PDA

View Full Version : Time Capsule

Starkist
09-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Bored, I started browsing through the General Discussion archives. I found this thread by the indomitable JJMaxx about the state of the internet. http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?286-Is-The-Internet-A-Fad

Now remember, this thread was posted before Facebook, before Netflix, before Skype, and before iPhones. :)

i think it may even become a more important part of our lives, probably even eventually replacing telephones to make for cheap international calls :)

I don't believe that the internet will be leaving us any time soon, but I do think it will change quite a bit.

As broadband becomes more and more popular, (and fast) I predict that it will become more and more of an always-on streaming information service (like television) and entertainment (read 'Just for Fun,' by Linus Torvalds) that you will be able to tune into at any time. But will have less and less ad banners and such, as corporations realize that nobody ever clicks them. (have you ever clicked an ad banner? I havent) Which they are just now starting to.

I see online 'families' such as this one growing and becoming ever more popular, as the internet becomes ever more common and less 'nitch' (although thats already starting to happen alot)

Just think! We at AGN are riding the wave of the future!! w00t!

so when, in 2010, agn has a bajillion members, we'll all have 10,000,000 posts! :kawaii:

The internet has become too much of a part of our everyday lives to be just a fad. It's an invaluable communication tool as well as a very versatile entertainment medium. If anything, it will probably grow to the point where it is used for just about everything... once streaming video gets to the point where the quality is as good as what you see on your TV today, it will probably replace cable and satellite as the preferred method of transmission for TV and the like. Ditto for voice communications... heh, perhaps in the future you'll dial a person's IP address instead of their phone number when you want to talk to them ;)

Beldaran
09-07-2010, 12:30 AM
I just got a netflix account and I'm currently watching The Office all the way through. Sometimes I watch it on my laptop via wireless internet on Baylor's campus, and sometimes I watch it on my high definition television through my PlayStation 3. I can hardly believe how incredible that would sound 10 - 12 years ago.

soccorss12
09-07-2010, 04:41 AM
Still waiting for the account to get activated over netflix

SUCCESSOR
09-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Funniest of all is JJMaxx's thoughts on why the internet will last is pedophiles.

gamex1
09-16-2010, 10:35 AM
I have registered an account days back over netflix but there is no response...Is it someone else facing the same thing?

Bobstoo
10-10-2010, 12:17 PM
The internet will never die

Human_Wormbaby
10-22-2010, 03:52 AM
Neither will this forum

apples
10-31-2010, 10:16 PM
Never die, but certainly it'll all evolve. I look forward to more fully immersible displays, augmented reality. I want Netflix via my car radio, a cell phone that fits in my wallet like a credit card, and cars you don't have to drive like in Minority Report.

Human_Wormbaby
11-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Self-driving cars are coming along nicely. http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/what-were-driving-at.html

AtmaWeapon
11-02-2010, 09:31 AM
They've been "coming along nicely" for something like 10 years. Google's not really doing anything that hasn't been done before, but they are taking advantage of the lull in real developments in this field to exploit public forgetfulness.

We could make cars that drive themselves perfectly right now. We could have done it as soon as 5 years ago, maybe sooner. It is a simple matter of drilling special beacons into the asphalt every 6 inches or so and letting the cars follow the beacons. I witnessed robots driving themselves along paths like this in factories in person in 2003. What about at speed? How do they know about other cars? For that, every car needs a nav beacon that can be detected by other cars for at least a few hundred yards. When every car knows where every other car is, then each car can maintain minimum safe distance and when one brakes hard 5 miles away your car can take measures to compensate. Are you ready to live in a world where <government entity>/<kid with radio shack hardware> can see where your car is at any time of day? Most people aren't. Regardless, the cost of this project would be in the tens of billions of dollars for just the interstates; doing it along city roads would increase the cost further. Not to mention all road maintenance would have to involve drilling special maintenance beacons into the road first, and typical road damage like potholes would suddenly become far more life-threatening. And the whole system is at risk of non-car obstructions; it's going to require a pretty slick LIDAR or other rangefinder to catch cattle in the road.

The cheap technique is to strap a camera onto the car and have it follow the road. Computers can do tens of billions of calculations per second but it's all done serially; even the great supercomputers are only capable of perhaps a few thousand parallel simultaneous calculations. On the other hand, your brain's processing several millions of pixel data in parallel at ~24 frames per second while also analyzing audio and manually adjusting for the lag between visual processing and audio processing. The brain has very specialized circuits for pattern recognition in image data that we have yet to understand, let alone replicate. It's also capable of generating ideas; something computers find tricky. It turns out this task that's really easy for people is incredibly difficult for computers.

It only works if the lines are very high contrast against the roads. Usually that means very black asphalt and very white paint, but if the paint's reflective enough it'll work against lighter asphalt. In urban areas, curbs and parked cars might serve the purpose of lines. This is a problem. On many roads, the paint has low enough contrast that humans have difficulties finding the lines. Sometimes the road crew screws up and the lines are curved or shaky. Many rural roads have no lines at all. Wear and tear over time darkens and damages the paint. Road maintenance often diverts you to shoulders or places where there are no lines or the lines are on the wrong side. The camera might have a hard time recognizing other cars; again the computer tends to rely on highly reflective surfaces like license plates. What about new cars with no plates? What about people that lose their bumpers and put the plate in the window? What about people with no plates? Traffic lights are another problem. Sometimes an accident causes police to direct traffic at a light; how does the computer recognize this? Again, we find ourselves needing a system of beacons to assist the computer, and the expense is intractable. Again, a network of the location of every car on the road would be most helpful, and this is a deep privacy and safety concern.

GPS doesn't help. It's not accurate enough to keep you in a lane, and I haven't used one in Austin that wasn't wrong about where to turn into businesses by a few hundred feet. I don't trust that to stop me from running through a red light or into another vehicle.

No, I'm afraid the only cheap and feasible answer to our transportation problem is to give up the "American dream" of living in remote suburbs (this was a system pitched by GM to sell more cars!) and live in more dense areas served by public transportation. Cars that drive themselves are at least 25 years away in my vision, and every year that goes by without commodity chips (think < $1 for the equivalent of an early Pentium 4) pushes that out further.

I don't want to be a downer, but I also hate seeing Google steal thunder for doing research that's already been done and encountering challenges that have already been well studied. Autonomous cars aren't going to be exciting until they drive themselves down Route 66 and do the street view for towns like Soso, MS or Ellisville, MS, where the roads are poorly maintained and don't have lines at all.

On the flip side, there is some value to a juggernaut like Google getting interested in it. If certain standard road designs are followed, it becomes much easier for cars to drive themselves. If Google could toss some money to lobby for very specific changes to how new roads are built all the way down to the city level, they could make it much easier to solve this problem. I'm not excited that they're doing the research as much as I'm excited that they think it's important. They can grease a lot of gears.

Chris Miller
11-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Or they could make doing stupid stuff like talking on a cellphone while driving carry an extremely high fine and possibly jail time. That alone would make our roads much safer.

jerome
11-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Actually if they could find a way to get rid of the "I won't get caught" mentality, then there'd be a lot less wrecks (anything really).

I won't get caught driving while:
*on my cell phone
*drinking/drunk
*surfing the internet on my computer
*doing my makeup
*driving on a suspended license
*driving like an idiot, becuase I don't care about other people
*whatever else

One thing gone out of the list isn't going to make the roads that much safer.

Human_Wormbaby
11-04-2010, 09:40 PM
I think if anyone can actually bring this technology to the consumer level, it is google. They've got tons of cash, teams of geniuses, and a whole lot of map information thanks to the google vans/street view thingy.

Every time I drive somewhere I feel like I'm really risking my life. Around here at least, a lot of people are driving worse and worse, to the point that simply driving to campus means multiple near-collisions. It seems like ever since the economy went to crap, more and more people are trying to get you to hit them for insurance/financial reasons. "Sometimes you gotta wreck the truck to get the insurance money to make the truck payment, and if you get an injury settlement out of it, all the better" seems to be the prevailing attitude.

I'm not one to trust new technology, but I hope these robocars come out soon if for no other reason than to take some of these people that I know for sure shouldn't be driving off the road.

Holy crap, I'm sorry, I didn't mean for that to turn into a rant X_X

"Hloy crp im so drunk right n" This is the text message that Human_Wormbaby was typing when he crashed headfirst into a mack truck. Don't let texting while driving claim another life.

MasterSwordUltima
11-08-2010, 12:14 PM
How would you solve the issue of weather problems for the car cameras? I'm seeing a lot of miscalculations done on part of these smart cars when all of a sudden the camera has rain on it, or covered by snow. I'm assuming it getting iced over would be solved by some sort of thermometer near the camera, and appropriate heater to melt frost away.