PDA

View Full Version : The Weezer Effect

Ich
01-04-2010, 05:35 AM
Have you ever had a band you thought was pretty good, or even all right, but you never really got into them? Have you ever dated somebody who liked that band a lot and frequently listened to the band's music in your presence? Enough that you start to think "oh, they're actually pretty good; I should get more of their stuff" and you do. You start to genuinely enjoy the music, and you appreciate the musical talent of the artist.

Then, you break up with the person, and the formerly acceptable or even good band has been ruined. The music with substantial artistic merit that you genuinely enjoyed has now been spoiled by its strong connection to a failed relationship. The CD that was pretty good is still pretty good, but an otherwise passable, decent, or even good band has now been rendered unlistenable.

Except for the song "Island in the Sun" (which I liked before the relationship began) Weezer's entire catalogue of music has been ruined for me. I should perhaps note that the breakup was two years ago, and although I am not bitter now, I still can't stand Weezer.

Does anybody else make this kind of strong association between music and people? Have you had a (good) band similarly ruined? Are there other forms of media that this has happened to you with, such as movies, video games, books, etc., or is music by nature a medium that has a stronger emotional component to it?

Toolie
01-04-2010, 06:11 AM
... is music by nature a medium that has a stronger emotional component to it?

This. There are songs that I'll listen to that I haven't heard in years. Within seconds, all sorts of emotions and memories flood back to me from the time period I associate with the song. Not just relationships (though that's a big component), but all sorts of other periods in my life as well.

And 4000 posts, wow-e. It only took 9 years.

vegeta1215
01-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Not a band, but there is a song that will always remind me of someone I was with once. I was never a big fan of the song, and for a long time I couldn't stand to listen to it, but now I'm okay.

btw, in regards to Weezer... I hope she only ruined everything else from the same album as "Island In The Sun" (The Green Album), and on. I would be devistated if someone ruined their first two CDs for me, which in my opinion, are the only ones of theirs worth listening to.

Anthus
01-05-2010, 05:48 AM
This is actually why I can't really get into House anymore. Fucking bitch.

No, but seriously, I see where you're coming from. I've never had it happen with an entire band, but there are a few songs.

Brasel
01-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Actually, yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. I got into Weezer because the girl I was dating was really into them. Same with Garbage, Eisley, and a few others...but about the ruining thing...not so much, cause I married that girl.

SUCCESSOR
01-05-2010, 08:36 PM
i outright refuse to let any relationship interfere with my music. I think that's stupid. The person's gone, I'm not gonna throw out great music because of it. If it's music I only tolerated because of the persons it'll go, but if I truly appreciated the music that the person got me into it will outlast them. So i guess i'm saying if it was only good because of the emotional bond it shared with that person then it's as good as trash afterward. If the music is good and it has an emotional tie then I just trash the emotional tie and keep the music. But I may be more fond of music than people.

EDIT: I also hate Weezer.

Dechipher
01-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Ben Folds :(

Which sucks cause I got HER really into Ben Folds, and then it ended and it was like....well....damn.
So I suppose I was on the opposite side of you, Ich

Mercy
01-08-2010, 06:10 PM
One particular song by one of my favourite bands. Ironically, it was not a song really cared for, despite the band, until it sort of became the anthem for a specific time in my life. Now, I can not tolerate it. Pure redundant pop drivel that reminds me I have better things to be doing with my time...like changing the radio channel or leaving the club.

There are still a bunch of songs I would never have liked, and probably still don't, yet get all warm and fuzzy from hearing because of the moments in time they became associated with. Martika's "Toy Soldiers" being one of the more embarrassing.

-m.