PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Classic 2.5 sprite issues

MR BT
08-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Hi. I'm using Zelda Classic Beta 1281-win. I've been working on a new quest, with my own custom sprites. I've taken the time to make some nice-looking tiles, but the animations I've made don't look right. I've read through a few online tutorials, but haven't found the solution to the following problem.

When it asked me at the beginning how I wanted the initial quest rules set up, I checked "Zelda 3-esque". I grabbed the palette colors and tiles from the bmp file where I had saved my images in 16pixel by 16 pixel arrangement. I then started out using the BS-Zelda setting for the Graphic Sprite setting page for Link. I found difficulty in figuring out the way to arrange the tiles in the right order to execute a good animation. I researched yesterday and found that an exact sequence is needed in the tile layout for BS-Zelda animations, but it looked very limited in how many frames you could squeeze into it.

So I decided today to try the Zelda 3 setting for the Graphic Sprite setting page for Link. This seemed to alleviate the problem of precise sequential arrangement, as well as allowing more frames per individual animation. I completed the walking and stab animations in all four directions, and they looked fine. I decided to test it out, saving it as a new test quest. In the game however, it appeared that there were only 2 frames (out of the many I had made) repeated in the animations for any of the four directions for stab attack and walk. I went back into ZQuest and found 2 rules that were unchecked called "BS-Zelda Animations" and "Expanded Link Tile Modifiers". I checked them, saved, retried it in Zelda Classic, but it appeared to make no difference.

I think it would be sweet if the sprite setting page had a few more options along the lines of being able to set how many tiles per animation (instead of having to set a general rule for all of them), and if you were able to individually select the tiles for the animation, so that the frames wouldn't have to be already arranged sequentially on the tile sheet. All that said, my quest still looks pretty cool. Thanks for a great program! :o

P.S. I am not entirely new to Zelda Classic. Back in 2003, I was a member of the Zelda Classic Network moderated by Glenn and others, and I was author of a quest that earned their Quest of the Week award once: Link's Memory (a quest that sought and succeeded in a small degree to EXACTLY reproduce the Zelda 3 land, item, and character tiles). If it would help to send you some pictures of what I'm trying to do, or if it would be helpful to have my email address, please let me know. Thanks again.

POST UPDATE (just read the sticky about submitting the quest for the developers to examine):
http://www.zshare.net/download/79000917c3e3ddf5/

_L_
08-08-2010, 04:55 AM
Hmmm.... the bug is that the ZQuest Link Tile window is misleading - the "Zelda 3" animation styles don't actually use more than 1 stab tile.

XMuppetSB
03-12-2011, 03:56 PM
And this issue still exists. Think we should get that Link Tile window's Z3 Animation previews fixed?