PDA

View Full Version : Mega Man 10

Pineconn
03-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Just bought it a bit ago. Powered through Sheep Man and Pump Man's stages, which weren't too bad. I'm having "fun" with Solar Man's miniboss. So far, the overall design seems to be better than Mega Man 9, though I was a bit disappointed with the ease of Pump Man's stage... I dunno, I took the top path on that one... maybe the bottom path is harder.

Btw, don't do Easy Mode. Normal seems to be good so far.

Thunderbird
03-02-2010, 04:34 AM
I'm waiting for it to appear on PSN (it wasn't there when I looked this morning), as I don't really care for the Wii's online shop if I have a choice in the matter.

AtmaWeapon
03-02-2010, 12:03 PM
No achievements = no money. Maybe if Nintendo gets out of their world where everything has to be unicorns that piss rainbows and fart cinnamon I'll be interested in their system again. It's like they forget that nerds like to brag about their accomplishments. Apparently nerds don't have enough money anyway.

I'm not sure if I'll get it anyway. I've never really been good or patient with Mega Man games, and I'm sure there's going to be some achievement like "beat the entire game without taking any damage" that just sits there as the reason I can't 100% the game forever. In some ways, I'm ragequitting before playing the game I guess.

Cloral
03-02-2010, 03:06 PM
I'll pick this up once it appears on XBLA. I've got some spare points sitting in my account since picking up Shadow Complex. And I really liked MM9.

MottZilla
03-02-2010, 04:23 PM
I'll either pick it up for 360 or PS3 if I ever get one of those. I'd prefer the PS3 just for the D-Pad/Controller. But it's not an option right now. Also I had no idea that MM10 was so near release. Seems like just a little while ago it was announced in Nintendo Power.

Thunderbird
03-02-2010, 10:35 PM
MM9 for the Wii (and probably PS3, since I don't think trophies existed at the time of its release) had a bunch of internal challenges. I wouldn't be surprised if 10 did the same thing on the Wii.

Nicholas Steel
03-03-2010, 02:34 AM
MM9 for the Wii (and probably PS3, since I don't think trophies existed at the time of its release) had a bunch of internal challenges. I wouldn't be surprised if 10 did the same thing on the Wii.
Exactly, how hard is it to get a 20$ camera, take a picture, upload it and bam, share it with your friends. Essentially replicating the trophy system and the increases to your ePenis size.

AtmaWeapon
03-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Hard enough that Nintendo Power had to have extensive instructions about how to do it. Stabilize, low light, no flash works, but you also have to worry about shutter speed lest you only catch half the screen lit up. I refuse to believe that maintaining a big list of links to a ton of images is more convenient than "Check out my Live profile!" There's a bunch of other benefits to an online identity system but it's really a threadjack if I go any further. Suffice to say that Nintendo's attempts to keep online interaction sterile makes their games with online functionality excellent case studies in poor usability.

I'm on the fence when it hits Live. I always meant to play MM9 and didn't. I know at the very least I'll enjoy the music in MM 10. I just have this bad habit of buying games that I know I won't enjoy because I feel like all the cool kids are playing that game and I'm getting too old for that. I still haven't touched AC II and I got it preordered; too many other games to play!

Nicholas Steel
03-04-2010, 12:40 AM
Hard enough that Nintendo Power had to have extensive instructions about how to do it. Stabilize, low light, no flash works, but you also have to worry about shutter speed lest you only catch half the screen lit up.
Uh, set your Wii to progressive scan and get a LCD screen, no need for any oof the other stuff unless you want a pristine picture, chances of only getting a picture of half a image is pretty hard and there is also Youtube to depend on.

But anyways, imma finally update my Wiis shop channel so I can get demos and stuff.

MottZilla
03-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Uh, set your Wii to progressive scan and get a LCD screen, no need for any oof the other stuff unless you want a pristine picture, chances of only getting a picture of half a image is pretty hard and there is also Youtube to depend on.

But anyways, imma finally update my Wiis shop channel so I can get demos and stuff.

He was clearly talking about CRTs. Not everyone can just "get a LCD screen" you know. Next the behavior of "half" the screen is an issue with CRTs, not LCDs. So it's impossible, not "pretty hard". Next what does youtube have to do with him proving his e-penis size? Really the system of "achievements" in games is a neat freebie thing that people do enjoy. Nintendo could implement this, even without adding any online communication aspect to it seeing how they are terrified of online communication.

rock_nog
03-05-2010, 09:16 PM
When did achievements become such a big deal? I never really got them - though they've been kind of thrust upon me ever since Valve and Quake Live started implementing them. I mean, I guess they're kind of fun to unlock, as a way of noting that you did something particularly cool which you may have missed in the heat of battle, but I've never really looked at them unless I've been notified that I got them. And it's certainly not anything that I'd think about if they weren't already in the games I play. I mean, while it's neat to be alerted that I went on a gauntlet rampage in Quake Live or something like that, it never factors into my initial interest in a game. I never think "Oh, achievements, that's neat," or "No achievements? Lame."

Nicholas Steel
03-05-2010, 10:08 PM
I like how Nintendo did it in the Metroid Prime games, I also don't care much for "showing off" them to other players.

AtmaWeapon
03-06-2010, 02:09 AM
"I don't like it, therefore it's useless" is not a very good argument.

My video game system that was built in the age of the internet can keep track of my achievements online for me. When I'm 500 miles from my home to visit family for Christmas, I can pull up my gamertag and gloat about how I got more achievements than he did. And any of my online friends can do the same thing at any time. I can go look at Mottzilla's profile right now and see what games he's played recently. Usually, based on how many achievements he got I can tell if he liked the game or not. So without even talking to my friends, I can look around and see what games are popular and worth my money. For example, I know my brother plays MW2 and Halo 3 at pretty much the same time every night, because when I'm playing BioShock 2 I can keep tabs on what he's up to. If I'd buy MW2, I could start a game with him *right now*. Some games let you take screenshots and send them to others over XBLA. I'm sure one day we'll send videos to each other. I can voice chat with my brother if I want to; it's like a phone call! If we had webcams, we could video chat.

Or I could go with Nintendo. In their version of the world, the internet is no big deal, definitely not a world-changing invention that's become ubiquitous in their target demographic's life. On my Wii I can... tell how long I played a game yesterday. If I want to see what my friends are doing, first I ask them for their 12-digit code. Then I give them my 12-digit code. Then we enter the codes and respond to the double-opt-in prompt. Now we can send text messages to each other when we start playing games. Or we could just use an IM client, or email. AOL popularized a communication medium more than 15 years ago, and Nintendo's still working on it. If I start playing one of the few games with internet connectivity, I can only tell if my friends are online if we've both entered each others' 12-digit codes. Oh, and the list is limited in some games (Animal Crossing is the worst.) We can't text chat in the game. We can't voice chat in most games. I can't tell what games my friends are playing, and I can't tell if they like them or not. I can't tell what games they've finished. I can't tell when they're online. Nintendo wants me to use a phone or computer to do all of this stuff; you even pointed out I could get something "like" achievements if I use web hosting. Screw that. It's not just stupid, it's completely boneheaded and brain-dead.

It is the year two thousand and ten. The internet has existed for more than 40 years now, and it exploded into ubiquity 15 years ago. The first game console with online connectivity was released 12 years ago by SEGA, though you could also argue that Nintendo had something similar with Satellaview in 1995. (we'll ignore the largely unsuccessful SNES/Genesis modems.) The next console to get it was PS2 in 2001. Then XBox Live opened up in 2002, the first really successful online gaming service for a console. PS3 followed suit. XBox 360 followed suit. Nintendo is the only big 3 manufacturer that has not introduced some kind of online community service; they've been beaten to the punch for more than a decade. Forget that.

If you want to do yoga by yourself or play minigames with friends, Wii's got your fix. If you want to play epic, massive games and share the experience with your friends, you only have a few choices and you can't do the "share with your friends" part. When you *can* connect to the internet, it's only through a sterile portal through which Nintendo will only allow you a minimal amount of expression because you could say a dirty word. Animal Crossing is a godforsaken social game. You are *supposed* to play it with your friends. But setting up your town to accept a friend is a 5-step process that involves a two-way trade of 12-digit codes, and when the friend shows up in your town the total extent of your social interaction is limited to 8 "emotions" of which you can pick 4 to carry with you. Yeah, there's the Wii Speak microphone. I'm the only person I know that has it. I would cream my pants if Animal Crossing were more free and open like Farmville, Webkinz, Club Penguin, and dozens of other social web games that were designed to be played by children. SOMEHOW these companies have solved the problem of profanity and internet trolls without a need to remove every possible form of interaction or self-expression.

There's nothing right, appealing, entertaining, compelling, exciting, or social about Nintendo's internet strategy on the Wii. To defend it is to display dangerous amounts of fanboy loyalty. I have turned my back on Nintendo, and they will have to earn my love again if they want it. My feelings are hurt. I spent years evangelizing for their stupid mistakes. It took ridicule for giving their consoles a chance. In the end, they care not because I'm not an impulsive soccer mom who drinks martinis while Wii bowling and enjoying the only time in her life when she's alone and away from the husband she despises and the children she hates. They practically don't even make their own games anymore. Who makes Metroid? Retro, Tecmo, and any other third party that pays for the license. Who makes Star Fox? Rare handled that, and Nintendo hasn't really produced much since they were out. I wonder how long until a third party makes the DK games? Mario and Zelda are the only franchises left that are sacred, and they've let Capcom make a few Zelda games in the past. No, they are too busy devoting resources to Wii Sports clones to work on the bread and butter.

Nintendo will never be out of business, but I have a feeling in the next generation they will be completely insignificant.

Nicholas Steel
03-06-2010, 02:29 AM
I'm not saying it is useless, just that it is incredibly easy to live without such a luxury. I am for the most part, a single player / co-op casual player. I could not consider my self as an extreme gamer as I rarely finish a game unless it is incredibly well done with both gameplay and/or story. I agree there aren't many adventure type co-op games for the Wii, but other then that, what it does have is pretty fun.

rock_nog
03-06-2010, 04:11 AM
Good God, Atma, grow up. I never even said I don't like achievements. You're grossly misrepresenting my position here. All I said is that I don't really understand them, and so they add nothing as far as I can tell. You're the one displaying fanboyism here, because you're actively defending them. I never said they shouldn't exist or anything like that. I merely asked for clarification on as to why some people see them as so important. Really, I just don't get the whole thing. That is all. I wasn't trying to make a point here. I mainly play PC games, and most of them have incorporated achievements. Whatever, fine, I'm just a rabid Wii fanboy, I don't care. I was simply curious, but apparently questioning the cutting edge of technology is evil, so I retract my question.

Thunderbird
03-06-2010, 04:35 AM
You are *supposed* to play it with your friends. But setting up your town to accept a friend is a 5-step process that involves a two-way trade of 12-digit codes, and when the friend shows up in your town the total extent of your social interaction is limited to 8 "emotions" of which you can pick 4 to carry with you. Yeah, there's the Wii Speak microphone. I'm the only person I know that has it. I would cream my pants if Animal Crossing were more free and open like Farmville, Webkinz, Club Penguin, and dozens of other social web games that were designed to be played by children. SOMEHOW these companies have solved the problem of profanity and internet trolls without a need to remove every possible form of interaction or self-expression.

Um, I've been able to text chat just fine with a keyboard in AC CF...until the keyboard died (it's really annoying to use the text chat with the remote and I don't have another USB keyboard handy). So I'm not sure where you're coming from with this.

I personally don't really care about achievements/trophies. Some of them are fun to go for when games have them, but some get annoying (I'm looking at you, Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time with the trophy for scoring 10k in My Blaster Runs Hot). And for the downloadable games I've gotten over PSN...they all seem to be lacking in the trophy department. The 5 I have with trophies have very few of them (and no Platinum trophy for getting everything).

Pineconn
03-06-2010, 05:03 AM
"There's nothing right, appealing, entertaining, compelling, exciting, or social about Nintendo's internet strategy on the Wii. To defend it is to display dangerous amounts of fanboy loyalty. I have turned my back on Nintendo, and they will have to earn my love again if they want it. My feelings are hurt. I spent years evangelizing for their stupid mistakes. It took ridicule for giving their consoles a chance. In the end, they care not because I'm not an impulsive soccer mom who drinks martinis while Wii bowling and enjoying the only time in her life when she's alone and away from the husband she despises and the children she hates. They practically don't even make their own games anymore. Who makes Metroid? Retro, Tecmo, and any other third party that pays for the license. Who makes Star Fox? Rare handled that, and Nintendo hasn't really produced much since they were out. I wonder how long until a third party makes the DK games? Mario and Zelda are the only franchises left that are sacred, and they've let Capcom make a few Zelda games in the past. No, they are too busy devoting resources to Wii Sports clones to work on the bread and butter.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/107/1073567p1.html

And now to go back to Mega Man 10... I was able to get through the 8 main levels without much difficulty. Nitro Man's stage was unmemorable (I think I'll actually play through it again just to remember it...). Wily's Castle 1 is pretty hard. Without spoiling anything, I'll just say there are three similar minibosses spread apart, and I apparently don't have the talent to finish the level with using fewer than 4 E-tanks.

Nicholas Steel
03-06-2010, 08:39 AM
That is a pretty cool lineup but other then Zelda, I don't really see there being much else for the Wii. I would expect Nintendo to start focusing on there next console more.

Edit: Anyways that article is more or less going to start a OT discussion now and should have been put in it's own thread:P.

DarkFlameWolf
03-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else think Mega Man 10 is a bit 'ho-hum?' Compared to Mega Man 9, which had some genius level design and a lot of new, cool concepts. It seems they kind of just threw this one out of the gate and hope it survived. The color palettes for some levels remind me of the rushed, stale look Mega Man 6 had at the end of the NES era when they were hurrying to rush that product out the door. And the level designs aren't anything innovative either. Is it just me or MM10 a bit lackluster? Or am I just jaded?

Thunderbird
03-14-2010, 05:56 PM
I grabbed MM10 yesterday, and even though the first post says don't do Easy mode...that's where I went first. Partly because the stage design of MM9 was so frustrating to go through :P. Though the first few stages I've been through don't look like they'd be too bad without the Easy Mode propellers sitting there.

I have one question: on the 360 version (if it's out), how many achievements are there? The trophy list on the PS3 is rather lacking (granted, at this point it looks like par for the course for PSN games...except that I didn't even see a gold trophy in the list).

I do like all of the challenges that are around...I don't like the fact that there's no trophy for clearing all of them =P.

Cloral
03-14-2010, 06:51 PM
I have one question: on the 360 version (if it's out), how many achievements are there? The trophy list on the PS3 is rather lacking (granted, at this point it looks like par for the course for PSN games...except that I didn't even see a gold trophy in the list).

XBLA games always have 12 achievements for 200 gamerscore. This is stipulated by Microsoft in their TCRs (Technical Certification Requirements). Technically a game can have fewer than 12 achievements, but this almost never happens in big-name releases.

Thunderbird
03-16-2010, 01:16 PM
XBLA games always have 12 achievements for 200 gamerscore. This is stipulated by Microsoft in their TCRs (Technical Certification Requirements). Technically a game can have fewer than 12 achievements, but this almost never happens in big-name releases.

That explains why all of my cross platform downloaded games only have 12 trophies (and Fat Princess has more than that).

Just bought it a bit ago. Powered through Sheep Man and Pump Man's stages, which weren't too bad. I'm having "fun" with Solar Man's miniboss. So far, the overall design seems to be better than Mega Man 9, though I was a bit disappointed with the ease of Pump Man's stage... I dunno, I took the top path on that one... maybe the bottom path is harder.

After going through both paths, I'd say the bottom way is harder. Spikes on the roof, coupled with water currents hindering movement (and bubble machines trying to put you INTO the spikes) are a bit worse than the Mets on the top path.

Cloral
04-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Well now that this is finally on XBLA I picked it up yesterday. Got through Chill Man and Solar Man. Was it just me, or was Solar Man way too easy?

Warlock
04-02-2010, 02:31 PM
I didn't have the patience for Solar Man with the Mega Buster :P He did seem ok though. Pump Man is a joke though and seems to be the one you are supposed to go after first.

Anyways, overall I thought the game was ok but not as good as MM9. There is a lot in the levels that just seems to exist to piss you off, as opposed to being legitimately challenging (looking at you Commando Man's stage!). Wily was an absolute joke. I couldn't believe how easy he was.

P.S. - the bosses of Wily Castle 1 were awesome though.

Cloral
04-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Oh god, I hate those stupid pits with the enemies in them in Commando Man's stage. Those are such a n00b trap, since there's no way to know the first time that they are there, and if you jump normally over the pit they are guaranteed to kill you.

Warlock
04-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Oh god, I hate those stupid pits with the enemies in them in Commando Man's stage. Those are such a n00b trap, since there's no way to know the first time that they are there, and if you jump normally over the pit they are guaranteed to kill you.

I was referring more to the sandstorms that cover the entire screen so you can't see where any of the platforms are, and then push you into pits and spikes. That's a dick move IMO.

Edit: See top left screenshot here:
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/3017/1246844-mega_man_10_robot_masters_commando_man_01_super.jp g

Cloral
04-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Those actually didn't bother me so much. After seeing the first one in a relatively safe area, I knew what I was going to have to deal with and started looking in advance for safe areas to be during the sandstorms. It makes the going a bit slow because you have to stop every few seconds to wait for the sandstorm to pass, but so long as you make sure you're in a safe spot before they come, they're not a big deal.
On the other hand, I keep forgetting about the stupid parachute bombs and keep getting killed by them.

Pineconn
04-02-2010, 05:42 PM
I beat the game on normal mode about a week ago. One challenge is to beat the game in under an hour, so I did that on easy mode (took only one try -- got something like 44 minutes). Overall it wasn't too bad, and I especially liked the revelation of the Wily Castle 5 stage. :p

The good thing about MM10 over MM9 is that when you die in Wily Castle, you can continue back at the beginning of the stage, rather than having to restart from Wily Castle 1. I think I have about a 60% on challenges, and there's no way I'm going to tackle hard mode.

Cloral
04-03-2010, 01:15 AM
What? MM9 let you continue from the current Wily stage too.

Pineconn
04-03-2010, 01:30 AM
Ah, I meant when you run out of lives.

Twilight-Prince1002
04-03-2010, 02:06 AM
Providing I can grab this on my sibling's Wii, I would love to give this Mega Man a well-deserved playthrough. Mega Man 9 re-introduced what I like to call "retro challenge" in the fact that most gamers (specifically older ones such as myself) thought that many of the more old-school games were harder than a good majority of today's games. I swore I died more times in Mega Man 9 than I have in any other classic Mega Man.

Also, there's the fact that pretty soon, Nintendo should be adding some of the DLC for Mega Man 10, which includes the third playable character...and I know just who it is. : D

Thunderbird
04-03-2010, 04:26 AM
The online manual for Mega Man 9 on the Wii pretty much detailed all of the DLC prior to the release of said DLC. And based on the fact that the third character is mentioned in the Wikipedia article on MM10, it sounds like the same thing happened here.

I found Solar Man easy even with just the arm cannon (I refuse to call it the Mega Buster because it can't charge =P). His stage seemed harder than he was.

Masamune
04-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Well now that this is finally on XBLA I picked it up yesterday. Got through Chill Man and Solar Man. Was it just me, or was Solar Man way too easy?

That twin fire bird mini boss beat the shit out of me before I could even face him. :(

Cloral
04-09-2010, 01:00 PM
I found the secret to that miniboss was to always run under the bird that was higher up. Then his fire spit would miss you, and when they changed sides you'd have plenty of time to avoid the bird coming your way.

bigjoe
04-14-2010, 03:05 PM
At first I was expecting it to be a bit underwhelming because of DFW's comment, but it turned out to be one of the best to me. Playing it on hard mode as Bass now.

Thunderbird
04-20-2010, 02:50 AM
I downloaded the Bass Mode and Special Stage 1 add-ons a couple days ago. I'm glad to see that Bass's controls are essentially identical to how he played in MM&B, including the fact that he has a dash and not a slide (the fact that Proto Man slides instead of dashes bugs me). The fact that he showed up on the title screen after downloading Bass Mode was an interesting touch.

MottZilla
04-21-2010, 01:55 PM
I may end up buying Mega Man 10 for Xbox since I found a seemingly cheap way to use a PS2 controller on the 360 which is definitely a must since the 360 controller sucks for a game like Mega Man.