PDA

View Full Version : The 'I don't give a f**k about Starcraft II' thread

Darth Marsden
08-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Exactly what it says in the title. I'd like to be able to visit somewhere that isn't gaga for SC2, even if it is just a thread I created out of nothing but spite.

So...

...let's talk about what's been up with me and games lately, huh? 'cause lord knows I've had a big falling out with games lately. I don't know why, really, I just seem to have to force myself to play them more then I used to. It's like "C'mon Darth, you want to play a game!". And then I'll play something like Ghostbusters for a bit and I'll just coast through it, not hating it but not massively enjoying it either. Then I'll get bored and stop playing and just browse the net for a bit before getting bored and doing something else.

Any of you get that?

MottZilla
08-06-2010, 12:55 PM
I agree with you, except for SC2. SC2 is the only game that has come out lately that has interested me. For the past few weeks to a month I have had very little interest in video games too. I don't know if you are an old school gamer or not, but if you are you could try playing some of the older games you haven't played in awhile or ones you never got to play. For example awhile back I actually played the whole Secret of Mana on SNES for the first time. I had played it before never getting very far but awhile ago I decided I was going to play through the whole game start to finish, legitimately with no cheat codes or anything like that. It was a blast. It didn't matter the game was from the early 90s, it was still alot of fun.

If all you are doing is waiting for some new game to come out and blow you away it's not likely to happen. Games these days are just average and play to premade molds that are accepted. That's why they aren't fun.

Brasel
08-06-2010, 03:20 PM
I'm the same way. I haven't been able to finish Final Fantasy XIII or Dragon Age...and instead I focused on Chrono Trigger. I'm trying to get my hands on a working copy of Chrono Cross now (mine doesn't work). Secret of Mana actually sounds like a good idea. I haven't played all the way through it yet.

Darth Marsden
08-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I did get pretty far into the DS version of Chrono Trigger a while back. Tapered off thanks to the new quests they added, which just got a bit old and bored me off. Really should get back into that at some point.

But these days if I do force myself to play a game, it's usually an old one I've played before, which really doesn't help me get into it. Finding old games that I haven't played before it interesting, but a bit tricky. For example, I've recently 'discovered' TY the Tasmanian Tiger and its sequels, which should keep me going for a bit, but again, it's the whole 'forcing myself to do it' aspect that gets to me.

And I'm not denying that SC2 is a good game. I'm just sick of hearing about it everywhere, and since I'm not really into strategy games, I wanted somewhere I could chat about games without it cropping up. That's all. Thanks for ruining it :p

Daarkseid
08-06-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm with you on the "don't give a fuck about sc2", and probably games being harder to get into. Still haven't gotten anywhere in RE5. Instead I've been playing the same game for the past four months(Anno 1404: Dawn of Discovery), but I feel as though its mostly out of habit at this point.

I'm actually looking forward to New Vegas though, so I'm certain by the fall I'll have a game I'm actually wanting to play.

Orion
08-06-2010, 05:33 PM
I hear you, I've tried so many games I bought in the bargain bin recently, RE5, GTA4, Fable 2, none of which I've been able to finish. The only two games I'm waiting for are Metroid: Other M (which still isn't a guaranteed purchase for me, I'm skeptical that it will play too much like Metroid Fusion, which I didn't like), and Final Fantasy XIV, which seems to be shaping up to be my kind of game.

So, instead, I've been going back and trying to beat Yoshi's Island (never did beat it when I had it on the SNES) and I'm thinking about tackling Legend of Mana.

Darth Marsden
08-07-2010, 02:34 AM
Yay! People are agreeing with me! My existence is validated! :D

I've been playing Dragon Quest IX a wee bit lately, and the main reason is that it feels very old-school. Proper turn-based battles and everything. Not so sure about all this multiplayer marlarkey, but the single-player stuff is pretty good, and sometimes all you really want to do is a little bit of level grinding, so yeah.

There's definitely something missing with modern games. Sure the looks are there, but where's the personality? The soul? They just seem to be gritty, realistic and dull. No pizazz to them.

Incidentally, has anyone played the Monkey Island 2 remake? I tried it, but gave up quite quickly. It's good, but I've already played it a dozen times! Pretty graphics (and a much better interface then the MI1 remake) can't change that!

Mercy
08-08-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm actually looking forward to New Vegas though, so I'm certain by the fall I'll have a game I'm actually wanting to play.
Here, here. I never got into SC and have no intention of getting on the 'crack now. But New Vegas looks made of happy.

-m.

Anthus
08-09-2010, 04:24 PM
I don't give a fuck about RTSs period D:

Darth Marsden
08-09-2010, 04:50 PM
I don't give a fuck about RTSs period D:Generally I agree, but sometimes it's nice to play the first level of C&C and just tank rush the enemy into oblivion. So very nice.

And seriously, nobody's played the Monkey Island 2 Special Edition? C'mon!

Skulkraken
08-10-2010, 09:30 AM
I haven't bothered trying to get SC2. ...Actually, I've never even bothered with the first game.

Instead, I've been playing MMOs, like World of Tanks or Cosmic Break.

Darth Marsden
08-10-2010, 03:48 PM
See, I could never get into MMOs. I've never been into multiplayer games period, and if I wanted the MMO experience, I'd just play a normal RPG at half 12 in the morning with my windows open so I could hear the drunks insult each other.

Finally found a way to get all three bonus skins into my 'offline' version of Forgotten Sands. I'm having fun replaying the game as the Sand Wraith, just to see people react with utter indifference at the fact that they're facing Baron Samedi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_Samedi_%28James_Bond%29). It's great fun.

Anthus
08-10-2010, 04:17 PM
The only MMO's I've been able to get into are one's that are not point-and-click. To me, those are just boring. I played Maple Story for a while with some friends in high school, then moved on to various point-and-click (Flyff, Domo, Seal Online) and got bored of each one rather quickly. I got into Dragonica about a year ago, and played it pretty regularly, but all my friends I played with kinda quit, so I got bored of it. MMO's are kind of boring period unless you have people to play with. On of my friends is all over DFO right now, and I might check it out when I get home, since this internet here makes playing any online game impossible.

And.. I've tried to play RTS games. They just don't interest me. I like games where you can just kind of walk around, and do whatever. Freedom in a agem is important, and making sure that what you are doing is entertaining is also important.

Skulkraken
08-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Neither of those two games I named are RPGs. :p

Darth Marsden
08-11-2010, 02:13 AM
Meh, all online experiences play out the same to me. ;)