PDA

View Full Version : GUI Update Bug

Plissken
03-20-2010, 01:16 AM
This has been around forever but I'm now reporting on it cause I've had enough of using ZQ and ZC in Windows 7 (or Vista's) 'basic mode'. I'm sure many of you are familiar with how whenever you open ZQ or ZC it turns off all the transparencies and switches away from the nice Aero theme.

You can force Aero by either changing some RegEdit values, or by running the built in troubleshooter (on 7). But, the problem is, is that whenever you change the theme while ZQ or ZC is running the whole program doesn't 'update' itself until you move around the window. So, say you force Aero and then go back into ZQ, you click on a tile but it does nothing. When you move the window around it'll update itself and you now see that it has selected the tile.

I hope the devs can look into making ZQ compatible with 7s and Vista's transparencies, because I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out a way to avoid the insanely ugly 'Basic Mode'.

EDIT: I realize this really isn't vital, and probably not fixable. I'm not positive on how most programs work with the new Window's transparencies but some don't, simply pointing out this annoyance in hopes for maybe an explanation on why this would or would not be possible.

Nicholas Steel
03-20-2010, 01:49 AM
Solution: Live without transparency while using the game/editor or face the bugs that come with forcing it into a mode not normally available to the user.

Plissken
03-20-2010, 01:56 AM
Yes...thanks for that...useful post!

The main thing I was wondering is why this occurs. What causes a few programs to not be compatible, and I thought maybe the devs might know since they're among the few who have a program not compatible. I was thinking it might use a basic function windows provides that wasn't updated to work with Aero or something. Also, after fiddling with it I've found a way past this update bug, this is very weird but if I grab the window and sweep it down and to the right a bit and then slowly move the arrow down into the menu buttons and click after maybe 2 seconds (while still moving it), the program seems to jolt back into life. So, I guess I now can use it in Aero, it's just kinda a pain to get it working.

Nicholas Steel
03-20-2010, 03:52 AM
I'm pretty sure it's just a simple flag or some such they need to set in the source code to get it recognized as a modern piece of software instead of legacy. Weather they know how to implement it though, that's another story.

Saffith
03-27-2010, 06:54 PM
It's a limitation in Windows. Transparent frames aren't supported on windows that use less than 32-bit color.

Joe123
04-06-2010, 03:00 PM
So Limbo would be a good place for it to go?

Saffith
04-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Pretty much, yeah.