PDA

View Full Version : Is Link a shallow character, or a man with a burden none should bear? [Essay warning]

AtmaWeapon
09-15-2010, 01:03 AM
I've been thinking a lot about the Zelda series, and I've come to the conclusion that Link is quite possibly the least interesting character that exists in Nintendo's stable.

With their other franchises, Nintendo has made efforts to establish that they have lives outside of the games. As early as SMB 2, we could see that Mario's world exists outside the context of SMB and he has a home, a bed, and goes exploring in caves. Over time, we've seen him travel to beach resorts, far away kingdoms, and play a ton of sports. The cartoons established that since Bowser is never really defeated, Mario is constantly struggling to protect Princess Peach and the games are just the more epic tales we get to play. Donkey Kong had conflicts with Mario before he became Cranky Kong; the new DK has a whole DK crew so there's clearly some ladies he chills with. Based on the size of his banana horde, you get the feeling that when he's not on an epic quest he probably just chills in the jungle and collects bananas. Samus Aran's occupation is bounty hunter; it's clear she does plenty of jobs but the Metroid games are her most famous exploits. So on with Kirby and Fox McCloud; if you've played their games you've seen the detailed worlds in which they live.

Link, on the other hand, doesn't really seem to play well with others. While Hyrule is fleshed out in more and more detail each game, Link's impact on it is limited completely to what happens in the games. Some of this is because the timeline is all kinds of screwed up or the limitation of the games at the time; I think OoT is the best starting point.

OoT leaves me thinking that at best Link has some kind of personality disorder. He's a 10-year-old thrust onto an epic quest and spends 7 years asleep before being dropped off in Hell on Earth, so maybe that explains it. Examine how he interacts with individuals, particularly those he should be attracted or attached to. Saria clearly has feelings for Link, and his response to her concerns is a blank stare as he sprints away. Same with Malon, Zelda and Ruto. Link's a 10-year-old "most eligible bachelor" who has every girl of influence in the kingdom grabbing at his balls and the only thing he's interested in is plot advancement. Grown-up Link is no better: if you aren't a sage you aren't going to get much of his time. If you are a sage, you're going to get "work the seal" and he's off. Killing Ganon was kind of important; I get that maybe he didn't have time for cuddles. But what happens after the game? He gets sent back to his 10-year-old self. Now he has the knowledge that he's embarked upon an epic quest in a future that won't exist because he's sealed the evil that caused it. He didn't retire and hook up with any of the fine ladies that had been following him around. He took off on a trip into the forest to look for his fairy and was never heard from again.

Mostly because he disappeared into Termina and took place in the only game in the series where it feels like you have a lasting impact on the world. You help 4 very important souls rest in peace. You save the world from destruction. You affect townspeople's lives in ways that range from making them happy with their job to reuniting two cursed lovers so they can spend the last hours of the dying world together. Or you can do the bare minimum and just save the world. Yet still, when it's all done Link just rides into the distance with no sign of any sentiment.

Wind Waker doesn't take place in that continuum. The narrative suggests that WW takes place in Hyrule some time after Link went to Termina, and we can assume either Link never found his way out of Termina, died, or couldn't save Hyrule (there's hints that when he left Hyrule he lost "hero of time" status.) This game returns to the notion that Link only exists to awaken some sages, collect some plot coupons, then redeem them for a happy ending. This time the "I peaked at 10" angle is handled a little better. Link's fear of associating with females returns in this game; he's only interested in his sister despite at least two girls that display an almost creepy affinity. Again, Link peaks at 10 and after the quest is over doesn't have any way to achieve more. Much like Frodo was unable to live a normal life after bearing the ring, Link couldn't possibly return to the isolated life on Outset. And much like Mr. Baggins, Link left his closest companions to travel on a boat. Frodo was riding a boat to an eternal paradise and Link was riding the boat to... nowhere. He left behind his beloved grandmother, sister, and all the friends he ignored along his journey. Emptiness.

It led to the events of Phantom Hourglass but I'm not going to dignify that game with a detailed analysis. Link interacts with the minimum number of people needed to find the macguffins and end the dream world. But was it a dream? Man, I haven't seen that ending before. Thus Link gets back on the boat and sails off to find... whatever it is he's after. Likely more adventures.

Twilight Princess is much of the same. Link doesn't choose a path to move through the world; he can't even explore Hyrule for much of the game due to various obstacles that will magically disappear if only he completes the quest he's on. Again, Link has multiple women falling over him. This time one grows very emotionally close to him yet it doesn't seem to bug him too much when they part ways. Again, once the quest is over we're left to ponder whether Link will be content to return to goat herding; what do you do with the rest of your life after that?

I'm beginning to think things about Link I never thought before.

He is an emotionless shell; perhaps this is the burden of the Hero. He can form no emotional attachments to others and even if he assists another he must take only rewards that directly help him with his quest. If he holds anyone dear, they will be destroyed by Ganon. If he rests for a day, he could be overtaken by Ganon's minions. Until evil has been sealed/destroyed, he is nothing more than a puppet of the gods (in this case, the player plays the role of puppeteer.)

Alternatively: he's a developmentally disabled neanderthal or the worlds biggest narcissist. If you use his interactions as a guide, you'll quickly deduce that no person in Hyrule matters to Link more than Link. He takes advantage of the emotional attachment the women of OoT form to further his quest, offering little in return. He saves Ruto to take her jewel. He saves LonLon ranch because he needs a horse. He awakens Saria because he needs her seal. Perhaps his quest to destroy Ganon is not so much a noble quest to right wrongs and save Zelda but instead a desire to establish himself as the most powerful warrior in Hyrule?

Whichever is true, it's clear that after Link completes his quest and Hyrule returns to peace, his services are no longer needed. What does an adventurer do when there's no evil to fight? What does a warrior do when the monsters are tamed? What promise does life hold when you've lived two lifetimes before you hit puberty? Perhaps the timeline is screwed up and pointing at multiple Links because after each game, Link descends into the depression of a man who has already completed his goal. Even more cruel, maybe the gods take his life once his services are rendered? There's not many direct sequels in Zelda lore. One could even entertain the notion that Link could be overtaken by despair and become evil himself, giving rise to forces that restore Ganon and cause a new lad to receive the Hero's curse.

You can argue a LoZ -> LA -> AoL progression that makes a few loose threads fit together. Let's run with that. Link destroys Ganon in LoZ, then departs on a boat (the boy loves boats!) Fate intervenes, and he ends up shipwrecked and LA takes place. He either dies at sea and someone else takes his place or makes it back to Hyrule to find Zelda cursed and the threat of Ganon renewed. Either option explains the sudden appearance of Link in AoL. Could Dark Link be the despairing spirit of the LoZ Link, drowned at sea? Or perhaps that Link survived and Dark Link is the malice inside of him caused by knowing he'll be forgotten once Hyrule is peaceful? That's enough to make turn a hero foul.

There's not really much to go on because we never get much about Link's internal dialog save some emotionless stares. Is he a self-serving egoist looking for glory? Does he lose his free will when becoming the hero? Do his accomplishments leave the rest of his life empty? Does he so often wander in the epilogue because he is doomed to seek a new, more challenging adventure?

You could also argue each Zelda game is intended to be the same story told by a different culture. That explains common elements to the quest, common villains, and even allows for wildly different environments like those in LA and the Oracle series. From this standpoint Link, Ganon, and Zelda don't represent real people as much as they represent a struggle between Power, Wisdom, and Courage within a person's soul. Only when the three desires are balanced can a person be righteous. Perhaps there is no "after the adventure" for Link because in life no one ever achieves true balance; the end of the game is perhaps a metaphor for death, where you rejoin creation and become part of the balance no matter what your actions in life were.

Anthus
09-18-2010, 02:28 AM
All the things you inferred about Link would not have been possible if he was given dialogue. It's really a matter of opinion. Some players enjoy making their own assumption about characters. I think it can add a particular level of interaction, but I guess some people just don't register it the same way. However, I think your first guess it pretty right on about him remaining distant as far as character goes. I also think it is unfair to criticize older games in the series, and compare them to the industry's standards now. Nintendo didn't seem to take the story very seriously, really at all until AlttP, which was the first game to have actual cut scenes, and characters beyond those mentioned in the booklet (AoL's NPCs were pretty dull, and often only offered broken, obscure clues about the magic narflarfin, or the next dungeon, or the baby that you somehow carry in your bag. I'm talking specifically about NPCs that seem to have lives in the towns, and offer you more than four lines of text.)

Link may not have spoken in AlttP simply because the devs were lazy. Maybe they just didn't feel the need. Maybe it was just the slyle of the game. LA, and OoT come around. Still, nothing. Now it seem standard for a Zelda game.

The fact of the matter is, maybe Nintendo cares more about giving a good play experience than spending money, and time on voice acting, and writing dialogue for a character, that really, seems to have nothing to say anyway. If the Zelda series would have evolved around Link speaking, it's likely it would have taken a different direction entirely. If Link really spoke to every main character, would it have made the story deeper? Probably. But, does it matter? The characters still speak, and even though we don't see it, Link does speak. We still get the story from the world, and characters around Link.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me. If they voice NPCs, cool. If they give Link a voice, it would be interesting, but really, it just does not matter that much to me.

EDIT: This also just occurred to me about as lot of NES games: They were mostly all translated from Japanese. You can say a lot more in Japanese than in English with three, or four lines. A lot of the writing was lost in translation in the first two games. Zelda 1's translations were clear enough, and got the point across but the ones in Zelda 2 were a bit more obscure. AlttP was the first solid translation, and it still had some snags ("Zelda is your... ...")

Maybe early on, it was just too much trouble to give more dialogue than needed. Maybe this carried on through out the series into its later years due to old habits from the devs? Keeping Link silent just worked, and Nintendo has never really bothered itself with being "traditional" until more recently.

King Aquamentus
09-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Your question may depend a great deal on who exactly we're talking about.

In Ocarina of Time, this is vague enough. Nobody knows how Link felt about it. But Majora's Mask gets weird. Artwork and design make it sound like he's used to it by now and even a bit cocky. Then you have him falling through voids, eyes cracking, painful transformations... hard to tell.

Many toon link chars seem to actually have fun on their quests. dunno about Minish Cap...

The NES Link was a wandering child, who already knew how to get rid of a few monsters and save an old woman. Not only that, but nobody came to this Link and said "you're the chosen one" or anything like that. He was a child, and actually VOLUNTEERED to save the day. No telling for sure if his feelings changed along the way.

Zelda II explicitly states that Link never left Hyrule after Zelda I, jossing the LA theory (not to mention LA features subconscious memory of primarily Alttp artifacts). However, Link is now finally clued in that he's something special, since he gets his mark. Just as the game is more difficult, so is Link's life. Even when he isn't travelling incredible lengths (In terms of realistic scale, this is the largest overworld in the series yet, dwarving the others over tenfold.), Ganon's followers are hunting his ass. Every town he goes to, they could invade shortly after, if he stays too long. It's a wonder he's never persecuted by the Hyrulians, especially since even Simon Belmont is in his second game. (there's a whole town in CVII that's pissed cause Simon is being followed by monsters). He's definitely feeling different in Zelda II.