PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy 2

Cloral
05-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Has anybody else picked this up yet? What do you think so far?
I'm up to world 2 so far, with 15 stars. It's fun, though I don't think I would put it up to the level of GoTY material like everyone in the press seems to think it is.

Anthus
05-27-2010, 12:33 AM
I want it badly, but I still can't get it for a little while. IGN gave it a perfect 10, but their Nintendo guy has given some real clunkers high scores, like the complete ass Zelda DS games. I can definitely see this game surpassing the original, as it seems, from reviews, that they have fixed the camera issues. I have very high hopes. I loved the first, one, and this one does look better. I will say, at first, I was kinda dissapointed that there is no longer a hub world.

Nicholas Steel
05-27-2010, 12:46 AM
I would but I can wait until July 1st. I've already pre-ordered it.

Christian
05-27-2010, 04:20 AM
I have it and it defitnetly deserves GOTY.

Thunderbird
05-27-2010, 09:03 AM
91 stars so far. I don't really mind the lack of a hub world per se, as that means there's no finicky handling trying to get to some of the odd locations (such as the Engine Room) that existed in the original. I'm liking some of the differences I've seen so far.

norris1
05-27-2010, 11:53 AM
oh man, you're so lucky to have it already! I want it, but I can never seem to find the time to even play it =/....my xbox, ps3, and wii just sit there collecting dust

vegeta1215
05-27-2010, 01:00 PM
I got mine in the mail yesterday, and I'm already ~3 hours, and just got to the 2nd world. It does have a very familiar feeling, which is good and bad - good cause I'm already adapt to controlling Mario and some puzzles types, but a little bad cause it doesn't feel as new. But so far there have been a lot of cool things in the galaxies, and I can't wait to see what is next :)

I'm sure any other game playing will be pushed to the side now that I have this.

Orion
05-27-2010, 09:11 PM
I rented it, mostly because I don't have the money to pick it up at the moment. I will purchase it when I can though, because the little bit I've played seems pretty fun. Just more of a good thing, with some Super Mario World (my favorite Mario) elements thrown in. It seems to be one of those games that I'll sit down to play, and 5 hours magically disappear.

I am glad to see the hub world go, but something about the way they executed the map world seems clunky. I think it's the going back and forth between the Mario head thing and the map. Yes, I know I got a new power up in that level. Wow, a letter, just for me? Nintendo needs to take a cue from Apple and learn how to make sure the interface (in this case, annoyingly excessive dialogue) stays out of my way.

rock_nog
05-27-2010, 10:00 PM
If it weren't for the fact that these days, my gaming is sporadic, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. The first Mario Galaxy was literally one of the best games I ever played. Not once in the entire game did I feel like moving on to the next level was a chore, even after I got enough stars to beat the game. Never before have I put so much effort into a game only to reach the end thinking, "That's it? I want more!" Given that every review I've read says that it actually improves on the first, something I didn't even think was possible, I pretty much know for a fact that I'm going to friggin' love the sequel.

Icey
05-27-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm picking this up on the weekend. I'm bummed that there is no hub world though, I actually enjoyed running around the hub in the first game. I'll post later with my impressions.

vegeta1215
05-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Yes, I know I got a new power up in that level. Wow, a letter, just for me? Nintendo needs to take a cue from Apple and learn how to make sure the interface (in this case, annoyingly excessive dialogue) stays out of my way.

Do you get the glass contained power-up just for finding it? My original thought was you got it if you ended the level while the power-up was active, which I thought was cooler...

Orion
05-28-2010, 12:21 AM
Huh, well that does make a bit more sense.

I got to the World 3 castle tonight, though didn't beat it. This game gets to be legitimately difficult at times. I'm not used to getting game overs :P

*b*
05-28-2010, 02:35 AM
I'm on the fence about this one. On the one hand, it has Yoshi in it, which is an instant plus for me, but on the other hand, I'm afraid it's more of the same stuff we saw in Galaxy 1, only in different context. I'll have to rent it, if I can find a place that still rents games anymore..

Cloral
05-28-2010, 12:54 PM
I am glad to see the hub world go, but something about the way they executed the map world seems clunky. I think it's the going back and forth between the Mario head thing and the map. Yes, I know I got a new power up in that level. Wow, a letter, just for me? Nintendo needs to take a cue from Apple and learn how to make sure the interface (in this case, annoyingly excessive dialogue) stays out of my way.

Agreed. The old hub world was silly, but the new interface just feels weird for some reason. Why do I need 28 stars to fly to a certain galaxy, and why can't I fly around a galaxy and go to the ones behind it? And why is the space between the galaxies in the first world blue like the sky?

Whatever. It's a minor niggle. And the game as a whole is pretty sweet. I finished the second world yesterday, and Bowser's castle in that world is awesome.

PS: Has anybody figured out what to do with the comet medals yet? I've got a fair number of them, but can't seem to do anything with them.

vegeta1215
05-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Agreed. The old hub world was silly, but the new interface just feels weird for some reason. Why do I need 28 stars to fly to a certain galaxy, and why can't I fly around a galaxy and go to the ones behind it? And why is the space between the galaxies in the first world blue like the sky?

Whatever. It's a minor niggle. And the game as a whole is pretty sweet. I finished the second world yesterday, and Bowser's castle in that world is awesome.

PS: Has anybody figured out what to do with the comet medals yet? I've got a fair number of them, but can't seem to do anything with them.

Spaceship Mario uses the Power Stars as fuel, that's why you can't go any farther, duh! ;) That's how the game explains it, but obviously it doesn't make complete sense cause if the Power Stars were really fuel you'd run out and wouldn't be able to go back and forth to previously created galaxies. I think some times you just gotta stop thinking about things as much and just enjoy the ride.

As for the Comet Medals, I think that after some time/event each galaxy that you collect a Comet Medal for will have a comet challenge.

ctrl-alt-delete
05-29-2010, 12:55 AM
I grabbed a leaked copy of the game two days before it released.

I'm somewhere near a hundred stars on the fifth world.

I haven't been able to play it near as much as I've wanted to...

I am having a complete blast with it though, as posted in another thread.

Just wish Luigi's ghosts served a bigger purpose...the couple I tried seemed pretty difficult...why not throw in another how ever many stars for beating them? Seems like it would be simple enough to implement, and it would give the game WAY more replay value and difficulty for completionists such as myself.

Thunderbird
05-29-2010, 01:17 AM
I'm not sure if the Comet Medals all lock comets...I got a Galaxy Complete on Fluffy Bunny Galaxy without a Comet Star. I think it might be that some comets need a certain number of medals to appear.

Pineconn
05-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Just got the 242nd star. SMG2 is by far the best gaming experience I've ever had the privilege to play. Some of those green stars really test your scavenging skills. I have serious concerns for anyone who has a significant qualm with this game.

Cloral
05-30-2010, 12:31 AM
As for the Comet Medals, I think that after some time/event each galaxy that you collect a Comet Medal for will have a comet challenge.

The event is to play on the Tall Trunk galaxy. The wooden guy from that galaxy comes aboard the ship and tells you about them, and then they start appearing.

Oh, and the slide on that level. When the old slide song from Mario 64 came up I got a huge grin on my face.

Anthus
05-30-2010, 12:33 AM
I am experiencing Mario withdrawal. I've been puttering around Galaxy 1 with Luigi, and playing NSMB:Wii. I want this game.

Icey
05-30-2010, 04:02 AM
So I picked up the game today. It's a blast so far! I'm not that far along, but I'm really enjoying it. I'm glad they let you try out Yoshi so early, I was curious how he would be.

Orion
05-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Oh, and the slide on that level. When the old slide song from Mario 64 came up I got a huge grin on my face.

I loved it, but that slide gave me so much hell :P Now I'm difficulty on another, playing as Luigi. For some reason, the spring power-up seems really frustrating with him. Speaking of, does anyone know what causes him to show up in a level? Or is it just random appearance?

One thing I noticed, from both Galaxy games, is the genius sound design. I particularly loved the Space Storm galaxy, where you slow down time, and it makes the music sound like it's crackling through a radio. Totally 1950-s sci-fi. Brilliant.

Icey
05-30-2010, 09:07 PM
What are these ghosts that appear in a galaxy? I just got a couple stars with Luigi on the Freezy Flake Galaxy, and after both I got a message that a ghost has appeared at that galaxy. I went back but didn't find anything....

Edit: Crap, the comet coins appear on the first star of every galaxy? I missed a lot then... have to replay to get them now. I liked it better when the comets appeared without you having to do anything (SMG1).

ctrl-alt-delete
05-31-2010, 01:36 AM
The ghosts are the developers fastest runs, so ultimately time trials.

When you go back into the star that you completed with Luigi his ghost will be there at the very beginning of the stage somewhere.

You get absolutely nothing but bragging rights for beating it though.

King Link
05-31-2010, 04:15 PM
If I had a Wii, I'd be all over it. The advertisement sort of makes me feel childish and giddy.
I played the original at my little brother's place, and I loved that game. Very much.
Maybe it's time to just pick up a Wii for myself.

The_Amaster
05-31-2010, 07:51 PM
Going through the green stars now, and HOLYCRAPAWESOME! game. Some of the stages just drop my jaw with the incrediblness, like the second star of Melty Monster

If I had a Wii, I'd be all over it. The advertisement sort of makes me feel childish and giddy.
I played the original at my little brother's place, and I loved that game. Very much.
Maybe it's time to just pick up a Wii for myself.

Also, one, I'm linking to another forum, and two I'm linking to a thread I myself made, so this feels a bit indulgent, but you don't have a Wii yet? You're missing out on some of the best titles this gen man.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396775

vegeta1215
06-03-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm about 50 stars in, and having a blast so far. I've seen Luigi pop up in quite a few levels. I haven't switched to play as him, but is there any reason to aside from a personal challenge? You don't get anything extra by getting a star with Luigi, do you?

The_Amaster
06-03-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm about 50 stars in, and having a blast so far. I've seen Luigi pop up in quite a few levels. I haven't switched to play as him, but is there any reason to aside from a personal challenge? You don't get anything extra by getting a star with Luigi, do you?
Nope, just for the fun of it. Once you pass a certain point you can switch over to him at any time on the Faceship as well

Orion
06-03-2010, 11:56 AM
I was able to beat World 6 before I had to return the game, but only got past the first "Special World" level. I still don't understand the star requirements to move along the map. It just seems unnecessary. Here's a new level, now go play 5 old ones so you can move to the next new level!

It was really refreshing to see some truly difficult designs this time around. I hope to be able to actually buy the thing soon (might get it from Amazon and use the $20 credit on Metroid when it comes out). Until then, back to the first galaxy. I still have yet to beat that game as Luigi, and it'll be fun to get some perspective on how things have changed.

Yapollo
06-03-2010, 05:51 PM
I am on World 4 with approx 50 stars. I was making good head way, but then school has kept me busy....but, I'm done now.

So far my least favorite challenge is....

POTENTIAL SPOILER FOR ANYONE BEFORE WORLD 2

The stupid bird challenge in World 2, I disliked the ray challenge in Galaxy 1, and the bird challenges are not better.

vegeta1215
06-04-2010, 08:39 AM
So far my least favorite challenge is....

POTENTIAL SPOILER FOR ANYONE BEFORE WORLD 2

The stupid bird challenge in World 2, I disliked the ray challenge in Galaxy 1, and the bird challenges are not better.

I didn't like the ray challenges much in Galaxy 1, but I think the bird ones in Galaxy 2 are better because you can't fall to your doom with the slightest twitch. At worst, you get banged up from hitting a wall (which is hard to do) or just lose the race.

Icey
06-04-2010, 05:08 PM
I actually really liked the ray challenges in Galaxy 1, they were a lot of fun. I was glad to have to work to get my stars there. The bird on the other hand, I don't like. It just feels cumbersome to control. I hope there aren't many stars requiring it.

Orion
06-04-2010, 05:41 PM
I, too, didn't mind the races in the first Galaxy. You just had to ride the brake button and go fast on the straight parts. Go slow to go fast.

The bird on the other hand, meh. I think they probably just ripped the whole thing right out of Twilight Princess?

Cloral
06-04-2010, 06:52 PM
I just feel like those sorts of things don't really belong. They feel tacked on. I do like variety, but I bought a Mario game to play as Mario and do Mario-type things. I wish they would stick to just that. If they want to do gliding, why not make a separate game for that?

Anthus
06-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Finally got it. I only got a few stars though. Seems cool so far. I like the knew Mario ship better than I thought I would. I was hoping to see the Koopa kids here too, since honestly I actually find baby Bowser to be really annoying.

Pineconn
06-05-2010, 01:01 AM
I actually really enjoy the Fluzzard ("bird") stars. It's really not that hard to control, like, at all.

Anthus
06-05-2010, 03:28 PM
I actually really enjoy the Fluzzard ("bird") stars. It's really not that hard to control, like, at all.

Agreed. I actually thought it was cool, and this is coming from someone who is not too fond of motion controls at all. The Ray on the other hand... Ick.

I really liked the Hightail Falls Galaxy, mainly cause of the music. The Tall Trunk slide was easy too, did in on my first try. When I saw videos of it, I assumed it was motion controlled, but I was pleasantly surprised to find analog control in tact. I'm near the end of world four, with 36 stars. All in all, it is actually much more diverse in level design than the first game. In the review when they said basically that "every level is different" I was like "bullshit", but really they are all quite varied. Admittedly, some aren't quite as memorable as others, but there are some amazing levels here. I really enjoyed the World 2 Castle, and I am looking forward to the World 4 one as well. They are a vast improvement over the Bowser stages from Galaxy 1, which I thought where over way too quick.

Amazing game. I think it is better than the first one so far.

EDIT: I will say I was disappointed that the fire flower is not permanent.

Icey
06-05-2010, 05:15 PM
EDIT: I will say I was disappointed that the fire flower is not permanent.

Speaking of the fire flower, is it not one of the powerups that goes in the room with the other ones you complete the level with? For example I have a rock, drill, bee mushroom in a glass case in the (engine?) room, but when I completed the level with the fire flower, it didn't get added to the collection.

Thunderbird
06-05-2010, 07:09 PM
It was eventually added to my collection, but I can't remember when.

My main gripe is that while Bowser Jr's battles are all different...Bowser's aren't, except for the final.

Icey
06-05-2010, 08:02 PM
I just played the Beat Block Galaxy and man it was a pain in the ass! I got a ton of star bits off of it though since I kept dying...

I'm on world six but I don't always do the hungry luma stars right away, so that's why I went back to world 3 for that one.

Anthus
06-05-2010, 08:45 PM
World 6 with.. 66 Stars. Wow. The Throwback Galaxy was awesome. Kind of random though, but it was sweet. Does the "Rainbow Star" get added to the items in the engine room? I finished one of the comet challenges with it, but it didn't add it.

I kinda rushed through the worlds just to gain access to everything. I'll be going back once I beat World 6.

Icey
06-05-2010, 11:22 PM
I've now finished 3 stars with the fire flower and it hasn't been added to my collection. What gives?

And no, I'm pretty sure the rainbow star doesn't get added, Anthus.

Anthus
06-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Hmm. Then maybe there is another power up I haven't encounter yet, cause it looks like there'd be room for it. So far I have the Rockshrrom, Ghost Shroom, Bee Suit, Cloud Suit, and that's it, I think. There are two spaces left, and I know one is for the fire flower. the last ne must be either some flying power up (Red Star?) or maybe the spring, which I have not seen yet (Or the Ice Flower, which also has not popped up).

Icey
06-05-2010, 11:54 PM
The other one is the drill. Just be carrying it while you get the star and it'll be in the room.

vegeta1215
06-06-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm starting to think that you don't get the power up item in the glass case just for finishing the level with it, but maybe you get it after a certain level that uses it.

I'm currently in World 5. Still having a lot of fun. But I just got the new Prince of Persia for Wii, and have played it for like 3-4 hours just today! (and I got it today!) It's really good too.

Anthus
06-06-2010, 01:38 AM
Actually, I have the drill too, I forgot to mention it. Yeah, the last ones are the fire flower, and that god awful spring mushroom. Man, that Chomp galaxy with the spring is a bitch.

The_Amaster
06-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Speaking of the fire flower, is it not one of the powerups that goes in the room with the other ones you complete the level with? For example I have a rock, drill, bee mushroom in a glass case in the (engine?) room, but when I completed the level with the fire flower, it didn't get added to the collection.
Its added after one of the "burn up these crates" stars

Anthus
06-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Way to take a secret stage from Mario Sunshine, and use is in the Special World, Nintendo. =D

Believe it or not, some of us actually played, and liked Mario Sunshine.

Nicholas Steel
06-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Mario sunshine is hella awesome. It's one of there genuinely difficult mario games without "gay" artifical limitations imposed to boost the difficulty.

Icey
06-07-2010, 08:49 PM
I never finished Sunshine. Didn't really like it.

Orion
06-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Man, that Chomp galaxy with the spring is a bitch.

I got so mad at that level. I never did get past it, but the timing of the jumps seems really odd, and not as comfortable as they were in the first Galaxy. Then again, I did only try it as Luigi, maybe that makes a difference.

I never did beat Sunshine, either. Lost interest. The game seemed like it was based entirely on an item that should have, at most, been an occasional power-up.