarkDragon
08-23-2012, 08:19 PM
I hid them? I can't remember why. I don't think there's any harm in letting people browse the ancient epic threads.

Russ
08-23-2012, 09:58 PM
I've just restored functionality to that part of the profile page. Check to see if you've got it?
It's working fine, thanks!

Edit: About the archives though, it only shows archived threads, not the archived forums (off the top of my head, I remember there being forums for the AGN expos, and I think for April Fools, among others).

ctrl-alt-delete
08-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Only just now began restoring them. I'm going to finish fixing the forum leader colors real fast, and then I'm headed to bed for the first time before 3:00AM in over a week.

I'll finish restoring them tomorrow and taking care of any necessary permissions. Thanks.

King Aquamentus
08-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Sadly we can't grandfather in any of the old reviews, as they are long-gone. But that's just an excuse to recycle old wit and pretend nobody noticed XD

ctrl-alt-delete
08-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Sadly we can't grandfather in any of the old reviews, as they are long-gone. But that's just an excuse to recycle old wit and pretend nobody noticed XD

Actually, it seems like I stumbled across them somewhere, perhaps the root backup. I'll see what I can come up with.

King Aquamentus
08-24-2012, 08:39 AM
really?? My interest is peaked

rocksfan13
08-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Suggestion:

Is there anyway the "Welcome to our newest member...." can be set to show members that were accepted and not ones that just registered.
I honestly think it's kinda dumb to have someone that was a spambot that was banned listed there.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Suggestion:

Is there anyway the "Welcome to our newest member...." can be set to show members that were accepted and not ones that just registered.
I honestly think it's kinda dumb to have someone that was a spambot that was banned listed there.

I was literally just discussing how annoying this is with my wife. I can set new registrations to invisible to prevent them from being viewed in the visitors and online lists, but there's always the chance real members won't know to switch it back.

The only thing that can be done is removing "Welcome to our newest member" altogether, and I don't think we really want to do that.

erm2003
08-24-2012, 11:25 AM
At least the banned members are showing up now with a strike through their user names on that list. That's nice. Did that just change or am I just noticing that now?

Brasel
08-24-2012, 01:06 PM
I haven't read through everything, so sorry if it's already been mentioned: The rank stars are showing up as broken links for me on three different computers.

*edit* That was fast!

ctrl-alt-delete
08-24-2012, 02:58 PM
At least the banned members are showing up now with a strike through their user names on that list. That's nice. Did that just change or am I just noticing that now?

Just noticing it. Been that way for a couple days.

I haven't read through everything, so sorry if it's already been mentioned: The rank stars are showing up as broken links for me on three different computers.

*edit* That was fast!

Indeed. I took a short nap and woke up to ranks. DD, I presume.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-24-2012, 06:05 PM
--DD has added links to the navbar for ZC.

--DD added blocks to the right side for recent posts and ZC alphas/betas.

--DD created some user ranks.

--DD fixed shardstorm scripts.

--DD added a logo to the top of the board.

Not sure what else he's been up to. Give him some credit, guys, he's on vacation in Europe.

--Restored GB and made usergroup for it.

--Simplified New Member registration in Welcome to AGN.

--Fixed some Usergroup permissions. Still have to look over quite a few more.

--Restored a very tiny portion of the archives and then got distracted. Will continue work on them after fixing rest of usergroup permissions.

--Fixed forum leaders page.

ShadowTiger
08-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Put in two new BBCode tags; both of which you are familiar with:

Spoiler:

Formatting:

Things being spoiled
-=SPOILER=-

Youtube:

y-1WujZZWfk

Formatting:
y-1WujZZWfk

I should mention that the most important thing to remember about the Youtube tag is that only the part in red goes between the tag, not the entire URL of the video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuRQjaOhwGM

---------------

Also, did you know you can make select BB tags not perform their function, and remain text instead, if you put empty BB Tags between them? I insert ][/b]][/b] in the middle of a tag. Works wonders.

Xyvol
08-24-2012, 08:18 PM
When viewing the forums through http://www.zeldaclassic.com, the buttons along the top are are all scrunched up. Probably due to the frame on the page. Is there a way to fix that?

Gleeok
08-24-2012, 08:42 PM
Suggestion: Lets bring back the retro "Gold and Blue" styles from 2002.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-24-2012, 09:39 PM
When viewing the forums through http://www.zeldaclassic.com, the buttons along the top are are all scrunched up. Probably due to the frame on the page. Is there a way to fix that?

Beyond me. Could you pm DD and/or LinktheMaster and see if it's possible and something he has time for? In the meantime, probably best to just browse at armageddongames.net.

Suggestion: Lets bring back the retro "Gold and Blue" styles from 2002.

I'll see what I can come up with within the next couple days. Honestly, all of these fixes have been very disorganized. I've been bouncing around a lot which is probably good as it keeps me from getting bored/annoyed/tired.

Gleeok
08-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Put in two new BBCode tags; both of which you are familiar with:

Spoiler:

Formatting:

-=SPOILER=- <----

Results in: -=SPOILER=-

Note: Does not function without the red text after the equals sign.

I think the spoiler tags are broken. (Quote this post to see the spoiler)

--> -=SPOILER=- <--

Saffith
08-24-2012, 10:59 PM
The ones at PureZC used to do that, too. Wouldn't show up at all if there was an image or quote in them. Fun to play with in the spam threads, but it does rather hinder their usability otherwise.

Xyvol
08-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Beyond me. Could you pm DD and/or LinktheMaster and see if it's possible and something he has time for? In the meantime, probably best to just browse at armageddongames.net.

Done. I sent DD a PM.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-24-2012, 11:23 PM
I think the spoiler tags are broken. (Quote this post to see the spoiler)

--> -=SPOILER=- <--

Fixed. Not very attractive, but it'll do for now.

Gleeok
08-25-2012, 03:00 AM
Thanks. Something else odd: Clicking on a spoiler with javascript disabled results in booting the user to the home page. :P

ctrl-alt-delete
08-25-2012, 03:21 AM
Thanks. Something else odd: Clicking on a spoiler with javascript disabled results in booting the user to the home page. :P

Known issue. I'll work on finding a better one here in a bit. Thanks.

Gleeok
08-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Probably just a small oversight, but guests cannot view the group forums. For GB this is probably a good idea, though not so good for others in general as number of groups increase, and masks forum activity.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Probably just a small oversight, but guests cannot view the group forums. For GB this is probably a good idea, though not so good for others in general as number of groups increase, and masks forum activity.

Good call. Meant to allow those. Still haven't completed usergroup permissions yet, but I'll fix that one now. Thank you.

--Fixed.

erm2003
08-25-2012, 10:52 AM
When viewing the mobile version of the site you can't read the titles of the boards or anything really. It was working earlier in the week which makes me think maybe the new post blocks may have broken it. Can someone look into that?

ctrl-alt-delete
08-25-2012, 11:22 AM
--DD found an image backup he had tucked away. Classic Black theme is fixed.

--Custom emoticons have been reuploaded.

--DD didn't transfer avatars back over. I brought back the Zelda ones that were already listed in the avatar options. Going to confirm if he wants to upload them all or not. If he does not, I'd be more than happy to reupload specific avatars that older members may have had and want back.

Messaged DD about mobile style. Only works as landscape for now.

Ventus
08-25-2012, 12:57 PM
You know I was looking at my profile and I can not read any of the text on the left side of the page, Should maybe change the color to something dark. where we can read the text on the white backgroud.

LinktheMaster
08-25-2012, 02:57 PM
You know I was looking at my profile and I can not read any of the text on the left side of the page, Should maybe change the color to something dark. where we can read the text on the white backgroud.This issue should be fixed. You may need to refresh your page.

Ventus
08-25-2012, 03:15 PM
This issue should be fixed. You may need to refresh your page.
Ah... that's better I can read it now just fine :) Thanks!

ctrl-alt-delete
08-25-2012, 04:02 PM
--Custom profile fields added for 3DS Friend Codes, Wii Numbers, Xbox Gamertags, and PSN IDs. I'll edit in all of the already public information and probably consolidate/remove the sticky threads in VGD. For Wii and DS, obviously we will still have to have those threads for individual games.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-26-2012, 04:35 AM
--Finalized user permissions other than archives, which will be restored at some point tomorrow.
--Custom profile fields added for Wii Number, 3DS Friend Code, etc. If you edit your profile with these, it's probably best to also post here. (http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?94622-All-Friend-Codes-ID-Names-topic)
--ST made spoilers much more attractive.
--LTM, ST, and possibly others are nearing completion of the new TOS and infraction system.
--LTM fixed the themes.

LinktheMaster
08-26-2012, 10:50 AM
When viewing the mobile version of the site you can't read the titles of the boards or anything really. It was working earlier in the week which makes me think maybe the new post blocks may have broken it. Can someone look into that?This issue should be resolved. I'm actually not sure why this would have been working earlier this week but not anymore.

CJC
08-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Could we perhaps add a list of usergroups to the profile pages? For example, mine would say "Moderators", "Members", "Forum Games", and "Think Tank". Members could use this to quickly determine where and how a certain user can post. Wink wink.

Also, I believe Glenn's suggestion, a usergroup for deceased members (http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?94490-Suggestions-Accomplishments&p=886167&viewfull=1#post886167), is a good idea, albeit probably with a different name (Perhaps "In Memory" or "Rest in Peace").

ctrl-alt-delete
08-26-2012, 01:20 PM
That should already be there, CJC. When I go to your profile I see "Permission Groups: Forum Games Member and Think Tank Member."

I'll wait and see what everybody else thinks about the RIP usergroup. We'll have to come up with other members who have passed. Rose is the only other one I can think of at the moment.

CJC
08-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Oh, I didn't see the permissions group box last time I looked. That'll teach me to post before checking!

erm2003
08-26-2012, 02:17 PM
This issue should be resolved. I'm actually not sure why this would have been working earlier this week but not anymore.

It is now working and looking great on my droid. Thanks LTM!

ctrl-alt-delete
08-27-2012, 03:27 AM
--Finalized usergroup permissions.
--Organized archives and made relevant ones public.
--Uploaded new logo. Special thanks to Bagel for creating it and my Triforce Quest sig image!
--Created Triforce quest (http://armageddongames.net/forumdisplay.php?192-Triforce-Quest). Seriously, check it out! Special thanks to Shadowtiger for creating the images and helping me run it and to Rambly for organizing and polishing the instructions for the game.

rocksfan13
08-27-2012, 07:30 AM
Awesomeness.

I also like how one can choose how they can be viewed if they carry more than 1 title.

Sephiroth
08-27-2012, 09:25 AM
--Created Triforce quest (http://armageddongames.net/forumdisplay.php?192-Triforce-Quest). Seriously, check it out! Special thanks to Shadowtiger for creating the images and helping me run it and to Rambly for organizing and polishing the instructions for the game.

Error No Permission. Is this an oversight?

erm2003
08-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Error No Permission. Is this an oversight?

You need to go under your settings and join the Forum Games usergroup first.

Sephiroth
08-27-2012, 03:01 PM
You need to go under your settings and join the Forum Games usergroup first.

But why, what is the purpose of forcing users to go through this additional step?

ctrl-alt-delete
08-27-2012, 04:07 PM
In addition to the reasons you read in chat, Warlord and DD wanted to reduce the amount of forums. Basically, they wanted anything non-Zelda Classic related to be in GD. This gives users the ability to opt in to forums they may not be interested in or mature enough for. If activity picks up enough and we feel it is justified, we will make the forums visible to all members again.

LinktheMaster
08-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Hey everyone. :smile:

I just wanted to let you all know that some minor changes to the main site were made. It's a work in progress, so there may be future changes over the next few months.

Here's a list of things that have been changed so far:

ZC 2.50 is now hosted on ZeldaClassic.com.
The old 4 column layout on the main site has been reduced to 3.
Links to AGN from the main site have been fixed to not display them embedded in the site.
The links in the left navigation menu have been changed up a little bit.
The newest version of Zelda Classic can now be downloaded on the home page.

Again, other changes may be made in the future, but we wanted to bring the site up to speed at least a little bit.

DarkDragon
08-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks, very nice work.

King Aquamentus
08-29-2012, 01:41 PM
the thread link at the beginning of the ZC.com submission form is broken, or the thread doesn't exist.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Fixed. Thank you.

ShadowTiger
09-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Finished with step 1 in the process of revamping the pip system. It still uses stars, though the quantities and variations are being transformed into a hybrid of the current system and what AGN used to have. They are far more varied, essentially.

King Aquamentus
09-04-2012, 11:40 AM
All forums are visible to everyone at the start, including General Bitching. Someone was saying that this was intentional, but I don't believe it. :/ Can the permission groups be fixed?

DarkDragon
09-04-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm not sure how CAD intended to set up the permissions, so for now I've cleaned up the permissions to be more consistent until he gets back:

- Unregistered, unconfirmed, and new users can view all public forums except GB but can't post,
- Except that new users can post replies in Welcome to AGN.

I don't think there's a need to lock down any forums besides GB :shrug:

King Aquamentus
09-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Considering that General Bitching may have contributed to AGN's previous member turnover (who am I kidding: it did), it would be pretty important to prioritize a permission on this one. Currently any full member can interact with it. :/

EDIT: additionally, there are some other inquiries I have, mostly relating to the factors of AGN's previous downfall(s):

We have measures in place for the adbots, but what about hacking? Can the members of the board expect some protection against this? I'd hate to see the things that led to AGN's inactivity rear their ugly heads again.

Oh, and were threads in the infraction tracker supposed to be open to additional posting? :/

erm2003
09-04-2012, 06:37 PM
GB used to have a post requirement. I think it was only accessible once a user acquired 100 posts so by then they were more familiar with AGN as a whole. Should something like that be used again?

King Aquamentus
09-04-2012, 06:40 PM
That sounds pretty damn good. Although, I'm wondering if 100 is enough...

Xyvol
09-04-2012, 09:00 PM
I was going to suggest adding words to the dictionary for spell checking, but then I found I can right-click a word and add it. So now I'm wondering if it's board specific, or something that's stored on my computer.

erm2003
09-04-2012, 09:24 PM
I was going to suggest adding words to the dictionary for spell checking, but then I found I can right-click a word and add it. So now I'm wondering if it's board specific, or something that's stored on my computer.

It may also be browser specific. Firefox (I think) and Chrome (I know) check spelling nicely when you type in any form when using the browser.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-04-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure how CAD intended to set up the permissions, so for now I've cleaned up the permissions to be more consistent until he gets back:

- Unregistered, unconfirmed, and new users can view all public forums except GB but can't post,
- Except that new users can post replies in Welcome to AGN.

I don't think there's a need to lock down any forums besides GB :shrug:

I made it impossible to see all the rest so that there would be no confusion on why they couldn't post. This works too though since I made that thread force read anyways.

And yes, all forums are public now due to increased activity. Individual members can be blocked out of GB with necessity through forum masks.

As far as hacks, weekly backups are being made. That frequency will probably increase when I get home. Other than that, once I get access, we will stay on top of keeping the forum software up to date. That should at least help.

Xyvol
09-05-2012, 05:00 AM
It may also be browser specific. Firefox (I think) and Chrome (I know) check spelling nicely when you type in any form when using the browser.

Yeah, it is. I'm using Chrome both at home and at work, and I had to do it again when I got on my laptop at home. For some reason I thought it was part of the text boxes for the board. Sorry.

DarkDragon
09-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Oh, and were threads in the infraction tracker supposed to be open to additional posting? :/

Only staff can read/post there, right? If so I think it's fine for people to comment on infractions.

CJC
09-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Just noticed that the 'new post' meter does not hide text that was in spoiler tags.

Could be a real problem, especially in the riddle threads (which is why I noticed it; my answer was not concealed)

Glenn the Great
09-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Only staff can read/post there, right? If so I think it's fine for people to comment on infractions.

Might as well, I assumed the whole point of the infractions being put in threads was to give staff a convenient place to discuss them :shrug:

King Aquamentus
09-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Alright, ok. It just seemed like more of an announcement thing at the time.

Saffith
09-10-2012, 07:13 PM
I notice the new post sidebar shows the contents of spoiler tags. Would that be hard to fix?

DarkDragon
09-10-2012, 08:14 PM
-=SPOILER=-

DarkDragon
09-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Yeah looks like it strips all bbcode out of the summaries. It's definitely possible to fix but probably requires a forum hack. If one of the other admins doesn't get around to it I'll take a look in the next few days.

DarkDragon
09-13-2012, 06:42 AM
-=SPOILER=-

EDIT: Spoilers fixed now.

Gleeok
09-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Minor issue: The color of the text for some drop-down menus (approve, move post, etc.) and icons under user avatars(reputation, report, etc.) in the classic black is a very dark grey making it really hard to read.

DarkDragon
09-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Fixed them.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-16-2012, 02:53 AM
ZC.com appears to have been...changed? Just curious what's going on with that?

Edit: Nevermind, must have been a browser issue.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-18-2012, 07:57 PM
There is a problem with our server sending and receiving emails. (Funny thing is, the warning I sent about pruning probably never got sent. Oops.)

Contacting DD to see about a potential fix.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-25-2012, 01:16 AM
Emailing other members has been turned off for numerous reasons. It will most likely not be returning. If you need to contact somebody privately, please use a PM. Sorry about any inconvenience.

erm2003
09-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Spoilers issue again. The ones in this thread seemed to be ok, but if you look at the post linked below, the spoiler tag is different and you could read it clearly on the new forum posts widget on the main forum page.

http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?94807-Returning-Fall-Shows&p=888584&viewfull=1#post888584

ctrl-alt-delete
09-25-2012, 11:27 PM
The old spoiler tag was used. It's been deleted.

Ventus
09-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Is the
tag supposed to work like this?

[code]http://imageshack.us/a/img841/8787/agnnewnewbanner.png

Shouldn't the
tag ignore the image tag like this

[code]img]http://imageshack.us/a/img841/8787/agnnewnewbanner.png[/img]
Removed [ to show how I think it should work.

Or is that the way its supposed to be?. Its just at every forum I've been to the code tag ingnore the [IMG] tags.

CJC
09-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Yeah, the code tag appears to be broken, since any bbcode you place in there activates as if it were a quote.

For example

This should show how to bold text

But it just bolds the text.

DarkDragon
09-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Yes, the tag isn't working, which is strange because it's a built-in vB tag that we haven't touched...

I investigate; in the meantime I think [noparse] can be used as a replacement:

Bold text

DarkDragon
09-28-2012, 03:41 AM
I kicked this upstairs (https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/408332-code-tag-deletes-HTML-inside-of-it?p=2344089#post2344089) and apparently it's intentional that BB codes aren't escaped inside code tags. You should use [noparse] for that instead.

Ventus
09-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Huh... That's weird that the code tags won't ignore the other BB codes. Oh well [noparse] it is then. Thanks DarkDragon.

ShadowTiger
09-28-2012, 05:55 PM
It's strange, actually. A while ago, used to do the same thing as noparse - If placed inside a BB tag, it would display the actual BB tag without parsing it. Now the tag pairs eliminate themselves and let the tags parse again. I wonder what happened.

Doesn't matter or anything - just adding my thoughts.

trudatman
10-08-2012, 12:36 AM
I'm still hoping that somebody is going to move the misplaced quests from the 1.90 section of the database. if the screenshots show a map title other than "level 1" and the likes, it is not a 1.90 quest. if there are layered weather effects, it is not a 1.90 quest. I can't seem to find my previous posts about this issue.

erm2003
10-08-2012, 09:15 AM
These are easy fixes if we know what the quest name is and what the proper version of ZC is. It is possible that the submission was sent with the wrong version of ZC selected. In that case the QDB managers really don't have time to confirm that information because unless we play it and look for little issues we can't tell from our end. Also it's been quite a while since I have used ZC so I am sure I have forgotten some of the differences between the alphas and betas myself.

Moral of the story - for anyone submitting quests to the QDB please make sure your ZC version is listed correctly to ensure your quest is playable!

trudatman
10-08-2012, 10:26 AM
I posted twice with a big list of which ones where mislabeled as 1.90 quests, but I can't seem to find the posts (the search here isn't easy for some reason). one of the places I posted such a list was in the Somewhere In Between thread, but I can't seem to find that at all. I'm not sure why that is... but if you view 1.90 quests by date, most of the listed quests from the past eight years are not really 1.90 quests.

edit: I found one of them. I tried to search for "somewhere between," but those words are reportedly "too common!" pssh! I tried to search for "database" by "trudatman," but somehow that failed to show this post in which I used the word "database." damn, our search flat out SUCKS, here. when I searched for posts by "Russ," I found this:

http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?94480-Updating-a-Quest-in-the-Database&p=887747&viewfull=1#post887747

erm2003
10-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Ok I took a look at them all. I can see there are some problems with the version on the submission. There could have been a processing error. The issue is the version is not stated in the description either. I would need the quest authors to contact me with the proper version numbers to make sure it does get changed correctly. A PM to me will do fine.

A general rule. Since the site has had so much happen to it, I would suggest that any active members that have submitted quests in the past double check their quest on the site. Make sure the basic info in the database is accurate to ensure when someone downloads a quest that it is playable with the recommended version of ZC.

DarkDragon
10-08-2012, 12:05 PM
I posted twice with a big list of which ones where mislabeled as 1.90 quests, but I can't seem to find the posts (the search here isn't easy for some reason). one of the places I posted such a list was in the Somewhere In Between thread, but I can't seem to find that at all. I'm not sure why that is... but if you view 1.90 quests by date, most of the listed quests from the past eight years are not really 1.90 quests.

edit: I found one of them. I tried to search for "somewhere between," but those words are reportedly "too common!" pssh! I tried to search for "database" by "trudatman," but somehow that failed to show this post in which I used the word "database." damn, our search flat out SUCKS, here. when I searched for posts by "Russ," I found this:

http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?94480-Updating-a-Quest-in-the-Database&p=887747&viewfull=1#post887747

Are all of these 2.10 quests?

ctrl-alt-delete
10-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Found a slightly convenient way to sort through existing spam users. (It lists all members, but shows their signatures too.) Wish I had used this method before deleting all homepages, but what can you do.

330 spam account removed.

All spam should be removed from AGN. (Other than spam that slipped through the cracks in threads several pages back. If you see any, report please.)

Still plan on pruning members who haven't logged in for at least a year and have less than 10 posts all the way through August 2013.

ctrl-alt-delete
11-21-2012, 07:43 PM
I know it probably seems like we haven't been working, but most things have been behind the scenes. Here are some updates you may not have noticed:

Darkdragon fixed a problem with uploading quests to the database.
Uploaded 61 missing quests to the QDB. We still have 145 quests that are going to be uploaded once we take care of some small maintenance. Also updated/fixed broken links to 36 quests in the QDB. @SUCCESSOR (http://armageddongames.net/member.php?u=38528) and @DarkDragon (http://armageddongames.net/member.php?u=1) were major contributors.
Coded an upload page for Triforce Quest so that others can help run the game. rocksfan13 has been doing an excellent job.
Created new forums for the return of Shattered Earth. @MasterSwordUltima (http://armageddongames.net/member.php?u=38763) will have more concerning this soon.
Consolidated the ZC Scripting forums.
Restored access to AGN emails. This helps with users attempting to contact us, hacks, etc.
Made a few staff changes.

That's all I can think of for right now, other than the threads we've created in this forum with announcements. We're hard at work, and still have some surprises coming.

As always, post here if you have any suggestions or problems.

SUCCESSOR
11-21-2012, 08:27 PM
We also updated information and links on ZC.com. Nothing most would notice but it was done.