PDA

View Full Version : I've caved in...youtube.

DarkFlameWolf
01-29-2010, 09:14 AM
With inspiration from Eppy's LP videos of some of my quests/works, I decided to finally cave in and get a youtube channel so I can provide complete 100% walkthroughs of my works, starting with the Isle of the Winds Zelda Classic quest. Here is the link to my channel, at the moment, only two videos are up, but more are ...coming. http://www.youtube.com/user/Darkflamewolf
So any requests of my quests after Isle of the Winds?

Freedom
01-29-2010, 05:30 PM
kewl ;O)

Shoelace
01-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Yeah, Sillycat is doing a walkthrough on my game, and it is really entertaining. I want to do some myself, but I just don't have the time right now.

But yeah, I think you just have to do Hidden Duality and Lost Isle. I think that is a given right? :P

Mariolink263
01-31-2010, 12:42 AM
I would agree with what Shoelace said. I got lost in those quests all the time. And it sucks that he had to start over on yours.

Nicholas Steel
01-31-2010, 12:48 PM
and lastly, a playthrough of Petoe's Megaman quest :P

DarkFlameWolf
01-31-2010, 01:51 PM
well, there is already a LI and HD video walkthrough out there by Eppy. Is it straight and concise? Not really, they are kinda meandering walkthroughs, kind of a 'figure it out as I go' style of play. But the walkthroughs are out there. So...I'll probably be doing those last unless there is a REALLY high demand for quick, efficient walkthroughs of those quests.

EDIT: Megaman quest? pffft, not even mine.

Nicholas Steel
02-01-2010, 01:15 AM
'Sif not Megaman <3 I knew it wasn't yours.

Nicholas Steel
02-01-2010, 01:52 AM
Whats wrong with part 2 of your Lost Isle walk through? video judders like crazy and the audio starts going out of sync etc.

also 2nd half of dungeon 3 is affected.

it seems to be whenever you recover from video recording issues...

DarkFlameWolf
02-01-2010, 07:36 AM
no idea, my friend. But I'm long past those points right now, so I probably will not go back and redo those videos.

Nicholas Steel
02-01-2010, 07:49 AM
Also happened towards the end of your Dungeon A video, except it was only the audio that went out of sync, the video was as smooth as it was at the start.

DarkFlameWolf
02-01-2010, 09:53 PM
I think I know why. I can't seem to sit down for a perfect 8 minutes for each video due to many distractions (like a baby). So I have to pause the video and resume in the middle of several sessions, and I think that's what screws up the sound a bit. I guess it can't be helped. I can't really go back and perfect those videos unless I want to replay the entire game all over again, so you're unfortunately gonna have to deal with it.

Freedom
02-04-2010, 07:01 PM
how are you "recording" these on your PC, and converting them into video?

DarkFlameWolf
02-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Camstudio, I'm a little tight on money, so I can't buy full versions of other similar programs. Yes, its only 30-40 bucks, but that's how tight we are on money at the moment...Esp. given this is a side-thing I'm doing making these videos and not really crucial to real life.

Freedom
02-04-2010, 08:28 PM
everybody is tight except the politicians, I'm going to see what I can find for free ;O)

I misread your post, I thought camstudeo was $30
found it and downloaded it
thanks

DarkFlameWolf
02-09-2010, 05:26 AM
The entire walkthrough of Isle of the Winds is posted now, in 49 parts. All secrets are revealed, played in roughly 6 hours and 0 deaths. Enjoy!

Also, I decided its time to reveal all my secrets of Lost Isle and I'm doing that next!

DarkFlameWolf
02-11-2010, 10:46 AM
So it begins...
First three parts are up, leading to the entrance of level 1.
Hope the developer's commentary is more enlightening this time around. I remember more about the making of Lost Isle than I did with Isle of the Winds. So I can probably talk more to it.

Nicholas Steel
02-11-2010, 11:59 AM
-waits for part 5-

DarkFlameWolf
02-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Wow, thanks for avidly watching them so far. Hope some stuff was interesting and revealing for you in the first four parts. But I only do it in spurts and usually early mornings or late evenings. So during the middle of the day, its usually rare that I post a video up. So it may be quite a few hours before the next video is posted. But it won't disappoint! Lots of developer's commentary coming up!

EDIT: Parts 5-7 are now up. Level 1 complete.

Petoe
02-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Heck, I was expecting to hear your voice when you mentioned commentary... but text is fine too.

Nice work, Wolfie! I will be watching all these vids for sure. :)

DarkFlameWolf
02-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Hope you're okay with me divulging all our secrets ...and our fights. LOL

Petoe
02-13-2010, 05:15 PM
It's ok. We did have many fights, and there's some misinformation in your commentary, but nothing big. :) I enjoy reading your thoughts. A few months earlier I had a similiar thought in my mind to make a LI walkthrough with developer commentary but now I see no point in doing so. :P

DarkFlameWolf
02-13-2010, 08:35 PM
If there is some misinformation, then it's probably my bad memory. I'm trying my best to remember who did what, whose idea was whose, etc. I do believe I'm 98% correct on most of my info that I've placed in the videos thus far.

Petoe
02-14-2010, 05:06 AM
Yeah, probably Wolfie's bad memory, but you got most of it right so it's no biggie. If I happen to see something that is way off then maybe I will comment on the video to set you right but I doubt there's no need for it.

The only comment I've found annoying so far was when you mocked my "jumping off cliffs" shortcuts by saying that they're useless and you haven't used them at all excluding once... Well they might not have been usefull for you, but they were useful for so many other players, including me. But that was your opinion so who am I to complain. ;)

DarkFlameWolf
02-14-2010, 07:56 AM
Well, its a good thing you're realizing its only my opinion. I'm not here to attack your work, its good stuff. But I personally felt, for the most part, they were unneeded. Whistle Warps and warp cave took care of most of the fast travel.

Anthus
02-15-2010, 10:27 PM
I like the dream level.

Pineconn
02-16-2010, 01:20 AM
Yeah, I definitely used the cliff jumps a lot. As a game developer, it's always difficult to know exactly how someone would play through the game. You might consider the cliff jump spots to be unnecessary, but as a player, they were nice to use in instances.

Nicholas Steel
02-16-2010, 02:05 AM
TBH I've been skipping your videos that only explore HC Pieces as they are pretty much a very boring excercise to watch though I'm sure I'm missing out on quite a bit of commentary.

Nicholas Steel
02-17-2010, 05:58 AM
Since I last reported, you must be doing what I expected. Are you stopping your videos however early insted of pausing/resume so as to avoid desyncs and stuff? Better to have some short then some with a really annoying problem :P

DarkFlameWolf
02-20-2010, 01:11 PM
The walkthrough is almost over now. The four main levels are complete and all that's left is the Master Dome, Cultist Cave and level 5.

Petoe
02-21-2010, 02:01 AM
all that's left is the Master Dome, Cultist Cave and level 5.

You forgot to mention the Hideout, and some HC Pieces you still have to get. ;)

Nicholas Steel
02-21-2010, 05:15 AM
Plague Laboratory - Log book entry #3 was not mentioned and you walk right past it after you get the key to the upper floor :/

DarkFlameWolf
02-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Did I? Well crap. I do remember however that of the log book entries, it had the least revealing information.
Maybe I'll go back to it and put it in an annotation in one of my later videos, who knows?

Anthus
02-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Sorry if you stated somewhere else, but what recording software do you use? I've tried every free one and they're all shit. So, I might get a decent one. I actually just wrapped up an LP of AlttP via VBA (Upping soon; editing now), and I'd like to do some for some more popular ZC quests. So, mind helping me out and telling me what you use (mainly cause it seems to work so well). Please don't tell me it is CamStudio, or HyperCam. Both of these have terrible capture speeds, and don't record sound. However, if you do use these, please tell me how you got them to not suck shit. O:

Thank you.

DarkFlameWolf
02-26-2010, 11:13 PM
I use Camstudio for ZC quests and I'm using Hypercam for Descent 2 videos (which will be uploaded in the near future). They are each running on two different computers. Camstudio seems to love my Laptop and works flawlessly on it, recording things at decent speeds with perfect sound. Hypercam hates the laptop and prefers my home PC. So I guess I'm lucky in the fact that they seem to work straight 'out-of-the-box.'

Pineconn
02-27-2010, 04:35 AM
........Dang it. I like your vids a lot. Looks like I'll be forced to make a walkthrough whenever I complete my dang remake... Oh, and I've had good experiences with CamStudio -- it's always what I use to make screen captures for my YouTube videos.

Anthus
02-27-2010, 10:26 AM
I use Camstudio for ZC quests and I'm using Hypercam for Descent 2 videos (which will be uploaded in the near future). They are each running on two different computers. Camstudio seems to love my Laptop and works flawlessly on it, recording things at decent speeds with perfect sound. Hypercam hates the laptop and prefers my home PC. So I guess I'm lucky in the fact that they seem to work straight 'out-of-the-box.'

:< Hmm. Well, the CamStudio codec for VBA actually looks very nice, but the program itself records at a low frame rate, regardless of what I set. No option will enable sound either. I've attempted to capture ZC quests, and NES emus with it, and on top of its own poor performance, it also slows down the program. I KNOW it is not my sound card, or computer specs either, since VBA records just fine -- has for years.

And HyperCam.. Uhg, it has given me nothing but freezes, and trouble since the first time I ever tried it. How could they expect anyone to buy the damn thing if the trial is so poor? See issues with recording in CamStuido. I will go ahead and have a look at the settings and configurations and junk in CamStudio again. Given you got it to work, it means it must work for some people.

(Parts 1-6 of my AlttP LP are up :D)

EDIT: Okay.. I got Camstudio to at least record things at an *ok* frame rate. However, the CamStudio Codec will not work, forcing me to use the default Microsoft shitty one. It keeps getting some "Wave in buffer" error, or something. I'm going to restart the program and see if it works. If their codec works with camstudio, then maybe, just maybe I'll take back what I said, since then it would look, and sound good.

EDIT 2: Okay, the codec works. Now.. if I can get to record at higher than 15 FPS.

Nicholas Steel
02-27-2010, 11:20 AM
buy/crack it and then you can.

Anthus
02-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Wait, which one? I thought CamStudio was free anyway. It's been a while since I downloaded it/ went to the site so, I dunno. I do know HyperCam has to be bought to remove the shit seal. I think with something like this, it is stupid to put limits on the trial since if it works like shit how can you test it otherwise? I think a full featured, yet time based trial would be more effective.

See, now everything records relatively decently, but the files are huge. Like, one minute is nearly 200MB. I know it is probably the codec since it is "lossless" but the other codecs are very shitty... and I mean shitty. To shitty to just deal with, even by the most modest of standards. Ugh.. I hate to be such a n00b, but the generally crap performance, and somewhat intimidating interface/ options have deterred me in the past. I want to get this working though.

... Totally not trying to derail the thread here >.>

DarkFlameWolf
02-27-2010, 04:06 PM
if you get the hypercam version that runs through your web browser, then you can get the fully-featured version without the seals, etc. But only if you run it out of your web browser first.

Anthus
02-27-2010, 04:36 PM
if you get the hypercam version that runs through your web browser, then you can get the fully-featured version without the seals, etc. But only if you run it out of your web browser first.

Thanks, but I actually got CamStudio to work with little compromising the quality (and the audio sync is not fucked either). I am currently recording an LP of Search for Elise as a testing type deal. I will be uploading it though. So.. You actually use CamStudio though right?

EDIT: Sent a friend invite on youtube.

Freedom
02-27-2010, 05:42 PM
In camstudio to get sound try going into options> audio options >volume> and then checking "stereo mix"

worked for me

Anthus
02-27-2010, 07:28 PM
The sound issue turned out to be an error with CamStudio being unable to gain control over the sound card. I fixed it by having it record from the microphone instead. This actually works out better, since I can do voice commentary, and play all in one file, as opposed to the AlttP LP where I had the sound recorder running, while playing the game emulated, and wearing headphones.

Thanks though. Also, I uploaded getting up to the first dungeon. I don't think there are any other LP's of Search for Elise. .. Are there?

DarkFlameWolf
03-05-2010, 08:32 AM
It seems like its been quiet on the youtube front, but trust me. When this weekend comes, there will be an explosion of videos. :P

DarkFlameWolf
03-11-2010, 05:05 PM
All of Origin is posted, including 3rd quest secrets! Whew, that was a chore.

Nicholas Steel
03-19-2010, 05:57 AM
I recorded my play through your easy 4th dungeon in your Origin quest. You can view it at the below links., I'm after comments on the overall video quality as well as my annotations as this is my very first video for Youtube.

Gives some insight into how I play :) also level 5 was annoying lol since I forgot completely where the bracelet was and was expecting it to be in the dungeon >.>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZgPxlM2xOg&fmt=18 [part 1]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQBYnQBS3e4&fmt=18 [part 2]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd8Cm8IoOjA&fmt=18 [final part]

edit: Oh yeah, and sorry for seemingly attempting to hijack your thread.

DarkFlameWolf
03-27-2010, 08:23 PM
I know its been a while since my last Zelda Classic video, but once I finish up Descent Vignettes, I got a 23 video backlog ready to upload for Fragments of Power!

DarkFlameWolf
04-07-2010, 07:40 AM
First three parts of the 23-part Fragments of Power walkthrough are uploaded.