PDA

View Full Version : Problem watching DVDs on PC

Darth Marsden
01-20-2010, 12:15 PM
There doesn't seem to be a Tech section any more, so I figured I'd ask this here. If it should go somewhere else, feel free to move it, Mods.

I've recently gotten a band spanking new PC, following the demise of my old one a few weeks before Christmas. It's working great, with one exception - I can't get DVDs to play in anything other than VLC. Using anything else just makes the relevant player crash with an utterly helpless error message.

Those with long memories may remember that I had a similar problem with my old PC following a reformat, and that the problem was something to do with the drivers, but I can't remember what the solution was, and it's not as if I can go back and check, sadly.

I've installed PowerDVD 5 (my preferred DVD watching software) and the latest K-Lite Codec Pack. According to the Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility, I have the CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD9) decoder selected, and all should work, but sadly this isn't the case.

My new PC has a bunch of modern tech inside it, but the one that probably matters is the graphics card - a ATI Radeon HD 5850, which is running the latest drivers.

Any assistance in this would be much appreciated - I really am not a fan of VLC.

EDIT: Actually, this has now turned into a problem watching most video files. Anything that's not an AVI or WMV will crash the video player, be it Media Player Classic, WMP11, whatever.

EDIT 2: Ok, so by uninstalling all the codecs I had installed along with PowerDVD, I can now watch all my video files, but can't play DVDs. Hmm. This is turning into more of a diary then an actual forum post, isn't it? Meh, whatever. As long as the job gets done, right?

EDIT 3: Having re-installed the K-Lite Codec Pack, I can now watch DVDs through WMP11. Next step...

EDIT 4: ...do nothing. Here's (http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=120766&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear) Why (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst912Hotfix.aspx). I know it says Windows 7, but it's affecting me as well (mouse cursor and all). I've managed to get things to a relatively stable state, so I'll leave it as is.

Nicholas Steel
01-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Did you install the latest drivers as well as the latest driver hotfix? http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst912Hotfix.aspx

Also they said a BIOS update resolved there problems, check for video card BIOS updates and Motherboard BIOS updates.

Darth Marsden
01-21-2010, 05:26 PM
I had installed the latest drivers for me Graphics Card, but didn't wanna tinker with the BIOS stuff.

But yeah, I installed said HotFix, which fixed the mouse cursor issue. But like I said, it's pretty stable now, so I don't want to tinker any further in case I screw things up again.

AtmaWeapon
01-22-2010, 10:01 AM
I don't think I've ever had an experience with ATI that I would deem positive. I can't believe their drivers are *still* trash.

Darth Marsden
01-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Ok, just managed to recover from trying to re-install PowerDVD 5 again. That program was definitely the problem here. If I don't install it, fine. If I do install it, it doesn't work and I have big mouse cursor. If I un-install it, I still have big mouse cursor. If I un-install the K-Lite Codec Pack, I have normal cursor. If I then install the K-Lite Codec Pack again, I still have normal cursor and can watch my illegally downloaded (kidding - or am I? Yeah, kidding) videos.

So basically, PowerDVD 5 is a no-no. I'm currently using TotalMedia Theatre 3, which isn't that bad. Pain in the arse to figure all this out though.

Nicholas Steel
02-18-2010, 04:44 AM
ATI Catalyst 10.2 drivers are out, maybe give them a whirl.

Darth Marsden
02-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Oh thanks, didn't know new drivers were out. I'm on 10.1 ATM, and I'm still getting the whole 'Mouse Cursor going large' issue, so I'll give the new ones a whirl and see if that improves things or not.

EDIT: Should just point out that there are no updated motherboard drivers.

Pineconn
02-18-2010, 01:17 PM
I wouldn't know what to say. I have an ATI M880G Radeon HD 4200. No problems whatsoever... seems to be a good card. I have no beef with ATI or Catalyst.

Darth Marsden
02-19-2010, 02:27 AM
Well, the latest drivers seem to have fixed the problem, touch wood. So wiigii!

Nicholas Steel
02-26-2010, 07:04 AM
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst102Hotfix.aspx

new driver hotfix also to try if you continue getting the problem.

Darth Marsden
02-26-2010, 04:54 PM
I haven't had the big mouse cursor issue for a while now actually, so I'll stick with the drivers I've got. But thanks anyway!

Darth Marsden
03-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Check post #5 (the one by Uriox). (http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=720567&forum=49&sp=0)

Fuck ATI. It took me two hours to figure this out. I also can't play Knights of the Old Republic, though I don't mind that so much as I didn't want to play that. But no NWN? Fuck!

Also, that 10.2 Hotfix was for Vista and Windows 7, not XP.