PDA

View Full Version : -32bit, -24bit and -16bit parameters cause a failure to initialize display

Nicholas Steel
09-23-2011, 06:23 AM
All of them result in the display failing to properly initialized here, and -15bit works but the program runs in 8bit mode according to the Video Mode option present within the Zelda Classic menu interface accessible by pressing Escape.

* ZC: Added the following command line arguments: -0bit, -8bit, -15bit, -16bit, -24bit, -32bit. -- Also added a "color_depth" option to the config file which can be set similarly. These default to 8. *Note that setting these to 0 will use the current color depth of your monitor, so if you need to change these for any reason it is recommended to use 0 or -0bit for that very reason, which should have the best performance. ( Gleeok, 2011-08-14 01:47:12 )

Gleeok
09-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Huh? When did the new build come out?!

I was basically trying to fix the mega-slowdown issues some windows 7 users get when running ZC with those changes. At the time it seems very promising to just initialize the graphics to 32-bit and simply use allegro 8-bit bitmaps (this is supposed to be supported by allegro anyway..) to circumvent what allegro is doing when the graphics depth is 8 and the users gfx is running in 32, however this is quickly becoming more and more problematic as more weird things happen due to some enigmatic coercion between both ZC and allegro (EVIL!). ..And by weird I mean crash. <_<

Right now it looks like ZQ is a lost cause and won't have those options, though ZC with -32bit 320x240 res (320x240 only!) works pretty good (Minus a few crashes incurred by menu selections that call internal stuff that pushes pixels).

Nicholas Steel
09-24-2011, 07:12 AM
Well, when running Release 1401 Zelda-w.exe with the -32bit, -24bit and -16bit parameters on the command line results in Zelda Classic not rendering correctly. I assume it should ignore the -32bit and -24bit parameters if they weren't implemented yet? Will support for 640x480 with sbig=1 be supported by these commands at some point?

eg: zelda-w.exe -32bit

Saffith
11-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Those aren't in build 1401. I'm not sure why they would have any effect at all.

Nicholas Steel
02-28-2012, 12:12 AM
though ZC with -32bit 320x240 res (320x240 only!) works pretty good (Minus a few crashes incurred by menu selections that call internal stuff that pushes pixels).Nope, tested it out on Release Candidate 3 and it exhibits strange graphics immediately. I edited ag.cfg to change the resolution and colour depth, I tried 32, 24 and 16 and none of them work very well at all, with 24bit only working in a Windowed mode and then crashing after a short while. (The rest of the modes are useable and reach the character selection screen but text and graphics are too garbled. I was able to access the menu and exit ZC gracefully.)

Saffith
03-02-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm not sure there's any reason to support these options... They seem to make the game slower rather than faster, and I found another way to make ZC work with Aero. There's no benefit left that I'm aware of.