PDA

View Full Version : Dude, i'm getting a Wii

Master Ghaleon
05-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Well after talking to a friend of mine and showing me all the old school games I can download, I am really thinking about getting a Wii for myself. I need some recommendations on some games that you guys/girls like to play. Also my friend was talking about I should install homebrew . Is this something I should do? I really don't wanna mess the system up if it has anything to do with hacking. I would have no clue what to do or how I would fix it if I fucked it to hell and back. Any info to help me out would be greatly appreciated

Thunderbird
05-09-2010, 10:59 PM
I've been playing Monster Hunter Tri on my Wii almost exclusively these days. I'm also looking forward to Sin and Punishment (not referring to the VC game) when it comes out.

Saffith
05-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Besides the big ones everyone will inevitably recommend, I'll add these: the Boom Blox games, de Blob, the Bit.Trip series, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, the Lost Winds series, A Boy and His Blob, and World of Goo.

vegeta1215
05-10-2010, 09:55 AM
I've been playing Monster Hunter Tri on my Wii almost exclusively these days. I'm also looking forward to Sin and Punishment (not referring to the VC game) when it comes out.

Now that you've had some time with the game, what do you think of it? I'm thinking about getting it in the future once I have some time to get into a game again. (and after Super Mario Galaxy 2 comes out)

Ummm lets see... games I have that are great (that have not been mentioned)... Madworld (short but crazy fun), Metroid Prime Trilogy, Okami, Tomb Raider Anniversary (don't get Tomb Raider Underworld, it sucks), Wario Land: Shake It, Rune Factory Frontier (Harvest Moon meets dungeon crawler. very addicting), Zack and Wiki, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, Residency Evil 4: Wii Edition (it's worth playing again!), Tatsunoko vs Capcom... I can't think of the other games I have. I don't do homebrew, but I did get Fatal Frame IV and used a translation patch to let me play it in English on my American Wii.

I also second A Boy and His Blob, and World of Goo.

Master Ghaleon
05-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Here is a small list that I am planning to get before reading what you guys have suggested.

Virtual Console -

Bubble Bobble
Contra III : The Alien Wars
Golden Axe (arcade)
Golden Axe II
Ice Hockey
Legend of Zelda
Mega Man
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Mega Man 4
Military Madness (Love this game)
Ninja Spirit
Punch-Out!!
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Splatterhouse
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario World

I am not sure which Mario kart I want. I loved them all but never played the one for the Wii

Masamune
05-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Wii is like the easiest thing to run homebrew on these days. http://hbc.hackmii.com/ Very easy to do yourself. From there, there's another hack you can do to run Wii isos off an external USB hard drive, which is pretty sweet. Also, the NES, SNES, and Sega homebrew emulators are often better than the emulators included with the classic game downloads you pay for. Wii is pretty sweet if you feel like throwing that setup together, I think it's worth it anyway.

Also, I'd recommend No More Heroes, No More Heroes 2, New SMB Wii, and Smash Bros Brawl if you feel like checking those out. Those were the games I had the most fun with.

DarkFlameWolf
05-11-2010, 11:05 AM
I don't understand why you'd download the old MM1-6 on virtual console when you can just buy off amazon the anniversary collection and play it directly on the Wii.

Cloral
05-11-2010, 02:32 PM
And as for the Genesis games, you could pick up Sonic's UGC used for like $20. It has 40 Genesis games, including the Sonic games, the Golden Axe games, the Streets of Rage games, the Phantasy Star games, and a bunch of others. In other words, there are much less expensive options for picking up classic games than the virtual console. Plus the UGC has value ads, like savestates and unlockables.

erm2003
05-11-2010, 04:56 PM
I don't understand why you'd download the old MM1-6 on virtual console when you can just buy off amazon the anniversary collection and play it directly on the Wii.

The GC game messed up the controls (had the shot and jump button backwards) with no way of customizing them. That shouldn't be a reason for why someone would not get it, but quite a few people have decided to use the VC versions because they are more true to the NES style and easier to play in that regard. I still use the GC version with the opposite controls. It's annoying but something you can get used to.

Master Ghaleon
05-11-2010, 08:28 PM

I didn't know that was an option :P But I will look into it

And as for the Genesis games, you could pick up Sonic's UGC used for like $20. It has 40 Genesis games, including the Sonic games, the Golden Axe games, the Streets of Rage games, the Phantasy Star games, and a bunch of others. In other words, there are much less expensive options for picking up classic games than the virtual console. Plus the UGC has value ads, like savestates and unlockables.

I will also look into this too. I will only have a wii for a console so if this is something for another system then this alterative wouldn't work for me

I am going to buy a black Wii here prolly next week. Is there any accessories that I should look for?

DarkFlameWolf
05-11-2010, 09:27 PM
The GC game messed up the controls (had the shot and jump button backwards) with no way of customizing them. That shouldn't be a reason for why someone would not get it, but quite a few people have decided to use the VC versions because they are more true to the NES style and easier to play in that regard. I still use the GC version with the opposite controls. It's annoying but something you can get used to.

This is indeed true. It does take some time getting used to it. Regardless, its no reason why nobody should get it.

Nicholas Steel
05-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Wii is like the easiest thing to run homebrew on these days. http://hbc.hackmii.com/ Very easy to do yourself. From there, there's another hack you can do to run Wii isos off an external USB hard drive, which is pretty sweet. Also, the NES, SNES, and Sega homebrew emulators are often better than the emulators included with the classic game downloads you pay for. Wii is pretty sweet if you feel like throwing that setup together, I think it's worth it anyway.

Also, I'd recommend No More Heroes, No More Heroes 2, New SMB Wii, and Smash Bros Brawl if you feel like checking those out. Those were the games I had the most fun with.

Can't install HBC on my Wii which now features the latest firmware, I can install DVDx though o_o. I also never had a good experience getting VC games working, though you can just use HBC and a emulator. The SNES emulators don't fix the shit resolution the SNES games run at though (where as the VC does). SNES runs at 5:4 and expects the TV to correct it to 4:3. LCD TV's can and do display the resolution correctly but usually with massive display lag as LCD displays and upscaler chips etc. aren't designed for such resolutions.

Cloral
05-12-2010, 06:41 PM
I will also look into this too. I will only have a wii for a console so if this is something for another system then this alterative wouldn't work for me

360 and PS3 only. Sorry.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo doesn't want these sorts of compilations released on the Wii, as they would be competition for the VC service.

MottZilla
05-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Just be aware that the VC is an expensive way of playing old games that is no better and often inferior to the PC counterparts. If you have a newer TV like an HDTV they often have PC VGA monitor ports on them. You could easily hookup your PC to it, get a nice gamepad or adapter for a console gamepad like PS2, and use PC emulators for a much better experience than VC. But it's up to you. One thing you'll likely look into is Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10. There is also some kind of Contra Rebirth or something for Wii and I think some Final Fantasy 4 game as well.

Nicholas Steel
05-13-2010, 02:19 AM
It's best to hook a TV up with HDMI and Spdif from your computer so the sound comes from where you would expect it (unless your wearing headphones which renders this point useless).

Master Ghaleon
05-18-2010, 02:51 PM
I made the purchase a few days ago. I put my friend code in the "Wii number exchange" thread. Right now the only games I got for it are the ones that it came with, Wii sports and Wii Resort. Well other then a few games I got from the VC.

Yapollo
05-18-2010, 11:08 PM
Well, congratulations.

I don't know anything about Homebrew...but as for games...

The Legend of Zelda, Twilight Princess: Zelda + Wii = Great game
Super Mario Galaxy: Great platformer and visuals (for Mario)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Besides providing a ton of reply value, there are tons of guys aroung the forum who would Brawl you if you asked.
Super Paper Mario: The replay value is weak, but it is a great single player experience.
Mario Kart Wii (If you like racing): Like Brawl, there is a high replay value, and people on the forums to race.

This is a good basic list....I guess.

Master Ghaleon
05-19-2010, 01:12 AM
Oh yea, so when I put in a friend code does it send the person something that notifies them that someone is trying to become a friend? Also if you entered a friends wii code and lets say they never registered your wii code, is there a way to get them out of the list? I registered my wii at Club Nintendo also, seems like a good idea

Darth Marsden
05-19-2010, 01:43 AM
I think some Final Fantasy 4 game as well.Final Fantasy 4: The After Years, which is a direct sequel to FFIV (duh) and is a very good port of the Mobile Phone game. Only down side is that you have to buy something like a dozen different 'stories', which can be costly. Stupid money grabbing gits.

Wii games you should try:

Animal Crossing: City Folk (it's a sim, but it's also rather cute)
House of the Dead: Overkill (so OTT it's just hilarious)
Klonoa (an excellent 2.5D platformer)
Mario Kart Wii (duh)
Metroid Prime Trilogy (can be pricey, but is well worth it)
No More Heroes + Desperate Struggle (utterly insane, but great fun)
Sonic Unleashed (way better than the PS360 version)
Super Mario Galaxy 1 + 2 (they're Mario, dammit)
Zach and Wiki (just watch, dammit (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/31-Zack-Wiki))

When it comes to homebrew, it depends on what version of the menu your Wii has. We'll need to know that before we can help you further. Through emails and such. 'cause we're not doing this on AGN, oh no. That'd be wrong. *wink*

Thunderbird
05-19-2010, 03:51 AM
Oh yea, so when I put in a friend code does it send the person something that notifies them that someone is trying to become a friend?
Nope, nothing happens. Probably to try and prevent people from just trying random Wii numbers (with Nintendo's philosophy being that people should have to know each other first before adding each other). However, if you add an email address, an email is sent to that address notifying them of your attempt.

Also if you entered a friends wii code and lets say they never registered your wii code, is there a way to get them out of the list?
Just remove their entry from your address book.

Also, I wouldn't call MP Trilogy pricey...last I checked it was the same price as any other Wii game, which is a bargain considering it's all 3 Prime games on one disc.

Master Ghaleon
05-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Final Fantasy 4: The After Years, which is a direct sequel to FFIV (duh) and is a very good port of the Mobile Phone game. Only down side is that you have to buy something like a dozen different 'stories', which can be costly. Stupid money grabbing gits.

Wii games you should try:

House of the Dead: Overkill (so OTT it's just hilarious)
Mario Kart Wii (duh)

I will be getting these games hopefully sometime this week.

Just remove their entry from your address book.

Ah gotcha, I was doing it from the wrong area :P thanks. If any of you guys are adding me just PM me and I will add you

Darth Marsden
05-20-2010, 02:58 AM
Also, I wouldn't call MP Trilogy pricey...last I checked it was the same price as any other Wii game, which is a bargain considering it's all 3 Prime games on one disc.Huh. Must just be the PAL version then.

Nicholas Steel
05-20-2010, 05:14 AM
It's not pricey at JB here, pricey would be 200$, 50$ for MP1 as well as MP2 and 100$ for MP3.

Darth Marsden
05-20-2010, 06:37 AM
Ok, it is just PAL regions, then.

ctrl-alt-delete
05-22-2010, 06:45 AM
When it comes to homebrew, it depends on what version of the menu your Wii has. We'll need to know that before we can help you further. Through emails and such. 'cause we're not doing this on AGN, oh no. That'd be wrong. *wink*

There is nothing wrong with discussing homebrew, or even piracy for that matter, on AGN. As long as you are not publicly telling people where to get pirated materials, you are not breaking the TOS.

I am probably the worst pirate on the planet. In fact, I just now finished the second world on Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Highly recommend it.

I never really played very far into the first one...fortunately, the sequel stands on its own. I'll probably move onto the first one after completing this one. Too bad it will probably feel like a huge downgrade. :(

Master Ghaleon
05-24-2010, 02:45 PM
I picked up 3 games over the weekend. New Super Mario Bros Wii, Pinball Hall of Fame Williams collection ( I am a pinball junkie) and The House of the Dead Overkill.

Darth Marsden
05-26-2010, 02:09 AM
There is nothing wrong with discussing homebrew, or even piracy for that matter, on AGN. As long as you are not publicly telling people where to get pirated materials, you are not breaking the TOS.Oh. Well. That's me told. Just... didn't want to get kicked out or anything. Excuse me for being cautious. ;)

I've recently got the new Prince of Persia for the Wii. Ironically, despite being part of the Sands of Time series, gameplay-wise it feels much more like the 2008 PoP. It's all one-button combos and automatic wall-running, that sort of stuff. That's not to say it's bad, it's just... weird. Maybe I'll write a review. I've been meaning to do more writing lately.

vegeta1215
05-27-2010, 12:58 PM
I plan to pick up the new PoP next month. I am very excited for it. I don't like how the Prince looks though... so when I find the costume for the Sands of Time Prince model, I might stick with that :)