PDA

View Full Version : Metroid: Other M

Orion
09-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Has anyone else picked this up? I'm curious to see what other people think of it. And if anyone knows what the subtitle has to do with anything? (I've beaten it and I don't recall it ever being explained)

I was really apprehensive about how the game would control, but turns out the combination worked great, for me at least. I was more dismayed at how many "metroid-y" things they left out not collecting health or powerups, the lack of any exploration at all, no music to speak of, etc). I really, really wanted to not like this game, but it somehow still managed to be fun. It was just a lousy Metroid game.

I didn't think the story or narrative was particularly bad, either, it just needed to get out of the game's way. I will say that the last boss (not the hidden boss) was amazing :P

I will hope for more traditional Metroid experience with the same engine.

Icey
09-13-2010, 09:26 PM
So there's not much exploration in this game? That's a really big minus for a Metroid game, in my book. I might pick it up, but I'm waiting on impressions from a few friends (and others) first.

King Aquamentus
09-14-2010, 10:53 AM
There's exploration in the game alright. Like fusion though, it mostly occurs after you open the sandbox. Really, the game is basically like fusion in those regards, but still well worth it.

Rather than obtain upgrades and powerups, Samus retains everything she collected in Super Metroid, but due to the fact that she's working in proximity to other soldiers and innocents, she needs Adam's authorization before she drops a power bomb or something. Really, it works pretty much like finding them, you just aren't shooting a ball in a statue and touching something. Once adam gives you the thumbs up for something, You get to use it the rest of the game. This only results in two major oddities. One, You have to run through a significant portion of a lava zone without Adam's permission to use the Varia suit (although the heat does negligible damage.) Later, Samus gets to turn her stuff on at her own discretion, but does not activate the gravity suit when that would be handy. ...go figure.

There is music in the game, even some during gameplay. The argument regarding a lack of item fanfare should be approached with the understanding that *no* jingle is played at all when you get an item. So, they didn't replace it at the least. It just isn't used.

No health/missile pickups, aside from capacity upgrades, like missile tanks, and energy tanks. Debuting in this game are also three other items:

Energy part: HEY KIDS, REMEMBER THE PIECE OF HEART FROM ZELDA?? GUESS WHAT? :D

Recovery Tank: When you run dangerously low on health, you have to ability to recover a small amount, using the same technique that you do for restoring missiles. These increase how much you restore. All that this technique costs is a little bit of time while Samus sits there helpless.

Accel Charge: these yellow tanks make the charge beam work faster. They aren't too common, but look out for them anyway. You'll be glad you did.

The name "Other M" seems to apply specifically to the plot. Consider who/what Melissa Bergman really is (I can't say it here), and it should make more sense. Also, consider the ongoing theme of maternity in this game. It was there in Super Metroid, but gets heavier emphasis now. "Other M..." "other M..." "M other" ?

Overall, I was quite pleased. The forced observation modes (OH NO HE'S DED, LOOK AROUND AND SEE WHAT KILLED HIM) need to go, but otherwise if Samus was given a traditional, solitary mission using this game engine, it would be golden.

I absolutely loved her portrayal, btw. I know it might not have been what other players expected or wanted, but going by canon info from the manga (yes it exists, and Other M borrowed heavily from it), Samus isn't a particularly cold brute. She's essentially a lady in a suit. Calm, compassionate, concerned, and very protective of those she cares about.

Dark Nation
09-14-2010, 11:15 AM
The last regular boss (the one that starts by filling the room with Metroids) can die in a fire. :( I can't seem to move fast enough to freeze a Metroid and destroy it before another one decides to decorate Samus like a hat. :(

Masamune
09-14-2010, 12:09 PM
i can't get this shit to not crash after the test chamber, but it seemed fun.

vegeta1215
09-14-2010, 12:20 PM
I was wondering when someone was going to make a topic about this.

I'm about 8 hours in, and just got the Grapple Beam. I like it so far. Some things are really good, some not so good, but it's not as bad as what people made it out to be. The cut-scenes look gorgeous but overall presentation and sound (music included) feels like such a step back from the Prime games. Retro really made some polished games. It feels so much like Fusion though. I mean, it's in a biological lab in space, just like Fusion!

I do really like the sense moves and lethal strikes etc. I think it all works well, even the switching to first person, which I thought I would hate. Also, the Speed Booster is awesome! And the game is not easy... I have died over a dozen times so far. I'm not used to dying in games these days. It's great :)

Cloral
09-14-2010, 12:59 PM
I hope it gets better, because I'm not terribly liking it so far. I think I would like it much better if it was 2D instead of 3D. That way you could aim your gun instead of having to rely on Samus aiming at enemies for you. And the dpad feels chunky to me for moving around in 3D.

Dark Nation
09-14-2010, 02:03 PM
I agree. For the controls, it would have been better if you could use the nunchuck for normal movement and aim the wiimote at the screen for precision aiming instead of autoaiming when needed.

vegeta1215
09-15-2010, 08:50 AM
The controls are one thing I don't really have any qualms about. It's different, but I think it really fits what they were trying to accomplish. They get a lot of use out of a few buttons, and it's not too complicated. Oh well :shrug:

I played for about 3 hours or so yesterday, lol. I always get like this when a new game I'm really anxious for comes out. I don't know how much longer I have before I beat the game, but having just gotten the Space Jump, Screw Attack, Super Missle, Seeker Missle, Plasma Beam, and Gravity Feature, I think all that's left is Power Bombs. They're all pretty cool, but Retro did the Space Jump better. This one slowly degrades in height as you keep jumping where as the one in Metroid Prime 2/3 let you stay about the same height. I guess this one is more realistic though.

Anthus
09-17-2010, 01:07 AM
I picked this up a few days ago, and I'm about two hours in, and nearing, what I think is the end of sector one. Here's my impressions so far:

Game play: It feels very much like Metroid Fusion. It feels Metroid enough in the controls, but I kind of don't like the way you get items. The "authorization" is stupid, and does not feel realistic. As old-skool touched on, it is the same concept as collecting them, but, given the attention to narrative, it just feels like they tried too hard. As for item collections, still being early in the game, it is hard to say too much about it. I will say, I don't really like the way you use missiles. You can only use them in first person, and while locked on, so it makes it a chore to use them, imo. I'll touch on this more in the controls part.

Controls: I like the controls, mostly. The d-pad movement feels a bit stiff, but it fits with the style of the game, and I think it works well. I like the "dodge" and "finish" moves, since they are not too imposing on the normal "shoot the shit out of it" high-paced flow of the rest of the game. The auto-target works well, and keeps the action streamlined like in the 2D games. However, an actual targeting system (NOT first person exclusive) might not have been a bad idea. Also, toggling between targeted foes while locked on would have been nice, but then, the lack of buttons on the controller becomes an issue. Some quirks could have been overcome by allowing the nun chuck. I think it would make the swap to first person smoother. Now, for the first person mode.. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. It seems like it will become very annoying during boss fights, and really, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to move with the d-pad while in first person. Holding down B to look it also kind of awkward, since when you -have- to look around you don't have to press B, and it just feels kind of unpolished. The lack of a way to switch missiles on and off is also kind of disappointing, since it could have easily been mapped to the - button (select toggled missiles in the original).

Music: It fits, but it is not overly exciting, or dramatic. I hope it gets better.

Over all: I'm impressed, and like it more than I thought, but there are some snags along the way. I will come back when I beat it.

vegeta1215
09-17-2010, 08:48 AM
I just finished Other M two days ago. I think I ended with about 84% item completion, which is pretty good considering most of the items I had left to get in the post-game require power bombs. (you get power bombs at the very end of the game, and you can't go back to use them) I finished the post-game yesterday and got 100% with a time of about 14 hours. Overall it was a really fun game, and I'm glad I got it. It's definitely for the fans, because there is a lot of fan service in the game, especially in terms of the bosses, and the ending part in the post-game. Things could have been done to make it more polished and feel more Metroid-like than it does already does, mainly in the sound effects/music, department, having even more familiar enemies (there are a good bit already but some enemies are just weird), and being less linear. Structure wise it is almost a carbon copy of Metroid Fusion though. The story is not great and could have been told better, but it was still neat. Gameplay and control wise I have no complaints. I think they came up with a good system.

There were some things that bothered me though. The "detective" parts where you are stuck in first person and need to identify something on the screen weren't bad (I hear a lot of people hated it), but the few first person fights (mainly the one with "the creature", and also the oneat the end) felt forced and silly. The worst part of the game though is the one part where you meet up with all the troopers, and you walk through the facility in over the shoulder view the whole time. I hate that part. Samus walks so slow SLOW that way! But I guess if those are my only gripes, that's not too bad.

Pineconn
09-18-2010, 12:12 AM
They're all pretty cool, but Retro did the Space Jump better. This one slowly degrades in height as you keep jumping where as the one in Metroid Prime 2/3 let you stay about the same height. I guess this one is more realistic though.

Nah, it just takes some good timing to get an endless space jump. I wanted to do the same thing—mash the jump button, that is, and you fall to the ground. But if you slow the button presses, you can fly around rooms pretty freely.

I really don't feel like typing up a storm as I need to pack so I can move back to Ohio State with my stuff (:p), but I really enjoyed the game. Though I'm 19, I never played a non-Prime Metroid game, and I had no problems with some of the supposedly "un-Metroid" aspects of the game, like its linearity. That said, I'd rate it above most of the major reviewers: a 9.2/10. The story has a few odd parts to it (like MB's motivation to even talk to Samus... why wouldn't she have attacked if she despised all humans?) and I didn't like the investigative parts. It took me 20+ minutes in the one after Lyle was found dead (in the Sector 1 field thing). I mean, come on, I thought the green blood was weeds at first glance. Ugh.

vegeta1215
09-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Nah, it just takes some good timing to get an endless space jump. I wanted to do the same thing—mash the jump button, that is, and you fall to the ground. But if you slow the button presses, you can fly around rooms pretty freely.

I didn't button mash, I just tried to use it the same way as in Prime 2, which needed a steady rhythm to keep going. After some practice I was able to get a lot farther with the Space Jump in Other M, but it still feels different.

The detective parts were weird, but I don't think it ever took me more than a minute or two (at the worst time) to find what they wanted me to see. I think the longest was the Ki-hunter larva. (brown shell bug thing)

Matteo
09-21-2010, 01:54 AM
OK, just finished it myself (post game too). Although it pales in comparison to the gem that is Super Metroid, and is far too linear, it was a worthwhile experience.

Hated:
Samus depicted as (too) young and weak
Missile shot control (only 1st person view)
No real item/beam/suit discovery (only upgrades and other nonsense)
Enemies do not drop missile nor health powerups
Map always tells you where to go

Disliked:
Linear progression (story driven game makes it have to be)
Controls (serviceable, just annoying to use that tiny d-pad for the entire game!)
Music (or lack thereof)

Liked:
The story (although at times a little overly dramatic)
The graphics and art style (still prefer the more organic nature of past Metroid games)
The grapple beam implementation

Loved:
Fantastic boss fights
Great enemy design
Sound Effects and Atmosphere (non-music sound)
Tight controls and gameplay, despite obvious limitations with the teeny d-pad and First Person switching.
Samus gets back the acrobatic nature she had from the 2d days.
Great extra content

If I had to review it, I would probably give it around an 8/10 - very good game, but not great.

One thing I have to say in parting is that the game captures the speed and responsiveness of the older (and handheld) Metroid games. Although Prime and its sequels are phenomenal (and better than this game), they are sluggish in action compared to other Metroid games.

vegeta1215
09-21-2010, 08:37 AM
I used to agree with some of your "Hated" and "Disliked" items, but I found a few videos that convinced me otherwise. Here's one:http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-40-Heavens-to-Metroid

The other video I saw was a Youtube video of a young black guy picking apart other people's criticisms, for the controls etc. I really liked it. Hopefully I can find it again. (it wasn't the Black Baron's video, but this guy made his video in response to the Black Baron's video)

UPDATE: Ha! I found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfxCXXaMggs

Pineconn
09-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Ah, you watch ThaBlackBaron (http://www.youtube.com/user/ThaBlackBaron), too? He makes some hilarious videos. I can't wait to see his reaction video to the Falcons THWARTING his Cardinals. :p

But yeah, he gave Metroid: Other M a 9.2, which is the score I gave it. It seems that you either like this game (8–9/10) or somewhat dislike it (4–6/10).

vegeta1215
09-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Ah, you watch ThaBlackBaron (http://www.youtube.com/user/ThaBlackBaron), too? He makes some hilarious videos. I can't wait to see his reaction video to the Falcons THWARTING his Cardinals. :p

But yeah, he gave Metroid: Other M a 9.2, which is the score I gave it. It seems that you either like this game (8–9/10) or somewhat dislike it (4–6/10).

Nah, I don't watch him. I haven't seen his Other M video yet either. The guy I did watch (who I linked above) mentioned TheBlackBaron in his video though, and happens to be a black man himself.

UPDATE: I just watched TheBlackBaron's video. Great stuff. I'll definitely have to check him out in the future. I do remember watching videos from a similar guy, someone who likes all the system, has tons of Wii games, and thinks people don't realize how many good games there are on the Wii. I don't know if it was the same guy, but I liked those videos too.

Matteo
09-21-2010, 12:15 PM
I used to agree with some of your "Hated" and "Disliked" items, but I found a few videos that convinced me otherwise. Here's one:http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-40-Heavens-to-Metroid

The other video I saw was a Youtube video of a young black guy picking apart other people's criticisms, for the controls etc. I really liked it. Hopefully I can find it again. (it wasn't the Black Baron's video, but this guy made his video in response to the Black Baron's video)

UPDATE: Ha! I found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfxCXXaMggs

I'm sorry, but those videos were like watching a high school thesis (TGO) and an ignorant child (the Youtube one) talk about this series. The reason that most of the industry and many of the dedicated Metroid fans are upset about this game is because they have legitimately something to be upset about! While I like and love much about this game, Team Ninja and Nintendo made some big mistakes!

The issue is not with the d-control, but in the fact that you must control the game with a d-pad that is puny and uncomfortable for long periods! I don't have small fingers or thumbs, in fact they have callouses from decades of gaming on them and I love d-pad games. But the reality is, the Wiimote (and the Gamecube controller) have ludicrously small d-pads.

The way Samus is depicted is also wrong. Not because she is given depth and emotion and all the other 9th grade English class bullshit that those guys were talking about, but the fact that she is turned into a rather young and very weak character. I'm sorry, but after the events of Metroid 1, 2, all 3 Primes, AND Super Metroid, she should be older and wiser. They make both her character and her origin soldier character far too young looking (and too short - what the hell?). She has been a bounty hunter since Metroid 1 (and I assume since awhile before that game as well) and yet we see her in action as a soldier what could be as little as 2-3 years prior to Other M. Remember when George Lucas ruined Boba Fett by giving him a backstory that turned him into a sniveling, revenge filled boy? Team Ninja has turned Samus into a comic book character. Again, I have no problem with the development of story, and the attempt at fleshing out the Metroid franchise. I also have no problem with the plot of the game, it worked and kept me interested. What I do have a problem with is Nintendo/Team Ninja's treatment of Samus' character and the Metroid world, both here are plagued with bad decisions and amateur writing.

And as far as the powerups, seriously? Anyone who would have it this way (unlocking by permission) instead of any other way, is just plain wrong, end of discussion.

But again, I like this game, I am not in the camp that is going to ignore all of its great things and pan it, nor am I going to put it on a pedestal that it does not deserve, I'd say I fall into the middle: It's a very good game, but not a great one.

I prefer the 3rd person style over the prime series and would like it to continue in the future. However, I would like it to continue on a planet, with powerup pickups, good music, control for people with normal size hands, and a story that is more focused on the sci-fi world that is Metroid and less on emo fixations and teen manga backstory.

vegeta1215
09-21-2010, 02:55 PM
But again, I like this game, I am not in the camp that is going to ignore all of its great things and pan it, nor am I going to put it on a pedestal that it does not deserve, I'd say I fall into the middle: It's a very good game, but not a great one.

Yep, that's how I feel too. With all the varying types of people criticizing the game you're bound to have varying types defending it too, and those two videos I linked are good examples of those extremes on the defending side.

Pineconn
09-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Team Ninja has turned Samus into a comic book character.

[...]

..and a story that is more focused on the sci-fi world that is Metroid and less on emo fixations and teen manga backstory.

Well... http://metroid.retropixel.net/comics/metroidmanga/

Matteo
09-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Yep, that's how I feel too. With all the varying types of people criticizing the game you're bound to have varying types defending it too, and those two videos I linked are good examples of those extremes on the defending side.

Agreed. There are far too many people who either all out bash the game or quickly try to defend obvious flaws. I'm glad Nintendo made this game. They tried alot of things that had never been attempted in a Metroid game. Sakamoto himself is curious as to what worked, what didn't work. Here is the video:
http://n4g.com/news/609349/gamespot-metroid-other-m-yoshio-sakamoto-interview

Anthus
10-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Well, the game was fun enough till I got to some stupid room in Sector one where you are forced into the first person view in that room with the big purple thing. Spent about 15 minutes looking for nothing, before saying fuck it, and turning it off. :/

I really really hope there aren't a lot of rooms like this in the game, since it is enough to make me want to quit.

vegeta1215
10-03-2010, 10:25 PM
I never spent too much time on any of those detective. I don't really get how you can spend 15 minutes on one of those screens and not find what they want you to see. The one you're at is where you have to find the green goop on the ground iirc. I guess that one is a little tricky cause the grass is green too, but still.

I don't think there are too many more after that one. There's one where you need to zone in on this woman who's watching you in the snow area through a glass window. And the very last part of that game you need to do it (remember this! it is not clear because you are fighting really hard creatures at the same time)

Anthus
10-03-2010, 11:52 PM
I never spent too much time on any of those detective. I don't really get how you can spend 15 minutes on one of those screens and not find what they want you to see. The one you're at is where you have to find the green goop on the ground iirc. I guess that one is a little tricky cause the grass is green too, but still.

I don't think there are too many more after that one. There's one where you need to zone in on this woman who's watching you in the snow area through a glass window. And the very last part of that game you need to do it (remember this! it is not clear because you are fighting really hard creatures at the same time)

The 15 minutes was sort of an exaggeration, but I did end up quitting. My controller battery was also dying.