PDA

View Full Version : How Do True Arrows Work?

alex_love29
02-25-2010, 04:43 PM
i would just like someone to help me in figuring out how "true arrows" work, or if they even do. i want to make my player be able to pick up just 1 item to be able to shoot arrows that will deplete his arrow counter at the top of the screen, and when he picks up arrows they will fill this counter. any help?

Gleeok
02-25-2010, 04:59 PM
There should be a quest rule that enables them.

Freedom
02-25-2010, 06:40 PM
yea, it works.
you have to set it all up
a counter
the quest rule
the quivers
arrow amunition
been a while since I did it, so there might be something else too.

Anthus
02-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Which version are you using? Arrows don't exist until 2.11. In 2.10, and below you just have to use rupees. As for picking up "an item" what do you mean exactly? If the player gets the Bow? If 'true arrows' are active via the quest rule, and the player has a quiver, picking up "an item" should enable arrows if "the item" is the bow, or arrow ammo (if you already have the bow).

I'm pretty sure that once the quest rule is checked, Arrow Ammo becomes a regular drop (like bombs, rupees, and hearts and stuff). You can also edit item drop sets.

If this didn't help, try explaining exactly what you are doing, and what exactly you want to happen. "An item" is not terribly specific. Also, tell us what version you're using :)

Gleeok
02-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Just change the rupee gfx to arrows. Bam! True arrows. :p

Nicholas Steel
02-26-2010, 10:59 PM
You need the bow/quiver and you might need to provide a room in a dungeon with enemies that specifically drop arrows somewhere and once acquired, all enemies will start to randomly drop them?

I think this was the situation for a while before it got fixed.

alex_love29
02-27-2010, 01:21 PM
what i meant by an item is ONE item. just one. not both the bow and the arrow, just 1 item called "bow and arrow" link would just have to pick it up and is good to go. i dont want to have to use a quiver, i just want their to be a counter at the top of the screen, by all the rupees and stuff, but it hink i know what you mean

btw i have the newest beta

and as long as i have the attention of all you smart people, i will add my other dilema to this post. i have the sword set up so it has no beam, does 2 damage, and has the message script on it. but when link picks up the sword, the message plays, and one button becomes the sword button (whatever you chose in the subscreen because i have Both A and B set as assignable) but then the other button whenever pressed plays the string again. (?) also, when you use the sword, it fires a beam (why?) that does no damage, but freezes enemies (why?), i tried to kill them now with melee attacking with the sword, but there is no melee (why?) not even the stab or slash sprites. (why?)

and so in an effort to make a sword that has no magic beam, and just is a sword, i have created a magic, enemy freezing, no damage beam(?)

Help?

Freedom
02-27-2010, 01:30 PM
you have to collect the bow, and then separately the wooden, silver, and gold arrows for the bow to work.
the bow by itself won't work until you have gotten an arrow as an item.

Anthus
02-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Oh, so you just want it to be like Link to the Past essentially, where you just get the bow, and you're ready? You can do it, with some rigging. Go into the initial data, and give Link the arrow, and quiver from the start. Now, make the tile for both of those invisible (select a blank tile in the item editor). Now, you'll already have the arrow, and quiver, and you can't see them so it'll create the effect of getting the bow, and it being for everything.

Hope that helps.

alex_love29
02-28-2010, 12:21 PM
that helps with the bow situation, but i am going to do it so you start with the invisible quiver and bow, then have you pick up the arrow, but have it look like a bow, because the arrow is the item that shows up in the subscreen when you have it equiped. ie. the first zelda, on the passive subscreen when you have the bow and arrow equiped, the arrow is in the b button slot.

i still need help with my sword problem tho, so ill post another thread