PDA

View Full Version : crash entering tiles, every time

Freedom
03-25-2010, 10:13 AM
It's crashing in the 1204 trying to enter the tile page every time for me, worked great up until last night.

This is a new tileset I'm building with very few tiles so far

Edit
This is only happening with my tileset, others I can enter, and putting mine back in the 1200 allows me to open it again
Edit,
another update on this.
The tilepage opens in windowed mode, but crashes in fullscreen
edit
I take it back, it crashes in windowed too

Jman, am sending you a PM with the user dump addy

log file....

ZQuest v2.11 Beta (Build 18)
Allocating tunes buffer (16.00k/16.00k)... OK
Allocating map buffer (1.11M/1.12M)... OK
Allocating combo buffer (5.98k/1.13M)... OK
Allocating string buffer (10.62M/11.76M)... OK
Allocating door combo buffer (159.50k/11.91M)... OK
Allocating dmap buffer (234.00k/12.14M)... OK
Allocating combo buffer (1.62M/13.76M)... OK
Allocating color data buffer (314.11k/14.07M)... OK
Allocating tile buffer (511.88k/22.56M)... OK
Allocating tile grab buffer (511.88k/31.06M)... OK
Allocating trash buffer (97.66k/31.16M)... OK
Allocating item buffer (31.00k/31.19M)... OK
Allocating weapon buffer (2.50k/31.19M)... OK
Allocating guy buffer (28.00k/31.22M)... OK
Allocating combo class buffer (32.17k/31.25M)... OK
Allocating combo undo buffer (1.62M/32.87M)... OK
Allocating new undo tile buffer (511.88k/33.37M)... OK
Resetting new tile buffer...OK
Allocating file path buffers (14.00k/33.38M)... OK
Initializing Allegro... OK
Loading data files:
Fonts.Dat...OK
ZQuest.Dat...OK
QST.Dat...OK
SFX.Dat...OK
OK
Initializing sound driver... OK
gfx mode set at -1 8bpp 800 x 600
Loading Quest...

Decrypting...okay.
Opening...okay.
Reading Header...okay.
Made in ZQuest 211 Beta 18
Reading Rules...okay.
Reading Strings...okay.
Reading Doors...okay.
Reading DMaps...okay.
Reading Misc. Data...okay.
Reading Misc. Colors...okay.
Reading Game Icons...okay.
Reading Items...okay.
Reading Weapons...okay.
Reading Maps...okay.
Reading Combos...okay.
Reading Combo Aliases...okay.
Reading Color Data...okay.
Reading Tiles...okay.
Reading Tunes...okay.
Reading Cheat Codes...okay.
Reading Init. Data...okay.
Reading Custom Guy Data...okay.
Reading Custom Link Sprite Data...okay.
Reading Custom Subscreen Data...okay.
Reading FF Script Data...okay.
Reading SFX Data...okay.
Reading Item Drop Sets...okay.
Done.
Loading Quest...

Decrypting...okay.
Opening...okay.
Reading Header...okay.
Made in ZQuest 211 Beta 18
Reading Rules...okay.
Reading Strings...okay.
Reading Doors...okay.
Reading DMaps...okay.
Reading Misc. Data...okay.
Reading Misc. Colors...okay.
Reading Game Icons...okay.
Reading Items...okay.
Reading Weapons...okay.
Reading Maps...okay.
Reading Combos...okay.
Reading Combo Aliases...okay.
Reading Color Data...okay.
Reading Tiles...okay.
Reading Tunes...okay.
Reading Cheat Codes...okay.
Reading Init. Data...okay.
Reading Custom Guy Data...okay.
Reading Custom Link Sprite Data...okay.
Reading Custom Subscreen Data...okay.
Reading FF Script Data...okay.
Reading SFX Data...okay.
Reading Item Drop Sets...okay.
Done.

Freedom
04-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Jman... You die?

BUMP

This is a bad one.

Gleeok
04-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Moved to critical bugs.

Also I can take a look at this now if you want to direct me to a quest file that will crash upon entering the tiles page.

Freedom
04-12-2010, 11:37 PM
I didn't upload a quest file, I sent Jman a user dump.

A slight correction to the "every time"

Once it starts crashing it crashes every time, and then even starts crashing when opening a combo page.
I believe it may be somehow related to 8 bit tiles, as it seems to start crashing more once you have converted and worked on some.
I haven't done any of those in a week or so and it hasn't been crashing, but before that I was getting a dozen crashes a day.

I believe if you just open a quest file, and play with importing, changing to 8 bit, and editing, you will soon find the crash.

Gleeok
04-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Well I tried with the Grikarugun tileset which is mostly 8-bit and didn't get it to crash so...

Is it an 8-bit leeching or importing problem? Does it crash without doing any of that?

Freedom
04-15-2010, 09:52 AM
I never "leech" anything, so it wouldn't be that.
may not even be 8 bit related, hell I don't know

jman2050
04-17-2010, 05:22 PM
I haven't been able to reproduce this bug at all. Freedom, the only way I can see to nail down what's going on is to find an exact sequence of events that leads to a crash that is not only recognizable but also repeatable. We like to say that a crash is "random" but truth is there absolutely is no such thing and there is always an underlying cause. As I mentioned in the other thread, the user.dmp you sent indicates to me that the crash is occurring somewhere outside of ZC, making me suspect Allegro as the most likely culprit. If I had a way to actually reproduce this crash that didn't involve doing random stuff in ZQuest hoping for a shot in the dark, this could get resolved a lot sooner.

I cannot fix what I cannot observe, try to understand this.

Freedom
04-17-2010, 07:11 PM
I cannot fix what I cannot observe, try to understand this.

I have no problem understanding that, but hadn't heard anything from you about it for over 3 weeks, so had no reason to believe you were even looking at it.

Since this is happening on both of my machines then I have no doubt it will surface again with others.
I've tried to point out to the best of my knowledge what I had been doing at the time with the 8 bit tiles and all, sent the user dmp and posted the log, and really don't know what else if anything I can add to that.
I really don't understand why clicking on tiles and crashing would be related to some outside source but I guess shit happens.

One thing that both of my computers have in common is Paint Shop Pro, I have noticed that the 1200 and the 1204 will close it with an error message when doing screenshots in Zquest if PSP is open at the same time, and this is a new problem, I've had PSP probably even longer than Zelda Classic and this has never been an issue before.
But I also know that it wasn't open during these crashes.

So I guess Zelda Classic is just more unstable than it ever was and now it's going to start effecting other programs on my system as a result.

Joe123
04-17-2010, 07:55 PM
I really don't understand why clicking on tiles and crashing would be related to some outside source but I guess shit happens.Allegro is the graphics library used by ZC - all of the drawing and bitmap storing functions therefore come from allegro.

Do you know the last build where that didn't happen with PSP?

Freedom
04-17-2010, 08:36 PM
no, I sure don't

Gleeok
04-18-2010, 02:26 AM
For all we know Paint Shop Pro has a bug where it cannot co-exist with another directx7 app that needs to read or write some video ram or something. This doesn't make much sense to me but meh...

Anyways the more crash happy the bug, the easier it is to locate when it happens. Unfortunately it only seems to be fond of you right now.

..Maybe Freedom needs his own special needs zquest.exe. XD ..Would a static-linked debug build provide a trace stack and location pointers for code that we could use? ...(I honestly don't know)

Saffith
04-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Might be worth a try. Sure makes things easier in Valgrind.

Freedom
04-18-2010, 09:39 AM
been running PSP since 98 without problems, if one program or the other has to come off my computer, it's bye bye ZC.
Started out with PSP 5 and moved it up to PSP7 around 2007, for a while had both 5 and 7 on.
never had a problem until the 1200
personally I don't think it's related.

You guys seem to have no idea how buggy ZC really is.
I think it's beyond repair at this point.
crashes going in to tiles, crashes going into combos, can't see layer one screens, doorways showing up in preview mode on the screen next to the one you are working on. that don't exist, when you trigger secrets....
I mean we're talking weird shit.
and then you guys seem to want to blame it on anything other than what it is..... if we get any response to bug reports at all.
good luck with that...
I've got a Harley and beautiful weather here, believe me, I can find other things to do too.
It's going to take a concerted effort on the part of the developers to fix, finish, and undo the damage the L did to this program and it's fanbase, by adding too much way to quick, until that time comes there is little any of the rest of us can do.
Ball is in your court, I'm goin ridin' ;O)

jman2050
04-18-2010, 03:50 PM
been running PSP since 98 without problems, if one program or the other has to come off my computer, it's bye bye ZC.
Started out with PSP 5 and moved it up to PSP7 around 2007, for a while had both 5 and 7 on.
never had a problem until the 1200
personally I don't think it's related.

You guys seem to have no idea how buggy ZC really is.

You've been helping quite a bit with your bug reports. We're not omniscient and we aren't capable of testing every possible action people can take when using the program. THat's why public beta testing was instituted in the first place.

I think it's beyond repair at this point.

Forgive me if I don't consider you qualified to make that statement, given that you seemingly have never programmed before.

crashes going in to tiles, crashes going into combos,

As I said in this very thread, we cannot fix what we can't observe. Make an attempt to find a repeatable and consistent method for triggering these crashes and we'll be able to do something. As it is, we're basically shooting in the dark.

can't see layer one screens, doorways showing up in preview mode on the screen next to the one you are working on. that don't exist, when you trigger secrets....

If you're only going to be satisfied with a 100% bug-free program then I suggest you stop using your computer now. As is, that is all stuff we can fix.

I mean we're talking weird shit.

Weird but deterministic. There's always an underlying cause and the problem 99% of the time is identifying said cause.

and then you guys seem to want to blame it on anything other than what it is..... if we get any response to bug reports at all.

I don't recall anyone of us saying anything other than the code being a gigantic mess that is difficult to work with, perpetuated further by my and others attempts to work with the existing code in a way that doesn't break anything. So I don't have any idea what you mean by this statement.

good luck with that...
I've got a Harley and beautiful weather here, believe me, I can find other things to do too.

No one is stopping you.

It's going to take a concerted effort on the part of the developers to fix, finish, and undo the damage the L did to this program and it's fanbase, by adding too much way to quick, until that time comes there is little any of the rest of us can do.

Your continued insistence that this is all L's fault is not only wrong but ridiculously petty to be honest. If you can't take a reasonable approach to criticism then don't say anything.

Ball is in your court, I'm goin ridin' ;O)

I normally respect your continued second-guessing but this post in particular was really quite uncalled for, and I suggest in the future you attempt to analyze your thoughts and determine whether what you plan to say is accurate, reasonable, and qualified with facts rather than overly emotional reactions to situations that you have little control over.

If you don't want to take the initiative to at least attempt to figure out a way to help with finding this bug then you aren't qualified to complain about how our efforts to track down a seemingly "random" bug is not good enough. End of story.

Freedom
04-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Jman, I sent you a user dmp, a log file, told you exactly what the fuck I was doing when the crashes occurred and you sat on your ass and didn't even respond for over three weeks.
You're the one not taking any initiative.
My assessment of the situation was right on the money.

Test and fix it yer damn self. you've done so well in the past, after all it's only been.... what 6 years since something stable.