PDA

View Full Version : crashes in player

Freedom
03-05-2010, 03:33 PM
getting some random crashes in the player, both Elise and myself.
I know this post isn't a lot of help, but who can say when, why, or where it's going to happen

I hope to release SwanSong ~ Genesis in the next couple of weeks, I intend it to be my last release and hope there is a decent player for folks to play it in.
The player is also erasing save files from time to time, others have reported this too on Elises's board

Gleeok
03-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Try 1194... ( I know I know..I'm working on it.. :\ )

Any way to narrow down the crash if it still is happening?

Nicholas Steel
03-06-2010, 12:52 AM
Devs really need a way to log every "user action" performed in Zquest so that reliable reproduction tests can be performed. Not memory traces or tracking the mouse courser location etc., but things like opening dialogs, manipulating data within dialogs, placing tiles on a screen, editing tiles, selecting tile to place on a screen, etc. and to write to the log file as the program is running, so the last event before the crash is recorded.

Gleeok
03-06-2010, 02:14 AM
Nah, we just need to re-write the whole thing. It's waaaay beyond the point of exception handling in any sort of sane way. ...(I wanted to word that so 'in' and 'sane' were next to each other. Couldn't figure it out.) :P

Nicholas Steel
03-06-2010, 02:39 AM
lol I was thinking that, maybe when a rewrite happens, have debugging/exception handling be some of the key features as that will surely help the development/beta test processes for blatantly obvious reasons.

Anyways a rewrite wont be happening until at least 2.5 is out and even then maybe not until all the current features are finished for 3.0 or whatever the next version is.

Gleeok
03-06-2010, 03:49 AM
Heh..

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/Tiamat_AD/motivator.jpg

^_^

jman2050
03-12-2010, 04:14 AM
Exception handling?

In this code base?

Surely you jest :(

Gleeok
03-12-2010, 05:00 AM
Yeah, that was the point. ;)

Nicholas Steel
03-12-2010, 12:49 PM
By the way, "random crashes in zelda-w.exe" + "zelda-w.exe only writing save games to HDD upon exit" doesn't really make the experience very inviting as no matter how often you save, unless you exit the program each time and it doesn't crash when doing so, you will lose your progress.

I see that Zquest can save quest files without having to close the program to have it write the new contents to the HDD, why can't savegames be updated whenever you peerform a save in the player?

_L_
03-13-2010, 06:09 AM
OK, I'll make that happen.

EDIT: I just checked the code and it does save the file every time you choose "SAVE" from a menu. Huh?

Nicholas Steel
03-13-2010, 06:33 AM
OK, I'll make that happen.

EDIT: I just checked the code and it does save the file every time you choose "SAVE" from a menu. Huh?
Must have been a recent change then :/ Either I wasn't paying enough attention to things or it just wasn't a documented change.

Nicholas Steel
03-17-2010, 04:01 AM
Yeah confirmed it saves when you tell it to, a cool change from what it once was. I tested by saving then using Task Manager to end the game prematurely.

Joe123
04-08-2010, 05:21 AM
So are people still having issues with this or not?