PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of doing a Crystalis remake with ZQ

mihalis
03-02-2012, 09:44 AM
It's just an idea I had... Of course it wouldn't be exactly like the original--that's not the point. I would use the 8-directional option but I'm thinking I might run into a few snags, so that's why I'm posting this. The main issue I'm be concerned about is whether it's possible to add elemental attributes to swords using ZQ (i.e. certain enemies would only be weak against certain swords and not others), and also whether it would be possible to change swords at will during the course of gameplay similar to the way you would with other items. I think I could probably manage the rest. If it's not possible, does anyone have any suggestions for an action RPG creation tool which might allow me to do this? I'm pretty sure RPG Maker is only turn-based, so that's a no-go. Thanks in advance!

King Aquamentus
03-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Once long ago, I had almost attempted something similar. You'll find quite a bit of difficulty in having access to multiple swords though. At most, when you get a different sword, it will replace the previous one. A script might be able to swap them out on command or something though...

Have you thought about the balls and bracelets yet?

mihalis
03-05-2012, 10:16 AM
I figured if I could get the swords figured out, I could use a similar method of swapping for the balls and bracelets. I guess my main reasons for the post were to see first of all if there would be an interest in such a remake, and second, if this would be the right to engine with which to attempt this. Years ago I did a remake of FF1 for the PC and a lot of people followed it to completion, which in part, motivated me to keep going with it. If there is no interest in the remake, I know that I'd be less likely to stay focused on it and probably wouldn't (this things can take months, at minimum, as I actually do have a life...lol). I want to be absolutely sure I'm using the correct engine, too. If I need to write a sword-swapping script, I need to get that out of the way first, as well as the balls and bracelets, the status ailments (poison, paralysis, petrification, slime), etc. The last thing I want to do is get several months in and hit an "unbeatable" snag. Does anyone have a suggestion for any other engines which are more versatile or do you think ZQuest is the way to go?

gamewizard
06-13-2012, 10:48 AM
do it man that would be awsome

mitsymckenzie777
04-12-2014, 12:14 AM
I know this is an old thread but...

I have a similar idea only it's not Crystalis but it features multiple elemental swords. I was wondering if since v2.50 if multiple swords are able to be scripted. I've been messing around trying to get this to work but haven't quite mastered the scripting yet. I've already completed the first non Triforce related dungeon in my game.

King Aquamentus
04-13-2014, 10:21 AM
actually, you might not even need scripts now. I'm not familiar with it, but a feature called "item override" may allow you to have two or more of a type of item.

mitsymckenzie777
04-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Yea last night I found that out but thank you. Now I'm trying to get the sword specific effects to work which I'm guessing I'll need scripts to bypass other swords doing the same thing. Such as Master doing the same as Magic and White swords. so the swords will be independent.

King Aquamentus
04-14-2014, 11:42 AM
No, each item has very specific settings; they just often have the same settings.