PDA

View Full Version : Steam'd Up

Darth Marsden
12-29-2010, 03:04 PM
So after another couple of games bought during the Steam sale, I counted the number of full games I have, and I was shocked to find that I had about 170.

And that's not even counting the mods and shortcuts I have set up! That's just insane! And I daren't even think how many of those are thanks to the on-going Christmas sale! It's absurd... I probably won't even play half of them.

So... how many games do you have? Take a minute or two to count and let's find out! If you don't want to give an exact figure, that'd cool. But I'd be curious to see how many you do have...

Brasel
12-29-2010, 05:16 PM
I have exactly 1 game downloaded from Steam. Mass Effect. It was really good. I'm not sure I really care to download any more from Steam, either...I'm still a console gamer at heart.

bigjoe
12-29-2010, 05:33 PM
I've Half Life 2 and all of its expansions.
Counter Strike: Source
Day of Defeat: Source
Portal
Team Fortress 2
Spore
Star Wars Jedi Knight:Jedi Academy

Cloral
12-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Orange Box
Borderlands
Tales of Monkey Island

So yeah, 3 - or 7 if you count all 5 parts of the Orange Box as separate games. Though I tend not to buy on impulse.

Masamune
12-31-2010, 02:39 AM
Counter Strike
Counter Strike: Source
Counter Strike: Source Beta
Half-Life
Half-Life Deathmatch
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
Half-Life 2: Episode 1
Half-Life 2: Episode 2
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
Half-Life Deathmatch: Source
Half-Life: Source
Portal
Team Fortress 2
Team Fortress 2 Beta

spread among two separate accounts though

AtmaWeapon
12-31-2010, 10:09 AM
The number is 9, though the list has less.

Audiosurf
Commander Keen Complete Pack (4 games)
Half-Life 2 and its expansions (expansion packs aren't games!)
Portal
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
TF2

I generally don't game on the PC. I do enjoy the sophistication of a mouse/keyboard interface, but I don't appreciate how PC gaming is more like old-school console gaming where you must invest $300 every other year.

Darth Marsden
12-31-2010, 12:51 PM
It's worth noting that the Steam Calculator (http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/darthmarsden) can tell you how much your game collection is supposedly worth, though it does leave out a few, such as Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse and the expansions to the original FEAR. Feel free to browse my collection and marvel at just how many games I own.

The_Amaster
01-01-2011, 11:53 AM
I had to be incredibly careful this Steam sale. I made sure to check over my cart and ask myself if I really wanted that game before buying, and probably saved over $100 because of it.

Darth Marsden
01-01-2011, 12:25 PM
I had to be incredibly careful this Steam sale. I made sure to check over my cart and ask myself if I really wanted that game before buying, and probably saved over $100 because of it....and that's why I've spent so much! Well, it's probably about £60 (so far), which is around $90. But I have stopped myself from buying some games, like the first two Brothers in Arms, which I would never ever play evar. Still, I've not exactly been good this Christmas. Bought far too much, and not just on Steam!

Beldaran
01-02-2011, 12:46 PM
I have one game on Steam, and it's the only one I will ever have. I will never, ever buy another game from steam. During a recent period of time when my gaming computer didn't have access to the internet for several months, I was refused the right to play a game I own because it wanted to update itself first. I could find no way around this.

Valve owns my game, not me. Last time I ever purchase anything from them, ever.

Also, Half Life 2 sucked and had no plot. People that think Half Life 2 had a plot need to pick up a book once and a while. You might actually learn what a plot is, and realize that creepy music, non-sequitor events, and large robots do not, by themselves, constitute a plot.

Masamune
01-02-2011, 08:08 PM
A race of humanoids comes through a portal made as a result of what happened in the first game, and start assimilating Earth with the help of Dr. Breen. How isn't that a plot?

bigjoe
01-02-2011, 08:22 PM
And since when is the plot in a first person shooter all that important?

AtmaWeapon
01-02-2011, 08:24 PM
I believe Beldaran means it has a plot so bad that it may as well have no plot at all. Also it's an obvious troll.

I don't know if I'd say HL2 has a magnificent plot because that'd require sitting down and doing an analysis. I don't care that much. It was a fun game and the plot served to cause me to not question why I was in a particular locale or what I was trying to do. That's really the only function of a plot in an FPS at all: to provide some justification for what you're doing other than "you lose if you don't".

Some people believe that until video gaming reaches some peak (that they generally leave undefined) it's a worthless media worthy of no mention. Rather than try to understand why, I'd like to ask why they bother playing games at all.

Beldaran
01-02-2011, 09:21 PM
After beating HL2, I had to read the wikipedia article to find out what the plot was.

And plot may not be that important in a videogame, as bigjoe said, but the problem is, HL2 was CELEBRATED for its epic and interesting plot. The plot is grade school B movie sci-fi shit that fails to be interesting, provocative, or even clear. If you had no outside information about the plot, and had only the game events as a resource, you could not possible know what the fuck is happening.

All of this is merely background noise, anyway, to my utter contempt for the arrogant fountain of incomprehensibly popular horseshit that is Steam and Valve Software in general.

Valve is shitty shitty bang bang.

AtmaWeapon
01-03-2011, 12:51 AM
Well then you're either incredibly dense, trolling, or didn't pay attention to any dialog. I'd say HL2 had more plot than your average Michael Bay film but significantly less than Forrest Gump. Seeing as the average FPS game has a plot of "Those guys shoot at you if you don't kill them first" I think it's fair to hail HL2 as an advancement in plot exposition. Its primary competition at release was DOOM 3, with the same "You're the last survivor on Mars after Hell invades" pseudo-plot that it had for 20 years.

Mercy
01-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Obvious troll is obvious?

What is with the hostility, Bel'? It sounds like you are hating on people who took the obvious tact of pandering to the masses. Business is business and not worth getting your knickers in a bunch over. We both know you are smarter than that yet your argument is akin to calling Steam a bunch of poopy heads. Expound upon what you find lacking in their game selection or dislike in the games, themselves. Rant about how the insipidness of the average popular games reflects on our society or vis versa. Even tell us what you think we should all like and be playing. When you sink to their level, you become them.

-m.

Anthus
01-04-2011, 02:58 AM
I bought AudioSurf on a whim. It was fun, but often times I feel like it does not really go with the music.

I'm just not that into FPSs, but I've been thinking of trying TF2. My laptop is also not the best for gaming. It can hardly handle Dragonica.

Darth Marsden
01-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I got that sometimes as well. Haven't played it in ages as a result.

One of these days I really need to go down and just quickly review all the games I have on Steam. It'd take a while (considering I have around 180 full games), but I bet it'd be interesting.