PDA

View Full Version : Personal Favorite Zelda Bosses

Twilight-Prince1002
03-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Probably sure that there have been a few threads like this before (and sorry if this is in the wrong section here), but seeing as how this is a Zelda-based forum, why not discuss something Zelda related?

As the title states, this is a place to discuss your favorite Zelda bosses and why you think they deserve your praise.

For me, my favorite Zelda boss has been and always will be Dark Link (aka Shadow Link). He's fought Link on several occasions and has always been my favorite opponent since I beat him on Zelda 2; The Adventure of Link. I'm glad he keeps showing up in several games.

The reason I think he's my favorite boss is because he's so much like Link himself, only with a few of his own nasty tricks up his sleeve (such as leaping onto Link's sword and chopping his head...dirty cheat!).

So please, discuss some of your favorite Zelda bosses from games past and present.

Anthus
03-29-2010, 08:53 PM
We did have a topic like this some time ago, but I think it was actually from just a few games or something. I always like "List Your Favorite _______." topics. I'll list ones that come to mind.

Legend of Zelda:
My favorite boss from the first game is probably Gleeok. I always like fighting them, and they are generally pretty challenging depending on your location in the game.

Zelda II:
Hmm. Probably Dark Link. I also like the Level 3 boss. The jousting knights. But, Dark Link is probably one of the coolest bosses.

Link to the Past:
I'd have to go with Trinexx. I dunno why, but I always really liked this boss. Kholdstare is a close second.

Ocarina of Time:
Either Volvagia or King Dodongo. Both were awesome.

Majora's Mask:
Twinmold, easily. In fact, he is the only boss I even like in that game. The other three seem kinda.. I dunno, lame.

Wind Waker:
Once again, easily Puppet Ganon. A very nice way of fighting Ganon in his "beast" form. Second and third would be Molgera, and Gohdan.

Minish Cap:
I don't really remember the bosses so much here.. I did like the dragon boss in the mines though. Also, the Gohdan type thing was cool.

Four Sword Adventures:
Ganon. One of the best 2D Ganon fights.

Twilight Princess:
Agorock was neat. Probably the best boss in the game. They were all pretty interesting and fun, but so damn easy. They were over too quick :/. Also, even though it is not a boss, I really like the Darknuts in this game. They have to be the best Darknuts in the series. OoT's Iron Knuckles are cool too, but these guys win.

Phantom Hourglass (Gasp!):
I liked the battle where you fought the two dragons. I forget where, or when it was but I think it is later in the game.

Best Final Boss:
I like the ending sequences from both OoT, and TWW a lot. TP's was good, but I wish they had done more with the Ganon fight. It was reminiscent of his old "appear and reappear" tactics though, which was nice. If I had to pick a favorite ending, Puppet Ganon wins out, so TWW had the best final boss IMO.

I left some out, because I don't really remember the bosses, or have a favorite.

mrz84
04-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Fav bosses?

Zelda I: Dodongo. Cause bombs are fun.
Zelda II: Dark Link. 1st time I ever palyed the game I got freaked out when he appeared.
Link to the Past: A tough one. I'd say either the Giant Eyeball or Agahnim (sp?) because both are fun no matter how many times I fight them.
Link's Awakening: I haven't played thhrough the whole game to date still so I can only say the 1st dungeon boss. Maybe I'll play that game next...
Zelda 64: Hands down it has to be Ganon.
Majora's Mask: The Goron dungeon boss (the mecha-bull)
Wind Waker: Phantom Ganon. Handing him his ass with his own sword is fun.

That's it until I finally get around to playing Twilight Princess

Cloral
04-01-2010, 05:12 PM
I don't really like Dark Link in Zelda 2, because you can beat him so cheaply. It also felt weird as a last boss. I mean, Gannon shows up every time you get game over, yet at the end of the game he's nowhere to be found. What's the deal with that?

edit:
Never-mind, just read the Wiki entry for Zelda 2 which explained it. Still they would've done well to explain that within the game itself. It kinda reminds me of the last boss of FF9 which felt completely random within the game and required outside explanation.

Anthus
04-01-2010, 08:53 PM
^ I think that aspect of the story was covered in the game's manual.

Nicholas Steel
04-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Wind Waker: Phantom Ganon and then Ganon.

Phantom Ganon because it is probably one of few actual challenges in the Zelda series (without exploiting game mechanics) and Ganon because the mood is just epic ._.

Aliem
04-02-2010, 01:37 AM
For presentation, Phantom Ganon from OoT. You walk around the arena, there's nothing there, so you try to walk out and the gates shut. You hear a horse, turn around, and bam, Ganondorf. Then he pulls a fucking Houdini and his face disappears with the wave of a hand. The actual fight was kind of lame, though. For the actual fight, I'd go with Agahnim from LttP. I enjoyed that fight.

Din
04-02-2010, 02:09 AM
Hm, this is a tough one. I haven't played many 3D console Zeldas (with the exception of OoT). I'd have to say that one of my favorites was, oddly enough, Ganon in the Oracle games. Compared to Link to the Past and Zelda 1, that fight was pretty epic. Of course, my favorite is easily Ganon of OoT. There's just something so satisfying in shooting Ganon in the face with a Light Arrow.

Yeah, I like Ganon battles.

rock_nog
04-04-2010, 12:09 AM
How do you pick a favorite? I mean, one of the best things about the franchise is that every boss battle feels like a reward for solving the dungeon, even if it is a challenge. They're always epic, and that just adds to the thrill of trying to figure out how to beat them, and then when you do figure it out, you really feel like you've accomplished something. As a result, I always love a good boss fight, so I can't really pick a favorite, but I can name some particularly memorable ones. For instance, I loved Agahnim from LTTP, because the way of beating him was just so unique - and as a result, I friggin' loved Ganondorf in OoT - I remember when I got to him, and I was like "Hey, wait a minute, this seems familiar!" So awesome, because it was nostalgic, but they added a new twist, too. Another one that I really loved was the dragon in TP - man, that was just so epic and cinematic. And of course, there's Dodongo - it was the first real twist boss I had ever encountered back in the original Zelda, what with him being basically invincible to anything except eating bombs. That really stood out to me, and so of course, when they brought him back in OoT, I was just totally blown away.

DarkDragon
04-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Fav bosses?

Link's Awakening: I haven't played thhrough the whole game to date still so I can only say the 1st dungeon boss. Maybe I'll play that game next...

Definitely do so... Link's Awakening is an underrated gem of a game, probably my second-favorite 2D Zelda title behind LttP.

Twilight-Prince1002
04-06-2010, 12:43 AM
I almost forgot some bosses I found quite nice. For one, I did like the first seven bosses in Oracle of Seasons, since they were revamped versions of the original NES Zelda's bosses, which is both good for nostalgia and fun...though the revamped Digdogger was a real pain the first time...wasn't used to the Magnetic Gloves.

Also, if I wanna say stuff for challenging bosses, I actually have to give a good nod to some of Spirit Track's bosses...I'll put it this way...the final boss nearly made me rip my hair out during his first phase. Skeldritch also gave me a good run for my Rupees.

*b*
04-15-2010, 01:00 AM
Ganon in FSA was quite awesome, I have to agree. But I think my favorite boss in any Zelda game was Gohdan in Wind Waker. Just something about the battle was so fun. Also, Twinrova in Ocarina of Time was pretty badass, having to use the mirror shield to waste the sisters and their.. oddly sexy combination.

Orion
04-15-2010, 12:15 PM
My favorite, I think, was Ganon in Wind Waker... not the puppet, but the one where you had the fun little sword duel. And not that their bosses, persay, but mini-bosses, but I also like the Iron Knuckles from OoT and the Darknuts from WW and TP.

Definitely do so... Link's Awakening is an underrated gem of a game, probably my second-favorite 2D Zelda title behind LttP.

It definitely one of my favorite games in terms of story depth, it's right up there with Majora's Mask in that category, which is impressive, considering it's a Game Boy game.