PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Kombat Reboot

Dark Nation
06-08-2010, 11:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_MqZn7E-mk

Trailer looks good. Is that Jeri Ryan?

Mercy
06-09-2010, 01:55 AM
I am intrigued. Hopefully this indicates WB has settled the legal issues that have been delaying it.

-m.

Chris Miller
06-09-2010, 04:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_MqZn7E-mk

Trailer looks good. Is that Jeri Ryan?

Indeed it was. :D
It looks promising, but I see JJ Abrams' hand in this somewhere...

ctrl-alt-delete
06-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Looks phenomenal.

God, I hope this pans out.

bigjoe
06-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Yeah because an urban murder mystery is EXACTLY what Mortal Kombat brings to mind

coughsheeplecough

MottZilla
06-11-2010, 09:37 PM
The use of Baraka is fucked up, making him some black dude that is a whiney bitch failed doctor that mutilated himself. That's a far cry from him being the mutant from Outworld (or some other realm). We'll see if they ever make anything but if they do I sure hope they don't fuck this up real bad like that second MK movie. The first movie was actually a decent movie. But this idea of Baraka as a black man gone crazy doesn't show that they give a fuck about Mortal Kombat's actual back story.

LinkSlash
06-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Was there any notice on this coming out before it hit youtube? For the big names in it, it sure seemed to come out of nowhere.

MottZilla
06-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Since no one mentioned it, this trailer is something they put together to pitch the idea to the studio and try to get them to pick it up. I guess it got leaked out somehow. This doesn't actually mean there will be a new MK movie ever, much less any time soon.

AtmaWeapon
06-13-2010, 06:47 PM
My guess is the "somehow it got leaked" part is "the director helped it find its way to YouTube". Movie studios are pretty paranoid about taking risks and I don't think prior MK films were exactly blockbusters (though I didn't pay them much attention so what do I know?) Odds are the trailer was "leaked" to get a lot of buzz about its potential. If the executives feel like the internet thinks it's a winner, it might tip them towards accepting it.

Of course, that's assuming they don't realize that the gaming community is as easy to read as a Richard Scarry book. The formula for generating a lot of buzz about a movie is pretty much "let slip a rumor about $videoGame". If the executives figure that part out it may go nowhere.

I like the notion of an MK film that focuses on the ultra-violent aspects of the game. I didn't look at the last movies much, but the feeling I got was they were focused more on making a martial arts movie. Part of what differentiated MK from other fighting games was its focus on violence and gore; in Street Fighter (ignoring the side plots and comics/movies) people get beaten to a pulp then walk away. In MK, someone gets their bones made into soup.

I think Mottzilla has a valid concern, but I'd still watch an MK film without the Outworld. I guess it's mainly because as far as I'm concerned the plot is one of the most insignificant details of a fighting game. I do think if a director wants to throw out the "mutants and demons" part then he's going to have to work harder to make it believable. It's kind of a silly road to walk down. The only reason I can think of for it is "demons aren't real", but then in this trailer we're introduced to a resurrected immortal ninja assassin. Demons aren't real, but resurrected immortal ninja assassins are? Interesting.

Dechipher
07-15-2010, 03:05 PM
I agree about the plot being the most insignificant factor in a fighting game, but to me, plot and characterization are usually closely related. MK has a plethora of cool characters, and the plot is actually pretty cool. It helps you suspend disbelief, because it works well with itself.