PDA

View Full Version : Darksiders

Cloral
01-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Did anyone else pick this one up? I played through the first dungeon last night, and I have to say that I was really surprised at how big and involved the dungeon actually was. There were moments in it that were such a blatant ripoff of Zelda I had to laugh - like when I got the dungeon map or the 'crossblade' which is really the boomerang from Wind Waker (you can tag multiple targets and then have the boom, er crossblade, go hit them in sequence. You can even grab fire from a torch with the crossblade and use the flame to set off a bomb). It's not entirely Zelda though. With the souls you grab from enemies that you then use to upgrade your weapons and buy new moves, there is clearly a strong God of War influence.

All in all though, I am finding the game enjoyable. Someone suggested that I play the game on hard, which I am. This removes the biggest complaint I heard about the game other than that it rips off everything else, which is that it is too easy. One reviewer complained that you never have to use the dodge button because the enemies are too easy. Well, I can tell you that on hard, this is definitely not true! Most of the larger enemies can kill you in about 4 hits on hard. So if you don't dodge, you will die, and fast.

AtmaWeapon
01-27-2010, 09:36 PM
It's on the wish list, but I'm kind of swamped for games right now. I think I'm good until late March. I saw some stuff about the game and really liked the way it looked but it hit right when I already had too many games to play. How long would you say the game is?

Cloral
01-27-2010, 10:28 PM
I have no idea. I'm only through the first dungeon so far. It's taken me a good 4 hours to get this far, but again I'm playing on hard and have had to retry some areas a good number of times. Judging from the achievements, there might be another 3-6 dungeons to get through, so probably in the range of 12-24 hours total would be my best guess.

Thunderbird
01-29-2010, 04:46 AM
This thread and other sources certainly make the game sound interesting...but the complete lack of a demo when the game is on at least one platform where demos are very common makes me think twice about it (all of the games I have for the PS3 had demos for them, and when demos are generally available for a system's games, I prefer to try them first). I passed up Dragon Age for similar reasons.

Cloral
02-14-2010, 01:12 AM
Another thing to note if you are on the fence: if you can pick up an early copy that still has a code inside, you can now get a copy of Red Faction for just the cost of shipping and handling. So yeah. I was pretty happy to find that out today. It was like a bonus gift I wasn't expecting.

Cloral
02-18-2010, 05:45 PM
This thread and other sources certainly make the game sound interesting...but the complete lack of a demo when the game is on at least one platform where demos are very common makes me think twice about it (all of the games I have for the PS3 had demos for them, and when demos are generally available for a system's games, I prefer to try them first). I passed up Dragon Age for similar reasons.

So it turns out they are making a demo for this game. No idea when it will be available though.

I had a 'fun' time with the game the other day. I had just gotten the voidwalker which, I swear to god, is the portal gun from... Portal. I get to this ledge where you have to fight these two guys with swords, then a charging monster, then another guy with swords and some fallen angels. I must've died at least a dozen times on this part (keep in mind that I'm playing on hard). The sword guys can literally kill you in one attack if the entire thing hits you! Finally I figure out that the game wants you to block the sword guys' attacks, rather than dodge them, which is what I normally do. So after a few more attempts I finally clear the ledge and swing back to the main part of the dungeon. I go to hit the next switch... and the game crashes.

Fuck!

Now I have to go back and clear that ledge again. At least I saved right before the ledge, so I don't have to go back too far. But I am not looking forward to doing that room again.

Anthus
02-19-2010, 08:13 PM
I've looked at some youtube videos, and I have to admit this game actually looks pretty sweet. I might rent it before I drop 60 bucks though.

Cloral
02-23-2010, 01:59 AM
I just finished the tower level. Man was that place epic. I think it was the last major dungeon area as my equipment screen is now full. And it was certainly big enough to be the last dungeon. It took me 3 separate play sessions of over an hour each to make it all the way through it. Had another epic battle room: first an acid spitter and hammer knight, then another hammer knight with constantly respawning mobs, then two hammer knights at once. Those hammer knights are another enemy that, like the sword guys, can kill you in a hurry. But you can't block their hammers. Instead, I threw the crossblade at them to trigger the shield charge. After the charge they are quickly vulnerable, so I would do a sword dash and then back off. Sometimes they would shield charge again, so you just stay back and then dash them again. But if they reach for the hammer, you get the hell out of range and then do a power strike while they try to pick the hammer back up again. Eventually they lose their shields, at which point they start doing a tornado-like hammer spin move you really gotta watch out for. Eventually I just used my rage form to take out the two knights at once - they were simply too much to deal with normally. Then after a few quick puzzles, it was on to the third miniboss, and then, the boss who, after the battles in the dungeon, was comparatively easy.

Flash Man
03-03-2010, 08:52 PM
After I read this post I found the demo and gave it a whirl. I tried it out and I really liked it. So over this last weekend I picked it up for Playstation and started it on the hard difficulty mode. So far I have gotten to just about where the demo starts you off. As of recently I have not really been interested in any of the games that have been released, but this one definitely caught my attraction.