PDA

View Full Version : Do we even want this place to regain some awesomeness?

Dechipher
07-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Do we? There's a lot of old members that appear to feel how I do: "Well shit man, we had a good run. I come here maybe once a month. Too bad"
I mean, I stop by and post every now and then, but I'm not really committed to it. Yet, if there were a rise in forum activity, I would totally be more inclined to come here. I just forget about AGN sometimes.
I think that if we (as in the member base that actually have some emotional attachment to this place, big or small (and I'm not just talking about join date)) consciously decided "Hey, I actually give a shit if this place is around" then it wouldn't take much more than stopping by once a day, making AGN your home page - something like that. I don't do that so much, cause it seems futile when there's like 4 new posts per day. I KNOW that we all haven't quit the internet, right? A lot of us came here for ZC but I think we found something a lot more.
Disclaimer: I am a well-adjusted adult with a very bright future with a career in music. I promise that this is not some sad attempt to keep my only friends in my life close - I just actually kinda care about this place and would like to see it return. If it did, I'd be here. I mean - what's the worst that could happen? We try to build this place back up for a month and it fails?

Chris Miller
07-14-2011, 11:41 PM
I'm with you on that, strange as it may seem. :)
As I see it, there are three short-term problems that need to be overcome.
1) Projects. AGN needs something to attract new members. Let's be honest. Although this is the official home of Zelda Classic, most of the action's over at PureZC.
2) Site design. There is no main website page and the forums are using the stock-standard vBulletin theme. Not a good starting point.
3) Spambots. Having a large number of spambot posts is an obvious sign of dead forum and staff that aren't around. This isn't attractive.

rocksfan13
07-15-2011, 08:19 AM
A lot of discussion and concern has been put into this.

There are quite a few members that feel that ZC's main site is dying.

I, for one, would love to see this site back up to full functionality.
I agree with what callitaday posted.

This forum never fully recovered from its last major hack. Hence why it still has the default VBulletin skin.
I rather enjoyed the Nintendo theme it had going.
A lot of the functions were also not restored, and by my understanding PM is broken too.
At least the ZC main site is running, but it also has its flaws.

What needs done is a new younger Staff needs brought on. Not necessarily as admins.
One that can dedicate themselves to restoring the site and functionality.
And, setting up a captcha for registration. This alone will reduce the amount of spam bots we get.

Simply put, I love this site and would hate to see it die off.

King Aquamentus
07-15-2011, 08:33 AM
What exactly would need to be done, rocksfan? To restore the site/functionality?

LORD APOCALYPSE
07-15-2011, 11:40 AM
The spam bots are mighty annoying! I'd like to see the old gang back. :P

rocksfan13
07-15-2011, 02:35 PM
What exactly would need to be done, rocksfan? To restore the site/functionality?

There are lots of things that haven't gone back to the way it was.
There used to be a place in the personal control panel that told you what someone said for any reputation given. That's gone.
PM is broken.
Spam Bots are out of control. Need something to regulate their registration.
No REAL active admin is on, or at least posting updates.
I rather enjoyed the arcade too. That's gone as well.
The nintendo skin is no longer available or there. Neither is there any other option.
I'm glad that the ZC site is working, but still has issues.
Comments on quests still aren't working.

I don't think we'll realy see any of the classic crew come back to this place. Though I love to see it, I won't hold my breath.
They have lives now and chose to have those.
A young crowd would be the best way to re-establish AGN.

Dechipher
07-16-2011, 05:27 AM
I just think there needs to be daily posting. Shit that is interesting. I don't care about any of that shit you posted, rocksfan13 (no offense, obviously). I just want people talking and active. This place is still here, we all still remember. So let's do something with it. All the technical shit can get sorted out along the way, but I honestly feel it begins with bodies in chairs, typing posts on the boards. That's what keeps AGN going.

King Aquamentus
07-16-2011, 09:12 AM
There are lots of things that haven't gone back to the way it was.
There used to be a place in the personal control panel that told you what someone said for any reputation given. That's gone.
PM is broken.
Spam Bots are out of control. Need something to regulate their registration.
No REAL active admin is on, or at least posting updates.
I rather enjoyed the arcade too. That's gone as well.
The nintendo skin is no longer available or there. Neither is there any other option.
I'm glad that the ZC site is working, but still has issues.
Comments on quests still aren't working.

I don't think we'll realy see any of the classic crew come back to this place. Though I love to see it, I won't hold my breath.
They have lives now and chose to have those.
A young crowd would be the best way to re-establish AGN.

The thing of it is, HTML is a weakness of mine. I'd like to help, but I'm not fluent in that language.
Do you guys think you could convince some PureZC members to come over? A: They might not be willing due to everything this board's been pelted with, and B: Obviously, no post advertising on PureZC. But there's gotta be *some* way.

Dechipher
07-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Again, I reiterate my previous point. If the people that are already here aren't willing to post here, then no one else is going to want to join and become an active poster.
I think we need to decide to actually make an effort to post here, or just give up already. We meander around talking about days when the board was more active. I've seen lots of old faces around here. All it takes is those of us that are here to stop by every day and make it more of a routine. 10 minutes each night from 20 members for a month would do wonders. I would actually be down for posting more here, and I'm starting to more, but there's no way in hell anyone is going to come here just to talk to me. We need all the zany wackjobs that are already registered here to start posting again.

ctrl-alt-delete
07-16-2011, 04:16 PM
How about we admit that forums in general are incredibly outdated and make a Facebook group for AGN specifically where we can all chat it up about whatever we want?

Here, this. (http://www.facebook.com/groups/220694064632352)

hellebeest
07-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Asked to join the FBgroup under a slightly different name... ok hell of different name :D

rocksfan13
07-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Request placed.

Not a bad idea. Let's see how far this goes.

King Aquamentus
07-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Alright I'm in.. >_>

Master Ghaleon
07-18-2011, 06:46 PM
How about we admit that forums in general are incredibly outdated and make a Facebook group for AGN specifically where we can all chat it up about whatever we want?

I believe you hit it right on the button. Forums are still useful to a point, where as Facebook we can just chat it up. I would love to see AGN with a Shattered Earth kind of game again. I would play it, and it might attract more people.

Chris Miller
07-18-2011, 07:31 PM
I believe you hit it right on the button. Forums are still useful to a point, where as Facebook we can just chat it up. I would love to see AGN with a Shattered Earth kind of game again. I would play it, and it might attract more people.

There are ways in which Facebook can't match a good message board, simply by design.
On a forum like this, everything's (relatively)neatly organized by subject and topic. It's a simple matter to search all the way back to 2001 for information on an old quest, for example, or an old thread that might still be useful today. Since I don't have a Facebook account, I can't say for 100% sure, but it seems like it would be a lot harder to do that on Facebook.

ctrl-alt-delete
07-18-2011, 07:56 PM
There are ways in which Facebook can't match a good message board, simply by design.
On a forum like this, everything's (relatively)neatly organized by subject and topic. It's a simple matter to search all the way back to 2001 for information on an old quest, for example, or an old thread that might still be useful today. Since I don't have a Facebook account, I can't say for 100% sure, but it seems like it would be a lot harder to do that on Facebook.

Fix that by getting one and joining us, because we're actually already having a blast. Haha.

Completely agree with you about forums, but AGN has seemed more like a chore than a hobby for many, many years.

Chris Miller
07-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Fix that by getting one and joining us, because we're actually already having a blast. Haha.

Completely agree with you about forums, but AGN has seemed more like a chore than a hobby for many, many years.
That's because there hasn't been any help for many, many years. :D
This does beg the question, who is paying the bill?
EDIT: I don't have a Facebook because I'm more of a go-to-your-house-and-sit-on-your-couch kind of guy.

MasterSwordUltima
07-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Really - all the posting is happening over at the AGN facebook group. Talkin' about Moocow's dragon and tv shows and junk.

Wait, wtf callitaday? Did you just justify not having a facebook for...but, you're doing the same damn thing on an internet forum!? what!? Get on the fucking facebook group

ctrl-alt-delete
07-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Really - all the posting is happening over at the AGN facebook group. Talkin' about Moocow's dragon and tv shows and junk.

Wait, wtf callitaday? Did you just justify not having a facebook for...but, you're doing the same damn thing on an internet forum!? what!? Get on the fucking facebook group

I would Like this, but you can only do that on Facebook. Lmfao.

Guess what, callitaday? My little Facebook group has actually led to Dark Dragon contacting War Lord to regain access to the site so that he can fix everything. So expect the forums to go down sometime soon...while they're down, feel free to join us on Facebook...

...Facebook.

MasterSwordUltima
07-18-2011, 08:55 PM
MasterSwordUltima likes this.

Dechipher
07-19-2011, 02:00 PM
That's because there hasn't been any help for many, many years. :D
This does beg the question, who is paying the bill?
EDIT: I don't have a Facebook because I'm more of a go-to-your-house-and-sit-on-your-couch kind of guy.
go-to-your-house-and-masturbate-on-your-couch

Chris Miller
07-19-2011, 10:38 PM
go-to-your-house-and-masturbate-on-your-couch

Been there, done that...your couch, that is.

Orion
07-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Maybe I missed it, but where is the link to this fabled facebook group?

ctrl-alt-delete
07-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Here you go, Orion.
(http://www.facebook.com/groups/220694064632352)

LORD APOCALYPSE
07-20-2011, 06:47 PM
I asked to join, "Niju Rosu" on FB by the way.

The only thing about facebook is, how the hell are we gonna know who's who, lol. I go by username but most have their real names. :/

MasterSwordUltima
07-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Well - everyone has their real names on the facebook group. That's why there's the handy Usernames/Realnames document on the group.

Glenn the Great
07-20-2011, 11:40 PM
I think Kolt's got it right. Most of us haven't quit the Internet... it's just that forums are so 2000s. Most people have moved on to Facebook.

I can't say how long it will last, but the Facebook group is doing great right now and I almost want to say that it is capturing the spirit of old-school AGN for me.

LORD APOCALYPSE
07-21-2011, 05:26 AM
Perhaps another aspect is that fact that facebook is less hassle to update on the move, ie using a mobile phone. (cellphone for my american friends).

Sure there is apps for forums for android and iphone but, facebook is just easier and quicker to use on a phone.

ZTC
07-21-2011, 04:30 PM
I asked to join, "Niju Rosu" on FB by the way.

The only thing about facebook is, how the hell are we gonna know who's who, lol. I go by username but most have their real names. :/

you're not the only one lol. Besides having a good project here again (Shattared Earth, Men in Blue), bring back the old site styles and fix Classic Black. It kinda takes away from the feel of AGN without Classic Black/Elite and an arcade

Much has changed over the years, but it's possible to get this forum going again. Just needs some "oomph"

Also, seems that private messaging is broken due to a missing private.php