PDA

View Full Version : Cats

Cloral
04-08-2010, 05:07 PM
How do you keep cats from digging in the mulch in your yard?

Beldaran
04-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Kill them.

Anthus
04-08-2010, 09:54 PM
If they "dig" it is likely the are just burring poop. Cats can also dig instinctively at the ground for no apparent reason. Since it is mulch, they could be associating it with wood, and trying to sharpen their claws. They could also be marking.

Aliem
04-09-2010, 04:44 AM
The only thing I can think of would be to keep the cats inside.

Nicholas Steel
04-09-2010, 05:58 AM
Use a spray can like some toilet smelly spray stuff (Glade20, AmbiPur), spray it near them (not AT them) and they should run away scared of the noise.

Pineconn
04-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Spray can like toilet smelly spray stuff

...Say what, now? :eyebrow:

Brasel
04-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Assuming they aren't your cats, get a dog.

moocow
04-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Target practice. Buy yourself a shot gun. Or you could be a little more humane and get a BB gun.

Cloral
04-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Well the cats do their work while I'm at the office. I come home and find their diggings scattered about. So I can't really employ any tactics like scaring them off. A dog would be about the only thing that could have any effect, except that the dog couldn't do anything about the front yard. And that's the area that concerns me the most, as that's where my drip irrigation is. I'm afraid that sooner or later the cats are going to damage the lines while they're digging.

MottZilla
04-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Who owns the cats? And you could always see if there is some kind of animal control or shelter type place that would come out and try to get them.

But if you want to kill them there are plenty of ways to do that. But you probably would want to be discrete about that.

Anthus
04-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Target practice. Buy yourself a shot gun. Or you could be a little more humane and get a BB gun.

Because not killing them in one shot is so much more humane :p

MottZilla
04-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Anthus, a BB gun refers to more than just the sort of thing you give a kid that propels steel round BBs at reasonably fast velocity by CO2 or something else. Air Rifles which fire pellets which are more like bullets can reach lethal velocity. Some of them can fire relatively large projectiles too. Using a shotgun would be loud, and quite messy. I doubt it would be somehow more humane and don't see why you'd think that would be the case. For small pests an air rifle is good enough. But when you get to things like raccoons and cats you may want to use a more powerful weapon.

By the way, Target practice and shotgun don't really go together. You don't have to be a very good shot with a shotgun which is part of the whole point.

Modus Ponens
04-11-2010, 05:21 AM
I am amused by the image of Solid Snake giving advice on how to kill housecats. Thanks, Snake. And I bet there are mushrooms I can eat that will recharge my batteries.

moocow
04-11-2010, 11:30 AM
By the way, Target practice and shotgun don't really go together. You don't have to be a very good shot with a shotgun which is part of the whole point.

That's exactly right. Cats move fast though! Moving target. Silly goose.

payton
05-01-2010, 06:00 AM
Bullshit answer why they kill them cats i think Janus is right i really like the cats its so cuteness.For cheap Zhu Zhu pets please see the zhu zhu pets hamster (http://discountedzhuhamsterpets.com/1/zhu-zhu-pets/)*site where you can buy Zhu Zhu hamsters at low prices.

RogerA
05-03-2010, 10:57 PM
If you're sure it's cats and not squirrels or some other creature, try hanging some cheap catnip toys away from where they are digging.

Course who am I to give advice. Squirrels invaded my attic several years ago and I can't get rid of them. Tried amonia, and trapping them, finally tried poison but nothing works. Need a new roof and facia.

Darth Marsden
05-04-2010, 03:13 AM
I'm pretty sure they make a spray or device that repels cats. Oh wait, there's an entire site dedicated to it. (http://www.cat-repellant.info/)

Hopefully there's something there that'll help.

Cloral
05-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks Darth. I'll keep that in mind if they start causing any real damage.