PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis?

Pineconn
12-31-2009, 03:13 AM
Everyone bring up Google Earth. Type in "31N 24W" and zoom out to an elevation of 200 miles. Possible Atlantis sighting or a cruel joke by Google? Regardless, I find this very interesting.

gdorf
12-31-2009, 03:41 AM
This is old news, and has long-since been debunked: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/atlantis-no-it-atlant-isnt.html

This is exactly the kind of stuff we do at the research lab where I work. I could tell immediately what the lines were.

Anthus
12-31-2009, 04:01 AM
That's kind of cool actually. At least they were honest and said they're not very proficient at mapping the ocean floor. So, Google Earth has imagery for the moon now? Last time I checked, it had Mars, and that was it.

Pineconn
01-01-2010, 05:22 AM
I was, obviously, pretty certain it wasn't any Atlantis fable, but I still found it pretty neat. Google Earth oddities interest me. :p

Basementwall
01-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Yeah--there's something to the idea that it could be Atlantis that gets our imaginations going. And that's a good thing.

RKnowles
03-14-2011, 06:39 PM
I read your link, and I feel it is reasonable to assume that this was just an artifact of the echolocation process, but why only in this one segment of the ocean? Also, I feel that I need to be shown one or two more examples of this artifactual "ship lines" effect in a large patch formation like this one at 31N 24W in order to feel confident that I'm not just being fed a line to get me to dismiss this whole thing. After all, if a massive ruined underwater city (like Atlantis) really *were* discovered, the last thing that governments would want is a lot of hysteria about this. They would want to send secret task forces down there in submarines to explore something like this in private. A line like "it's just an artifact of the measurement process" would be given to the masses because it is believable and plays upon our insecurities about our own personal ignorance of such processes. In other words, because it works to squeltch unwanted curiosity effectively. Just to ease my mind, can anyone show me anything even close to the kind of effect we see at 31N 24W *anywhere* on Google Earth's ocean display?