PDA

View Full Version : Young Adult Fiction

SUCCESSOR
10-06-2010, 09:09 PM
After searching for some good fantasy fiction I ended up on the Septimus Heap Series which I found very enjoyable; fun and lighthearted. It's seems aimed at teens or so. Eagerly waiting for the next book to be released. After that I read the Fablehaven series(waiting for the library to get Book 5) and I find them especially good. I couldn't put them down. Very accessible to young kids with more peril than the Septimus Heap Series. Now I'm on The Mortal Instruments Series "City of Bones" which is pretty good so far. I'm still in the first half.

I like the YA books because they are very easy to get in to. I tried reading The Cheysuli Cronicles by Jennifer Roberson but it felt like a chore. I'm a big Philip K Dick fan and I love how you are just thrown into whatever world the story takes place in and not swallowing endless explanations and forced dialogue. The Cheysuli... kept going on and on about a prophecy and it killed it for me. I felt like screaming JUST DO SOMETHING!

I've also read the Twilight Saga and the first three books in the "Eragon" Inheritance Cycle(supposed to be a trilogy goddammit).

Anyone else into Young Adult Fiction particularly fantasy?

AtmaWeapon
10-06-2010, 09:33 PM
My wife's into YA pretty hardcore. She knows a lot of the authors and has met quite a few; the bookshelf is swelling with signed ARCs and other curiosities.

I like it when I read it but only rarely take time to read. I do suggest looking in to John Green; I read Paper Towns and it was pretty sweet. My wife's been begging me to read:

John Green's Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games

One day. I've got a bit of a backlog on books :/

Matteo
10-07-2010, 01:53 AM
David Eddings is quite good. Check out his two older series: The Belgariad, and The Mallorean.

I also read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy a few years ago. That was pretty good too.

But def check out Edding's stuff if you like high fantasy.

moocow
10-07-2010, 09:35 PM
I was looking at books at work the other day and saw Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games, and I really want to read it. Like, bad lol.

Mercy
10-08-2010, 02:58 AM
David Eddings is quite good. Check out his two older series: The Belgariad, and The Mallorean.
Seconded although I never thought of Eddings as YA material. Andre Norton and Ursula Le Guin are old favourites of mine. Garth Nix is also worth checking out. I was a big into Alan Dean Foster when I was in the YA demographic but I am not sure how his books have aged.

-m.

Beldaran
10-08-2010, 08:13 AM
These probably don't qualify as Young Adult, but you might enjoy the Runelords books by David Farland. They are easy to read and extremely cool.

SUCCESSOR
10-08-2010, 06:22 PM
@mattwdr I have wanted to read the "His Dark Materials" series for awhile but it's difficult for me to get into books where I've seen movie adaptations. Even if the books are much better it's still dissapointing to know most of the events of the plot. Similarly I have been wanting to read "The Vampire Cronicles" and "Lord of the Rings."

@Belderan Runlords does look cool. I'm going to have to see if my library has any them. I'm a sucker for stories where "items" are collected to increase a characters "power." Reminds me of FFVI's Espers and such. Or the opposite like Harry Potter Deathly Hallows where they seek and destroy the Hallows to make What's-his-name mortal. Sorry if that's any kind of spoiler for anyone.

Almost finished with "City of Bones." Nothing amazing but definitely a story you can get into. It's set the premise(if thats the right word) well for the next 2 books. With the predictable plot twist so far I don't expect a glorious ending but maybe I'll be proven wrong.

moocow
10-09-2010, 01:17 AM
Almost finished with "City of Bones." Nothing amazing but definitely a story you can get into. It's set the premise(if thats the right word) well for the next 2 books. With the predictable plot twist so far I don't expect a glorious ending but maybe I'll be proven wrong.

I've read City of Bones and City of Ashes. I started City of Glass and never got to finish it. There's actually 6 books in the The Mortal Instruments series, and I'd really like to read them all.

SUCCESSOR
10-11-2010, 04:18 PM
There will be six by 2013. And the ending to City of Bones was superb, by the way. I was very pleased. After I finish City of Ashes then City of Glass I am going to read Clockwork Angel. That is the first novel in her new series The Infernal Devices.