PDA

View Full Version : HP Prevention Problem

Gunther
01-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Eh... I use ZC all the time. Or at least, I used to. Until I got a HP Pavilion dv6 that uses Windows 7 for Christmas. You see, I dowloaded Version 2.10 again.

But the thing is, whenever I attempt to open it it says, "zquest-w.exe has stopped working". Below this it says: "A problem causes the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

And so I am forced to close it. The GAME-PLAYER works fine, or at least, it does right now. It's the Editor I'm having troubles with. Can somebody please give me a helping hand?

If you need any clarifications, please say so.

Please reply ASAP. :poke:

Gleeok
01-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Hi Gunther.

Try this: http://zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net/faq.php?q=30 -Also try "Run in 256 colors mode" if you still are having troubles.

Let me know if that worked.

Anthus
01-15-2010, 06:21 AM
Make sure you are an admin. Right click, go to Properties, then the "Compatibility" tab and, first, try selecting an older version of Windows. If that doesn't work, then check "Run in 256 colors" and "Run in 640x480".

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/737/clipboard01et.gif

Is that does not work, try launching it with the latest version of the Zelda Classic Launcher. You'll need to mess with those settings too.

EDIT: You might also want to check "Disable themes" but try with just the first two first.

The reason ZC requires the user to be an admin is because it takes control over a few system things, like the sound card, and resolution. This is why media players don't work at the same time as older ZC versions.

Gunther
01-16-2010, 11:23 AM
See, I'd do just that but I need to be an admin to do 256 Colors.

This is my computer. But the only user on it is Gunther.

And Gunther is not an admin. =(

Gunther
01-16-2010, 02:08 PM
Hi Gunther.

Try this: http://zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net/faq.php?q=30 -Also try "Run in 256 colors mode" if you still are having troubles.

Let me know if that worked.

I tryed what you said, then what Anthus said. Still no luck.

Anthus
01-16-2010, 09:29 PM
If there is only one user account on your machine, it should be an admin. I'm not exactly sure how it works, and I'm not an expert but try this, on your computer. See if you can go to \Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\. If you can, make sure that it says "Administrator" under your account name. I would think if the computer has only one, it would be an admin by default. Now, if you can get to this page, and it is is NOT an Admin, then someone else will have to help, unless it will somehow let you change it. You may also have different controls set for programs. There are settings somewhere that determine what is displayed under properties. I'm not sure where, but this may cause even an Admin account to not have access. This is similar to having Windows hide system files by default, to avoid accidental deletion.

I don't know enough about Windows accounts, and privileges to be much help, unfortunately. I've never had any reason to explore it too deeply, since I've always been an admin on my own computer.

Yapollo
01-16-2010, 10:24 PM
See, I'd do just that but I need to be an admin to do 256 Colors.

This is my computer. But the only user on it is Gunther.

And Gunther is not an admin. =(

You're the only user on your computer?

Then you should be the administrator, but if not search through settings and you might find something (Though I do not know where to look).

Good Luck

Gunther
01-16-2010, 11:06 PM
Yeah. I found it out so... Now I'm admin!

I tryed EVERYTHING you guys said, but still no luck.

Anthus
01-17-2010, 06:27 AM
Hmm. I know yo said you tried this, but try using th Zelda Classic Launcher, and launching 2.10 in windowed mode, if you haven't already. You can get the newest version of the ZCL here. (http://www.deviance.shardstorm.com/zcl.php)

Gunther
01-17-2010, 04:39 PM
ZC in windowed mode actually works! But, uh, the screen is puny.

pkmnfrk
01-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Assuming you're using ZC Launcher, change the "Screen Resolution" setting. I use 640x480.