PDA

View Full Version : Valhalla Opinions

DarkFlameWolf
08-08-2010, 08:46 AM
All right everyone, the town: Valhalla is finished. Tear it apart and tell me what you think:
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r35/zidane_matthew/Valhalla.gif

I made it so there is enough mystery involved in just the town itself, revolving around HC Pieces teasing you straight from the start, two magic upgrade locations, a dungeon location and various paths leading out of the village and that mysterious bird statue/windvane. Lots of stuff crammed into this small area, you just have no idea yet. :)

I still feel like I'm struggling to make these screens as detailed as possible. Like I'm not doing enough to make them interesting. Maybe it is just me and my high expectations of myself now. I'm still not sure I have it in me to create a full quest anymore. But we'll see, I'll keep working on it slowly, bit by bit.

Sherilyn Ball
08-31-2010, 03:10 PM
You know that playing your games is like a drug...I am looking ssoooooo looking forward to it an can't get enough. The idea is great and NEW the only comment I would have is ....square shores?????

DarkFlameWolf
08-31-2010, 05:09 PM
alas, that is actually a limitation of the tileset I'm using. If you go to www.vgmaps.com and look up the gameboy zelda games and look at those maps, you see they have the same problem. The designers didn't give themselves an option but to have beaches that open up in any other direction but southwards. Its a limitation of the graphic tiles, but I'm willing to work with that and be okay with that.

Sherilyn Ball
08-31-2010, 05:49 PM
Me Too, keep up the good work!

Anthus
09-01-2010, 03:10 AM
Looks good to me. I've always liked the way you've used trees. I've never really been all that patient with tress.

Brasel
09-03-2010, 09:20 AM
It looks like it actually belongs in a GB Zelda title. I think it looks great.

DarkFlameWolf
09-03-2010, 03:53 PM
I had quit this quest for quite a while because I thought no one was interested in it, but I'm glad to get these awesome comments. Maybe I'll start back up on it...

Brasel
09-03-2010, 04:57 PM
I had quit this quest for quite a while because I thought no one was interested in it, but I'm glad to get these awesome comments. Maybe I'll start back up on it...

Every time I start making a quest, I do it knowing I'll be the only one who really cares about it. You might be holding yourself to a higher standard because of your big quest releases. Yours are the only ones I really have played outside of my own and several back when ZC was in its 1.90/1.92 days. Do it for fun, and who cares who's interested in it? It'll be a big deal when you get done with it because it has your name attached to it, ma'am.

DarkFlameWolf
09-05-2010, 01:29 AM
It'll be a big deal when you get done with it because it has your name attached to it, ma'am.

That's just the thing: my name is attached to it! So there is already preconceived expectation of what people will be receiving in this quest. So its an endless cycle to keep out-doing myself with each successive quest. blarg! Oh well, I'm slowly starting to work on this quest again. I cannot promise it'll be out this year. I'm no longer the major quest builder anymore where I can get a massive quest like Origin/Isle of the Winds/Hidden Duality pumped out in a matter of months like I used to anymore. This was all before I had a husband and child. Now my time is limited and not even sure if I have the 'talent' or 'skills' to work through yet another epic spanning quest and still live up to my own name.

BTW, that is pretty flattering that you've played little else though.

Brasel
09-05-2010, 02:32 PM
That's just the thing: my name is attached to it! So there is already preconceived expectation of what people will be receiving in this quest. So its an endless cycle to keep out-doing myself with each successive quest. blarg! Oh well, I'm slowly starting to work on this quest again. I cannot promise it'll be out this year. I'm no longer the major quest builder anymore where I can get a massive quest like Origin/Isle of the Winds/Hidden Duality pumped out in a matter of months like I used to anymore. This was all before I had a husband and child. Now my time is limited and not even sure if I have the 'talent' or 'skills' to work through yet another epic spanning quest and still live up to my own name.

Meh, not much else seems interesting. Last custom quest I played was LI a year ago or so.

DarkFlameWolf
09-14-2010, 06:21 AM
I'm going to put this on indefinite hold for the moment. I'm not sure if I can make anything good out of it. So if I finish it, I finish it. But I'm not going to be actively working on it.

Brasel
09-17-2010, 06:01 PM

Yeah, I think I might have lied a bit. I didn't realize that 2.10 is as old as it is. I've been going over some quests in the database lately and saw that there were ones I've played before. If anything, yours were the only ones that stood out in my memory and played recently (since 2.5 has been out).

Sherilyn Ball
12-29-2010, 03:37 PM
YOU are the BEST! I mean that. And anything you do will be appreciated. Please keep going

DarkFlameWolf
01-16-2011, 06:30 PM
One or two screens every several weeks seems to be the norm right now, so eventually I'll finish it one of these days.

Binx
01-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Um... if you're worried about having to outdo yourself every time, why not just release it under a pseudonym? For the most part, people wouldn't know it's you, so there may be people who just plain don't like you (can't imagine why, personally) who might actually like this quest. And then, when those people who don't like you rant about how this quest is better than any you've done and this questmaker is better than you, you can just point out thsat it's a false author. of course, i just woke up, so this may not be a good idea after all.... but it could take some pressure off. if no one knows it's your game, they might not expect too much. besides, if you looked at all your quests to find the worst, it wouls still be better than the best i can do.

Sherilyn Ball
01-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Your funny lineas hehehe, but your right. So lets just keep up our support!!!!!!

Gamerfreak10001
01-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Valhalla where have I heard that ?

Binx
01-18-2011, 05:55 AM
viking heaven