PDA

View Full Version : Shattered Earth still lives...

MasterSwordUltima
02-29-2012, 05:41 AM
In some bizarre testament to this strange immortality that AGN possesses, I present to you all a link to download Shattered Earth 2. Giant Rats and Bats are coming soon.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64440954/ShatteredEarth2.zip

Just extract all of those to a new folder, install the eo_runtimes (you might need to throw the executables into Windows XP Service Pack 2/3 mode, assuming you're on a 64 bit or higher machine), and then run Shattered Earth 2.exe. It'll download the client and all applicable files. That acts as the auto-updater too, so just run that whenever you want to play.

This means I'll be needing some mappers eventually too. Just sayin'.

Dechipher
03-03-2012, 12:55 AM
....mac? :(

Master Ghaleon
03-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Oh yes :) it has finally come back !

Also remember this is just a start to SE2. There is only so many things you can do for now. Maybe it would be good for the new players to know what keys to use for certain things. Like Ctrl is the attack button and etc

Prrkitty
03-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Boo! Hope all is well with everyone. Nice to see SE is still churning in the shadows :)

Master Ghaleon
03-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Time to do some voodoo and try to direct past players to this thread!

Glenn the Great
03-08-2012, 02:03 AM
....mac? :(

Mac is for chumps. Hipster chumps.
Try not to let your turtleneck and skinny jeans reduce your bloodflow too much.

Dechipher
03-08-2012, 02:05 AM
Mac is for musicians, who have absolutely no interest in programming

Fixed, sugar pie :)

Glenn the Great
03-08-2012, 02:08 AM
What are your favorite music acts?

Dechipher
03-08-2012, 02:14 AM
I like a lot of music.
Pop music: RHCP, Ratatat, Opeth, CKY, Clutch, Metallica, A.F.I., Streetlight Manifesto, Ben Folds, Black Sabbath, Blink 182, The Cinematic Orchestra, Coldplay, Death Cab for Cutie, Dream Theater, The Dresden Dolls, Eminem, Explosions in the Sky, Fair to Midland, Fall Out Boy, and a bunch of other shit.
Else: I really like Shostakovich, Mahler, Stravinsky, Maslanka.

In case you're wondering, I have my Bachelor's in Music and am halfway through my Master's in Music, so it's hard to narrow things down for me. My hobby = my craft = my career.

Glenn the Great
03-08-2012, 02:24 AM
So when you and the other hipsters start comparing the non-mainstremity of your dicks, you can back yours up with formal education? Niiice!

Well, as you probably know, I'm a programmer by trade. It was, and sometimes still is, my hobby... but the demands of my job make it so that I almost don't want to see a computer when I get home. A shame, really. But that's life.

Dechipher
03-08-2012, 02:30 AM
Glenn, nothing you just said was relevant at all.

Glenn the Great
03-08-2012, 02:30 AM
Even though you don't think so, I'm still happy that you read it :)

Dechipher
03-08-2012, 02:32 AM
AGN functions at a rate of -2 posts per hour. I think I can handle reading the occasional insecure jab :)

Glenn the Great
03-08-2012, 02:41 AM
If you say so, Chippy.

Dechipher
03-08-2012, 02:43 AM
Don't hate, son. We're not as alone as you think.

bigjoe
03-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Either I'm witnessing drama or I'm wishing I was. :unhappy:

King Aquamentus
03-08-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm sittin back with a bowl of popcorn, this is entertaining. ;)

Dechipher
03-08-2012, 06:23 PM
I may have had a few drinks. Ha.

Flash Man
03-09-2012, 12:55 PM
The client seemed to work fine. I ran into an where I had to run install_eo_runtimes twice; both times were under elevated privileges. In addition after closing the main form and logging back in the system would just render a black box where the game play took place. Closing the entire application and launching it again seemed to resolve this. I am running on Windows 7 x64 Professional. You may also consider encrypting the password before sending it.

I forget how to play the game, but when I registered I was unable to attack the slime (I assumed by moving into it). I did not have any skills or items (besides gold) that appeared to be beneficial.

... but the demands of my job make it so that I almost don't want to see a computer when I get home.

The right trade, but the wrong company? I know leaving on Friday at 4PM, and not having to work overtime to meet outrageous deadlines contributes to making my life easier. It also seems to contradict policies that I hear about other's companies.

Glenn the Great
03-09-2012, 01:52 PM
I forget how to play the game, but when I registered I was unable to attack the slime (I assumed by moving into it). I did not have any skills or items (besides gold) that appeared to be beneficial.

The game can be a little confusing at first without a readme. Here are some things you should know:

- Ctrl is your melee attack key. There is an invisible cooldown between swings, but you can hold it down to keep attacking.
- Pick up items by walking over them and hitting Enter. You can hold Enter down while you walk to keep picking things up.
- You're going to want to buy a good weapon as soon as possible. Collect some gold from the small slimes, exit the starter cave, walk to the town of Freeport.
- Freeport currently has a weapon/armor shop, an item/magic shop, and a bank. The shopping interface is pretty wonky, but a little experimentation with left/right click will see you right.
- Remember to equip your weapons/armor or they do nothing. You can see what you're wearing on your character pane. If you accidently drop something while trying to equip it, pick it back up with Enter before someone steals it from you!
- What stats should I raise? Figure that out yourself, but here's what they affect (assuming that MSU hasn't tweaked the formulas):

Strength: Melee damage, parry chance, damage reduction on shield block
Endurance: Health
Agility: Damage reduction, dodge chance, crit chance
Intellect: Mana
Willpower: Health/Mana regen

- Some items may require a minimum value in a stat. The Cure, Fire and Ice spells can't be learned without 5 points of Int.
- To cast a spell, you have to use it from your hotkey bar, and have a target selected (click on it). You must target yourself to cure yourself.
- If you find yourself wanting to rotate your character in place, tap End.
- If you find yourself just wanting it all to be over, please consider donating your person to the ant lions so that the cycle of life can continue. They can be found at the bottom of the starter cave.

Nicholas Steel
03-10-2012, 09:22 AM
- In the start cave, traveling between areas results in weird transitions to a completely irrelevant place before it moves you to the correct place.
- How does one become a moderator? I'd like to be a moderator while still retaining the need to level up and upgrade gear etc. (Retain the sense of progression)
- Can support for larger window sizes/fullscreen happen at some point with scaled up graphics? At the moment the game feels like it was developed for budget laptops/old 4:3 CRT's and not modern 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 LCD's.
- The Overworld and town music distorts slightly?
- Upon entering the weapon Shop, I got this reproducible problem:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: client.exe
Application Version: 1.3.0.2
Application Timestamp: 4f4ea031
Fault Module Name: client.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.3.0.2
Fault Module Timestamp: 4f4ea031
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0006c9c8
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: f163
Additional Information 2: f163a12584c16b5a1d29f3cb66eb6c96
Additional Information 3: 11c3
Additional Information 4: 11c30f6b993b6832b92f23cfac591e98

- I get a fair bit (Lots) of rubber banding some times after an area transition. My Ping is around 281~ but it doesn't update frequently enough. Sometimes after a area transition it skyrockets to 500 to 800~
- It would be cool if there was a combat log keeping track of damage you deal and damage you recieve and status effects etc.

ctrl-alt-delete
03-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Could we get some server information?

Nicholas Steel
03-12-2012, 01:45 AM
If you manually copy msinet.ocx to the System32 folder then you no longer need to use Windows XP compatibility mode. Perhaps you can implement a way to check if the user is running Windows Vista or 7 and if they are, check that the file exists in the System32 folder and if it doesn't, copy it over and then recheck?

rwonzyoaoyd
03-30-2012, 02:40 AM
Thank you for sharing

Din
04-01-2012, 01:57 AM
Holy crap! When did this happen?

This is fantastic! I've held onto the relaunch of Shattered Earth I set up a couple of years ago. It includes almost all of the publicly available maps from beta. If you can make use of it, just say so, and I'd be more than happy to give it to you.

SUCCESSOR
05-23-2012, 05:28 AM
Awwwww! (This has nothing to do with SE2, btw.) I missed an entertaining back and forth between Glenn and Dechipher. For the first time in a long time I actually felt like I was at AGN. *Eyes welling up*

Tim
05-23-2012, 10:48 PM
I find it severely ironic that the day I think of Shattered Earth and look on AGN, I find this thread.

Kudos.

Dechipher
05-25-2012, 10:56 PM
I did it for you, Successor. All for you.
And moocow.

Dechipher
07-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Oh my god. They're spamming us in French now. As if it wasn't enough of an insult to come in here and urinate all over the smoldering ashes of a dead forum, but they have to do it in French? AND broken HTML? :(

ctrl-alt-delete
08-16-2012, 11:01 PM
Any progress, MSU?

Tim
09-06-2012, 12:00 AM
I also want to bump this thread until it bleeds...

I miss mapping.