PDA

View Full Version : [1170]ZQuest changes color

SpykStorm
02-14-2010, 02:42 AM
If you leave zquest idle for about five or more minutes, ZQuest goes crazy and the program changes to random colors. You can fix it buy re-opening the quest or exiting the program. I'll get a screenshot the next time it does it.

Gleeok
02-14-2010, 03:14 AM
:odd: ..That's pretty weird. Is it only 1170 that this happens with, or is this just not tested with any other build? What are your computer specs?

1170 was compiled with a different compiler using different libs compared to the older builds so it may be possible. The reason I made this switch is because the overall speed of the program is much faster now, along with response in general. ..I'm actually kind of surprised that there are any issues with it. ...The only other technical issue I changed in this build was defensive inlining in zquest since it doesn't seem to benefit from it at all. hmmm....

Yeah, get a screenshot.

Nicholas Steel
02-14-2010, 03:27 AM
It's probably a part of Vista/7 or a 3rd party program that is stealing the programs "display palette". Happens with various games such as Worms Armageddon, Worms 2, Worms World Party, Starcraft, Warcraft 2 BNE, etc.

I forget how, but the next beta update for Worms Armageddon is going to solve this problem for W:A.

Gleeok
02-14-2010, 03:43 AM
Oh! Do you mean, like how sometimes in 2.10 the black would switch to pink, and a few colors would seem to change? Usually switching to fullscreen and back would fix it. I haven't seen this happen for quite some time since the 2.5 builds though.

Freedom
02-14-2010, 06:29 AM
I think he may be talking about that color thing it's done forever.
It's done it with me through 4 computers now, and I've always believed it was triggered by AVG.

Gleeok
02-14-2010, 06:43 AM
Right. I'm pretty sure it's just an allegro thing since I've also seen it happen on one other game that used allegro4. Though it's rare to compare against other programs to find a cause for it because there aren't that many out there. It's always been a bit of a mystery why it does that though.

Stupid Mcafee crashes every time it does a scheduled virus check. JIT picks it up every time too. Who you trying to fool Mcafee?

XMuppetSB
02-14-2010, 12:08 PM
This most likely being an allegro issue, deferred till post 2.5.
PS: This happens to me a lot when I run ZQuest or ZC in Full Screen!:glare:

SpykStorm
02-14-2010, 06:14 PM
It has done this every once in a while in older builds, but in more recent ones it has happened much more frequently. I'm running XP.

This most likely being an allegro issue, deferred till post 2.5.

Yeah, it should definitely wait until after 2.5 if it's an allegro issue.

Nicholas Steel
02-15-2010, 12:22 AM
Oh! Do you mean, like how sometimes in 2.10 the black would switch to pink, and a few colors would seem to change? Usually switching to fullscreen and back would fix it. I haven't seen this happen for quite some time since the 2.5 builds though.
Yes, however with Windows 7, for most users the solution is to end all instances of the Explorer.exe process before launching the game. (confirmed by me and some others in I think the beta discussion section).

For Vista users, apparently disabling the indexing system and disabling Aero etc. help it but none of that affects the bug in Windows 7.

For XP users it is almost always a 3rd party application causing it.