PDA

View Full Version : [A Guide] - Advanced Tile Page, and Editing Functions.

Anthus
02-18-2010, 06:29 AM
I went ahead and made a post listing the more advanced drawing functions and commands on the tile pages, just in case some people don't know. This will make editing tiles in bulk smoother, hopefully.

For all intents and purposes, these shortcuts are "for 2.5". I say this since some things don't work in 1.92, or even 2.10 (Like, I know you can only flip single tiles in 2.10, and obviously, 8-bit color did not exist until 2.11).

Awesome magic commands in the tile viewer:
* I'd like to point out the "Ctrl+T" in ZQ will also take you to the Tile Editor in newer betas.
"C" - Copy selected tile(s) to the "clipboard".
"M" - Moves tiles (instead of just copying). Equal to "Cut" in some other applications. ZC will try and move all references to these tiles as well, but 'M' doesn't move the links to Weapon/Misc. sprites or subscreen objects currently, so keep that in mind (-Joe123). If you don't have anything on the clipboard, pressing "M" will bring up the combo editor, and let you combo the selected tiles.
"V" - Paste selected tile(s) from the clipboard. If there is nothing on the clipboard, it will flip a tile vertically.
"H" - Flip a tile horizontally.
"R" - Rotate a tile 90 degrees clockwise. ("R" Will also automatically "recolor" ripped tiles in the tile grabber to the palette and c-set you have selected. Beware, in older builds, this is permanent!)
"O" - Overlap a copied tile over the tile the selector is on. Works like layering, but on a permanent basis. This means the tile being overlapped will be visible through the overlapping tile's transparent pixels.
"Shift+O" - "Underlap" a copied tile under the transparent part of the tile that the tile selector is on. Essentially, the opposite as above.
* Note that rotating, and overlapping works only on a single tile basis.
"U" - Undo last action.
"P" - Bring up "Go To Page:" prompt. Type in the page number, and press enter.
"E" - Edit the selected tile.
"G" - Open the Tile Grabber.
"B" - Enables "8-bit Color". This will allow the selected tile(s) to use ALL 256 colors of the given palette.
"Ctrl+B" - Return selected 8-bit tiles back to 4-bit color.
"Shift+B" - Convert selected tiles to 8-bit BUT keep the transparent color.
Enter - Save changes, and exit the tile page.
Shift+Arrow - Select multiple tiles. The mouse can also be used to define a selection if 'Shift' is held.
Space - Toggle Shift-Selected tile selections between "Sequential", where all tiles between 'Tile A' and 'Tile B' are selected, or "Relational" where 'Tile A' and 'Tile B' mark the top left and bottom right corners of a square/ rectangle respectively. You'll be able to tell which is which by looking at the little box at the bottom of the screen.
Alt+Arrow - This is a very useful one for, say, adding a lock tile to doors. If you have a selection, Alt+Arrows will move ALL the tiles as one, pixel by pixel. NOTE: They will wrap around the edge of the selection, and loop. You can "slide" and reposition large amounts of tiles this way.
PageUp/ PageDn - Cycle tile pages.
"Home/ End" - Go to the top, or end of any given page.
Crtl+Home/ End - Jump to Page 0, and page 255 respectively.
Awesome magic commands in the tile editor:
There aren't as many of these, but they are still useful nonetheless.
"Ctrl+S" - Swap the colors selected by the right, and left mouse buttons on the actual tile -- Good for recoloring.
"S" - Swap the left and right mouse colors -- Just on the mouse, not in the tile itself.
"Ctrl+Arrow" - Go to the tile to the direction of the pressed Arrow key -- Good for checking alignment without leaving the editor.
"Arrow" - Move the tile one pixel in that direction; this will cause the tile to loop over itself. This is good for making sure one tile lines up with itself.

That's all for now. I'm pretty sure I got them all, but if I missed any, or if you have any other useful stuff to add, go right ahead :)

Updates: Added "M" and "B", mentioned by Nick.
Also added "S" to the editor list. Ctrl+S is slightly different.
Made some slight corrections by Molten Onyx.
Added some stuff by Joe123.
Added "Shift+O" by ShadowTiger from AGN.
Added Ctrl/Shift B by Evile.
I Added Control+T in ZQ.

Yapollo
02-18-2010, 11:22 AM
I accidentally found a few of these commands, but your guide helped me figure out what exactly what I did (which was good, because I really messed up my tiles). Thanks, Anthus

ShadowTiger
02-18-2010, 03:58 PM
I think there's also some sort of "underlap" functionality by holding ctrl or shift with o. Been a while since I used it, but I'm pretty sure that I've used it at some point within the past two or three years.

Anthus
02-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Underlap, hm? I'll check.

..Yup. Ctrl+O Underlaps them. I'll add it to the list.