PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Tracks

Anthus
07-26-2010, 04:09 PM
So, I picked up this game about two weeks ago. Well.... Here it is.

Here's Anthus ready to bitch, yet again--

But wait...

It is actually pretty good, especially next to it's DS prequel. There are two things I'll say up front about it that I think keep is from being a genuinely great Zelda game. First off, the train. God damn, Nintendo, you give us a nice looking (by the DS standards) world here, complete with fields, mountains, and all that shit, but you don't let us walk around it on foot? Why? Now, they game is quiet literally on rails through what could be an awesome Zelda experience. I know the area is a bit bland, but was OoT's Hyrule field crammed with detail? Did the one ground, and one tree tile in LoZ bother us? No. I would have absolutely loved to explore the areas on foot. If they would have worked on it for another six months, and maybe made it possible, it would have been worth the wait. It's not like they've never delayed a Zelda game before. On the upside, the game does have way more areas, and actual secrets, and side quests to do/ find. That is a plus.

My second issue is the lack of a button alternative. I like using the stylus, and it is a nice touch (no pun intended). However, the lack of an option to use buttons makes the game somewhat difficult to play at times. I get tired of holding my DS in one hand, and if I set it down, the angle is not always great. These are minor at first, sure, but after a few hours... I'd really love to use the D-pad. I think it is kind of a slap in the face on Nintendo's part. They put forcing new control mechanics over practicality. Other games have features that make playing it more enjoyable, so it really feels kinda cheap jab at keeping a gimmick alive, which, is alright in small doses, or at your leisure.

Now, let's talk about the art style. I may or may not be known for talking as lot of shit about the cell shaded style not holding up on the DS, but this game definitely looks better than PH. Well, at least the field does. The dungeons, and stuff still use that PH look, but it just feels like it looks better. It kind of feels like a 3D GBC Zelda. The field does have some pretty far draw distances and that really adds scope, and depth to the game. I like this art style, so it works out fine to me.

Dungeons. Okay, I have just gotten to the Fire Temple, but I must say the dungeons are better as well. They are just more enjoyable, and the Spirit Tower is not a tedious piece of shit like the Ocean Temple in PH. There even appears to be an optional dungeon in the Snow Realm, though I've only just set foot in it once. The battle area in Castle Town is a nice touch too. The game seems to have a lot of extras, which has been a big part of Zelda. I'll admit, a lot of the side quests are glorified fetch quests, but they are usually masked well enough. The lack of heart pieces sort of sucks in a way, because now all you have to look forward to is finding Rupees, or a Treasure, which equals Rupees, or train parts.

All in all, it is a good game, but it definitely has some draw backs. Maybe the next handhelded will get it right. Ideally, for me anyway, those rumors about an AlttP remake will pan out :D

I can't really think of anything else to say about it for now. I'd recommend it is you hated PH, because it is better, and seriously, I really, really hated PH. I didn't even finish it. I beat all the dungeons, but did not want to trek through the Gauntlet of Dicks again, so I was like “Fuck it, I beat 85% of the game, and it was not very good, that last 15% can't be too much better.”

Brasel
07-26-2010, 04:37 PM
I've never been a huge fan of the portable Zelda games besides Link's Awakening. I haven't finished a single one, though I've played most of them. Minish Cap was okay, and I got to the end boss, but I never bothered beating it. The two GBC Zelda games I just couldn't get into. Phantom Hourglass never interested me enough to buy it, though I borrowed it from a friend for a little while...it just wasn't that good. I don't see how I could possibly be interested in another portable Zelda game, this time based around a train. I'll wait until the latest main console entry comes in.