PDA

View Full Version : You rage you lose.

Anthus
03-24-2010, 08:51 PM
http://us.playstation.com/ps3/playstation-move/index.htm

I couldn't stop laughing.

Yeah, because people who buy a PS3 REALLY want to play some waggle games. That is why they bought a PS3. Good job Sony. No one does it like you guys. The shameless ripping off I mean.

EDIT:

PlayStation®Move games line up includes creative and imaginative games for kids, dynamic and engaging experiences for the core gamer, and active sports and party titles for the entire family. With the most diverse and innovative games imagined, there's an exciting title for everyone. Get moving with these featured titles:

Okay, okay.. Now try this:

Nintendo Wii games line up includes creative and imaginative games for kids, dynamic and engaging experiences for the core gamer, and active sports and party titles for the entire family. With the most diverse and innovative games imagined, there's an exciting title for everyone. Get moving with these featured titles:

MottZilla
03-25-2010, 12:44 AM
That is pretty funny, but then again we all know Sony is just following the money.

bigjoe
03-25-2010, 06:49 AM
That looks like some sort of bizarre sex toy...

Oh, and for the lulz:

http://webassets.scea.com/ucm/groups/public/documents/webasset/motion_controller_man.png

Cloral
03-25-2010, 01:58 PM
I want to see how this works out. But the one thing that really did make me laugh was when one of the Sony reps claimed that the Move was "infinitely better" than the motion control on any other console. Sony used the phrase "infinitely better" once before: when comparing Home to the online offerings of the other consoles. And I think we all know how that one worked out.

Orion
03-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Borrowing the idea for Sixaxis wasn't enough, they actually had to rip off the controller design, too. It's nice that they'll have it, they might get some crappy Wii ports now (ick), but I can't see the PS3 audience really salivating over this. Motion controls really don't do it for me on the Wii, either, but I deal with it for the Nintendo-developed titles. I guess it's not that they copied the Wiimote that bugs me, who cares, but it's the fact that they are boasting about it.

At least Microsoft had the decency to do something a bit more creative and original -- I'm very curious about Natal.

MottZilla
03-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Really? Natal looks like total garbage. The worst of all non-standard controls yet to be shit out of game companies looking for some more bucks.

I just think it'll be interesting to see these motion controls mixed with a system that actually has some processing and graphical power. Ofcourse I'll still pass on it cause I don't like motion controls anyway.

AtmaWeapon
03-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Here's how I stand, I'm trying to level up my prophesying skills.

Wii's motion controls are useless. They were the first, it was innovative, but I think they rushed it out the door and tried to release a little too early. Evidence? Wii MotionPlus. I really thought this could add another dimension to games, and I still think it hasn't been properly explored. But the industry is full of complaints that Nintendo is not very accomodating to third parties and their hardware is last-gen. "Porting" a game to the Wii usually involves creating an entirely different game (Ghostbusters, Dead Space, etc.) because the hardware just can't deliver the experience. When a game is ported (I think MW2 was ported) it looks awful, kind of like how PS2 used to look compared to GCN. So let's see. Nintendo doesn't provide a good environment for third parties. The hardware is so different from the other consoles that developing a game for the Wii is a separate effort. And there's less buttons on the controller. All of this stinks of failure to understand the market. On the other hand, casual party games are a perfect fit for the Wii, and Nintendo has done well exploiting their family-friendly reputation to position themselves as the king of the casual gaming market.

Project Natal. Hmm. I see potential. But not "I do jumping jacks while playing BioShock" potential; what I'm seeing are games you play with hand gestures. Remember in Metroid Prime how cool it looked when you had the X-Ray visor on and you could see Samus's hands making gestures to switch weapons? I'm thinking something like that *could* be neat. But we've got a problem: buttons. Imagine playing Metroid Prime with Natal. So you've got cool hand gesture weapon selection. The other hand could lock/shoot. We've still got forward and backward movement, turning, strafing, and jumping to handle. Hmm. Not good. The problem is I keep fixating on "How would I play X with Natal?" when the type of game it will be good for probably hasn't been made yet. Of course, casual mini-games have a lot of potential, but I'm not buying the notion of 4-player co-op. I've got about 20 square feet of viable room for movement in my living room, and it's 3 feet from the camera. I may as well play Twister. (Idea!) Even if it's just a gimmick for fast weapon selection or menu browsing, it might be worth it if done right. My guess? It's going to be positioned like Nintendo has positioned the Wii. People like us won't touch it. It won't make a dent in the Wii, because soccer moms won't see a need to buy another $200 video game system and a $?? add-on to play what they can already play on the Wii.

Out of all the motion controller solutions, Move is the most viable for real gameplay. It supposedly handles as well if not better than the Wii. As far as I can tell, you don't lose many buttons. You won't get hand gestures out of it, but I can still see potential for some things. In BioShock 2, I spent a ton of time doing melee attacks; it might have been satisfying to do so with a swing of my arm. Still, that can get fatiguing. It's not uncommon for a game these days to have a player pick up items and manipulate them; the Move opens up some doors for new avenues down here. I'm sure PS3 will see its share of casual mini-games as well, but again I don't see it being a big threat to Nintendo due to pricing. A $300 console with a $100 motion add-on? Yeah, granny's going to see the need for that. Space is also an issue; I don't know where the devil I'd put the camera in my current setup and I sure don't have room to jump around. I'm not certain if they'll find a use for more mainstream games, but I'd put money on the Move before Natal.

The biggest problem I see with all three solutions for mainstream games is we're really used to a controller paradigm. I'm really trying to be creative and think of ways that some of the games I've played recently could be enhanced by motion controls, but short of gimmicky QTEs that I wouldn't even like I just don't see it. I don't think MS or Sony really believes they're going to get their solution into mainstream games. I think what we're seeing here is defensive positioning against Nintendo's casual gaming crown. It's not wise to let a competitor own 100% of any market. Right now, if mainstream gaming crashes (and it does look somewhat precarious at times), Nintendo's the only company with a parachute. Not good.

Nicholas Steel
03-27-2010, 04:27 AM
Nintendo just needs to make the classic controller conform to a slightly thicker (same design/shape/mold) with motion control. Games will improve drastically and not have retarded hand motions/twitching/flicking.

Thunderbird
03-27-2010, 06:25 AM
Nintendo just needs to make the classic controller conform to a slightly thicker (same design/shape/mold) with motion control. Games will improve drastically and not have retarded hand motions/twitching/flicking.

Honestly, I'd rather have the Classic Controller as it is. None of the PS3 games that I have make use of motion control that well (the Ratchet and Clank games do it best, but there's still room for improvement...A LOT of it). Natal...Microsoft expects people to play without a controller at all? Granted, it's kinda been done with the EyeToy already. Maybe I don't know enough about Natal. As for Sony's motion controller...$100 for just one controller? Am I reading this right? And people complain about Nintendo overcharging for accessories.

Cloral
03-27-2010, 01:24 PM
One of my co-workers recently got to try out Natal for a racing game and he said that it actually worked really well for it, using your arms to steer and your foot to press the gas. But as you said, I have no clue how a game like Halo would work on it.

I think the types of games that would work best on Natal are:

Mini game compilations
Strategy and RTS games
RPGs
Driving games
Social/networking games

And games that would probably work well on the Move:

Mini game compilations
FPSs
Strategy and RTS games
Runway traffic controller simulation