PDA

View Full Version : Game Maker Thread

MotleyCrueFan
03-09-2011, 04:19 PM
*Only if staff, rules, both are okay or better or both with such and is completely safe and completely legal to upload and download*

Look up Game Maker help manual (F1) about place_meeting x vspeed symbols direction place_free instance_id object_id instance_exists sprite_exists object_exists atleast quickly read if desired (wanted), needed or both please, thank you.

Yes I have helped out before or atleast after making this thread check my posts if desired to be sure.

Each { and } stays on its own line

Yes it is me whose face is shown and whose voice is heard in the video
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCRbLyWa5Tk

Talk about, give hints on, give complaints on, ask for help on, *upload downloadable example or examples or both (example(s)), tutorial(s), game(s), other(s) made with* Game Maker (GMr).

I'll start note Game Maker is about Video Games and video game making so this is why I put this thread in this forum.

How to learn Game Maker Language (GML) fastest and easiest feel free to copy, edit, broadcast, cut, paste, distribute etc. as long as completely safe and completely legal

Note to bring up Windows Task Manager press down ctrl and while holding down ctrl press down alt and while holding down ctrl and alt press down delete and then release ctrl alt delete buttons.

Before using any while or do until or begin end statements make sure that Windows Task Manager can come up safely by making one room in Game Maker then press down F5 and release F5 and then when game is loaded press down F4 and then release F4 and bring up Windows Task Manager if you can bring up Windows Task Manager and close stuff easily please do one of while or do until or begin end statements at a time if game(s), other(s) freezes bring up Windows Task Manager and close the game.

Here are some examples of codings note any number can be replace with any number and any other can be replaced with any other

Do not count $ $ as code $ $ means stays on one line
/ can be replaced with + or - or * or = or blank (nothing)
+ can be replaced with - or = or * or / or blank
- can be replaced with + or = or * or / or blank
= can be replaced with + or / or * or - or blank

$if (place_meeting(x/min(instance_id(1111111).vspeed mod 180000000000000,Seth.hspeed/10 div 10/sprite_width,Tornado.hspeed/10 div 10/sprite_width,instance_id(1111111).vspeed mod 180000000000000,Seth.hspeed/10 div 10/sprite_width))),y/x/min(instance_id(1111111).vspeed mod 180000000000000,Seth.hspeed/10 div 10/sprite_width,Tornado.hspeed/10 div 10/sprite_width,instance_id(1111111).vspeed mod 180000000000000,Seth.hspeed/10 div 10/sprite_width),object0)))$
{
$x +=min(instance_id(1111111).vspeed mod 180000000000000,Seth.hspeed/10 div 10/sprite_width,Tornado.hspeed/10 div 10/sprite_width,instance_id(1111111).vspeed mod 180000000000000,Seth.hspeed/10 div 10/sprite_width);$
}

$if (place_free(x/sprite_height/instance_id(1111111).y,y)$
{
$y -= place_free(x/sprite_height/instance_id(111111).y,y);$
}

$if (place_meeting(x,y+1,object1))
{
$Meow = place_meeting(x,y+1,object1);$
$with(Meow) floor(random(14-1)) instance_change(objectDeadEnemy,true);$
}

Gleeok
03-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Game Maker sucks. :)

cbailey78
05-28-2011, 01:11 AM
Game Maker sucks. :)

What's the part do you think that makes game maker suck?

Link
05-28-2011, 10:06 AM
What's the part do you think that makes game maker suck?

All of it, probably. :p

cbailey78
05-31-2011, 01:29 PM
Especially you have to do alot of scripting! The scripts can look very messy at times.

DarkFlameWolf
06-02-2011, 06:55 PM
well if you all think Game Maker sucks, then I guess you are all not interested in the classic Mega Man fan game I'm working on. :P

Skulkraken
06-03-2011, 10:17 AM
well if you all think Game Maker sucks, then I guess you are all not interested in the classic Mega Man fan game I'm working on. :P

More details on this, please.

DarkFlameWolf
06-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Info page:
http://rpgmaker.net/games/2406/

Videos:
Intro Stage video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ollXInFEXYo
Centaur Man and Feature video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0TjmmXW9II
Play Control Test video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L035omNOJBg
Magma Man Demo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRiBoY6QFDc
Pharaoh Man and Level Demo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbfR1CChacM

Skulkraken
06-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Wow, that's impressive.

DarkFlameWolf
06-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Thanks, a lot of people are looking forward to it apparently. I have a good following on a few game maker sites.

King Aquamentus
06-13-2011, 10:24 AM
I have two main games that I've created with it. I've also done a lot of test stuff, like a Gradius engine and whatnot. Hardly worth writing home about, compared to this:

CHRONO BEAT (Don't tell Square-Enix) http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O0BQ6OSW

Heeeyyy, what if Chrono Trigger was a Shmup? This shoot-em-up has three completed lengthy levels, plus lots of beta stuff I never really got around to. The three completed levels are 1000 AD (the first stage), 600 AD (technically third, coming after the beta "bonus stage"), and 2300 AD (by far the best level in the game, almost a genre change has you must avoid walls and hazards like opening doors and lasers.) You can use Enter and backspace to shift between stages, and the 1-7 keys at the top of your keyboard to shift through the available weapons (or you can, you know, pick them up as power-ups.) You start with Lucca's fireball gun by default, with marle's ice slasher (penetrating weapon with a low rate of fire) and frog's spreading bubble (imagine the ripple laser from Gradius) being the next most common. Slightly more rare is Crono's thunder beam (a "toothpaste laser", basically), Robo's seeking missile (which barely works half the time), Ayla's spinning warrior (Ayla launches... herself as a boomerang), and Magus's... ??? (the announcer just laughs in a really sinister way when you pick it up, but the attack mostly resembles the gravity bombs from Gradius. Also the best weapon in this game). Schala is a 1-up.

The other game I'll have to find again later, or make another exe of. it's not as big, but more completed.

Anthus
06-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Game Maker is cool, I just never got really into it. Shortly after I found ZC a long time ago, I found GM, and I did churn out two simple "maze" games called "Adventures of the Red Ball 1, and 2", where, as you guessed it, you played as a Red Ball named Red Ball, and you had to collect so many of the objects (blue coins, or crystals, or both, I forget) in each stage to unlock new parts. There were no enemies, or AI of any sort beyond "watch out for the predictable spike thing moving back in forth which kills you on contact".

Other ventures included a primitive platformer with "stick figure" graphics, and my first attempt at a game was a game which required players to quickly click on certain colored balls before they hit the bottom of the screen. The object was to click them all before any of them touch the bottom.

Too bad I lost my GM folder, and old ZC folder when I got my own computer back in 2005, and failed to transfer them. I wasn't interested, or using either program at the time, so it didn't occur to me to save my projects. And to think, just a few months after, I'd check ZC's main site, and see a new version. FML.

Old-Skool, you have a nice shooter there. I'd recommend not automatically changing the player's weapon upon pick-up though. It is quite disorienting to go from ripping through enemies with the bubble beam, or "toothpaste laser" only to have it all the sudden change to some girl flipping in front of the ship if you grab an item, lol.

EDIT:
Holy crap. GM has come a very, very long way since I last used it.

This is pretty sweet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rctp7RuA6g&feature=related

King Aquamentus
06-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Old-Skool, you have a nice shooter there. I'd recommend not automatically changing the player's weapon upon pick-up though. It is quite disorienting to go from ripping through enemies with the bubble beam, or "toothpaste laser" only to have it all the sudden change to some girl flipping in front of the ship if you grab an item, lol.

Yeah, I guess Contra had the wrong idea when it did the same exact thing. >_>;