PDA

View Full Version : Your game of the year for 2009

vegeta1215
01-25-2010, 01:53 PM
There are a lot of video game news articles on the web talking about picks for the "Game of the year 2009" right now. My game of the year for 2009 was Rune Factory Frontier for the Wii.

I played this game for about 4-5 months, totaling over 150 hours easily. The game is a cross between Harvest Moon (farming, dating sim) and an RPG/dungeon crawler with weapon & tool building. The game is very addicting. With so much to collect and do, it was no surprise I played it so long, beating every dungeon, seeing all the "love events" for each of the 13 bachelorettes, and crafting some of the best weapons and accessories you can get.

What was game of the year 2009 for you?

Brasel
01-25-2010, 02:22 PM
I might have to check Rune Factory Frontier out, since I've heard other people on here say its good, and I always tend to like the games you recommend.

Mine would be Metal Gear Solid 4. It didn't come out in 09, but I was gone when it was released. I've played through it several times this year. The gameplay is perfect. The story wasn't too bad, but it seemed like they were trying to tie up too many loose ends all at once...and the whole Liquid Ocelot thing was kind of dumb. I'll probably play through it another dozen times or so.

Cloral
01-25-2010, 03:08 PM
I was thinking about this a few weeks ago, and I realized that there weren't really many games that came out in '09 that I really played that much. I did a good bit of catching up on RPGs since I now have an HDTV, but both Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia came out before '09. I did play a fair bit of Mario and Zelda at the end of the year, but neither was really good enough that I would consider them GOTY candidates. Ghostbusters and Shadow Complex were both decent, but again, not *great*. So I guess I don't really have a vote to cast. :shrug:

Aegix Drakan
01-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Haaaard choice.....

...hmm.....Crystal Bearers, I guess. Came out juuuust before 2010. PLaying through it now, and wow...it's a blast.

I'm sure there was something better, but I can't think of it ATM.

....although Phantasy star Zero and Kingdom hearts 358/2 days aren't far behind.

PS: I actually OWN Rune factory frontier, but haven't had time to play it. I'm playing Crystal bearers now, along with Mirror's edge, blazblue, and When I'm totally done with CB, I'll be playing No more Heroes 2. .....So Rune factory is gonna be on the back burner for a bit.

vegeta1215
01-25-2010, 11:38 PM
I was thinking about this a few weeks ago, and I realized that there weren't really many games that came out in '09 that I really played that much. I did a good bit of catching up on RPGs since I now have an HDTV, but both Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia came out before '09. I did play a fair bit of Mario and Zelda at the end of the year, but neither was really good enough that I would consider them GOTY candidates. Ghostbusters and Shadow Complex were both decent, but again, not *great*. So I guess I don't really have a vote to cast. :shrug:

Yeah, I just meant, what was your favorite game you played this year :)

Here's my anti-game of the year: Scribblenauts. Like many, I was drawn in by the hype, but it did not last. I played it for a few days, and promptly put it up for sale on eBay. It wasn't even the controls. (like many people complained about) The game was just boring.

Anthus
01-26-2010, 04:40 AM
Off the top of my head, and paired with the fact that I only bought TWO new games last year, I'd go with New Super Mario Bros Wii. The other '09 game I bought was "FFCC: Echoes of Time". It was awesome, but I never finished it since it was in my DS when it got stolen at a convention back in April of 2009.

ctrl-alt-delete
01-26-2010, 09:04 AM
The only game that I played this entire year was NSMB: Wii, so I guess I would have to go with it. Now that I am unemployed, once I get some different chores done and another job of course, I'm going to try to squeeze in more time for games.

AtmaWeapon
01-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Does it have to be a game released in 2009, or can we count the 2-3 months leading up to 2009? That affects my choice. I kind of hate that November is a big release month because usually I don't get to play all of those games until well into the next year.

Cloral
01-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I just meant, what was your favorite game you played this year :)

Well, in that case I'd probably have to pick Tales of Vesperia.

AtmaWeapon
01-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Oh duh jeez Atma way to read the thread like a n00b.

In January I got an XBox 360. Fallout 3 was the tipping point; I just couldn't live without playing that game. It happens to be my favorite game, too, but for comparison this is all I played worth mentioning:
BioShock
Dead Rising
Assassin's Creed
Braid
LEGO Batman
LEGO Indiana Jones
Shadow Complex
AC Wild World???
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Scribblenauts
Professor Layton???
Chrono Trigger DS
I'd have to dig through my DS games to see what else I played too. My backloggery (http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=sittenspynne) site is slowly updating; I do one of my boxes of games each morning.

Fallout 3 was big. BIG. And easy to get lost in. It has a mythos and lore that dates back to the 90s for many people, but I'd never played the previous games. I think I played this game through twice and didn't really pick up a different game until maybe April or May. DLC packs kept me going but really the games got tons of content. I read everything I could found and loved how each area painted a picture of someone's life that abruptly ended. Well, most areas. Some of them felt like the dev team didn't have time to flesh them out. I still have a playthrough or two left to do to pick up the achievements, and haven't bought the last 2 DLC packs.

Borderlands is a strong contender too. In the end, I think it falls flat compared to Fallout 3 because there's little incentive to replay it after the 2nd playthrough. Fallout 3 was better at setting up environments that had a feel to them. I have Assassin's Creed II but haven't cracked the shrink wrap yet; I expect good things out of it.

I have to agree with Scribblenauts being the anti-game. It's the Segway of last year's DS titles when it comes to unmet potential. I won't go into detail because my post in the Scribblenauts thread did so.

*b*
01-27-2010, 04:39 AM
InFamous is my top, for sure. Left 4 Dead 2 is a close second, though, I have to admit.

Rammstein
01-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Chrono Trigger DS

Only new game I played in 2009, loved it.

ZTC
01-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Left 4 Dead 2 hands down.

Darth Marsden
02-07-2010, 05:59 AM
Either ChronoTrigger DS, Assassin's Creed or Dead Space. Only new games I played last year that I'd say were really, really good.

Matteo
02-12-2010, 12:10 PM
For me, Assassin's Creed II
Had incredible story and presentation, plus just was a blast to play, heads and tails better than the first game.
Runners up:
Mario Bros. Wii
Borderlands