PDA

View Full Version : Technical help

QuantumBoo
11-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Sorry, I'm new and I'm not sure if this is supposed to go here.

I just found out about Zelda Classic a few days ago and decided to give it a shot. However, whenever I try to run either the client or the quest editor, it gives me a generic error message: "zelda-w.exe/zquest-w.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I have no idea what the issue is.

I'm running Windows XP, SP3. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Human_Wormbaby
11-04-2010, 03:32 PM
From what I can tell this only happens in fullscreen.
Try choosing one of the windowed options from your start menu at Start -> All Programs -> Zelda Classic [Version] -> ZC/Zquest Windowed [Size]

I've heard that this problem happens because when ZC is run in fullscreen it tries to set the screen resolution to a level lower than is supported by newer graphics cards, but I can get 1.90 to work for me in fullscreen just fine. It is the later versions that seem to cause this problem, in my case at least.

While I can get 1.92BXXX to work for me in windowed mode, I get lots of lag and when I press keys it acts like I'm hammering them a thousand times a minute, so I don't know how much success you'll have after getting it to run. This even happens to me in the latest version of 2.5

I've had the most success with version 1.90, fullscreen works and everything plays fine. Only problem is the music didn't work. I fiddled around with it and through trial and error I found one midi driver option that I could get sound out of, but it sounds kinda crappy. It randomly drops notes and seems to sustain some for too long.

I'm still in the process of figuring out what works best, I'll keep you posted.