PDA

View Full Version : Question for Dark Nation about the Lost Isle Build.

DarkFlameWolf
12-27-2009, 05:05 PM
I plan on having two variants of the same quest hopefully in the same quest file and give players the option to choose between the two variants. One variant is the classic graphic style. That is pretty basic graphics, palettes, etc. The other variant will be Pure or DOR.
Now combining palettes and two different tilesets in a single quest isn't too hard a job, just time consuming. I also believe two sets of enemies via the enemy editor should be sufficient to pull of the dual quest feature. However, my only concern is the big difference in custom subscreen each variant will have. So in the Lost Isle Build, is it possible to have two different subscreens and decide which one will be active on which dmaps, etc.?

pkmnfrk
12-27-2009, 07:05 PM
If, in the DMap editor, you have an option to pick the subscreen, then yes.

DarkFlameWolf
12-27-2009, 11:57 PM
I'm not currently at home atm, but I'm desperately hoping that's what I'll find in the dmap editor when I check it once I get home for the holidays.

pkmnfrk
12-28-2009, 04:40 AM
The oldest build I was able to check is 654 (well, 655, since there's a bug in 654 that prevents it from opening), and it had this feature. Older builds are no longer available for some reason (the change log used to be on a different server earlier than November 2007, and anything on it seems to be off the air).

I can't get 2.1 working (-_-), so I can't check that (but, I suspect it did not have it).

Just out of curiosity, why use the LI build? I mean, as far as I know, it's a fork of some ancient build (earlier than 411, if 1089's message is to be believed) with a few specific bugs fixed. Surely some newer build would be more suitable... (well, possibly some future build that fixes the boomerang bug I reported elsewhere)

DarkFlameWolf
12-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Because I'm most familiar with its format and layout and I know exactly what its capabilities are, and I don't plan on using too many new features of the later builds and I'd like at least one more exclusive quest to be played on the LI Build so we have three quests rather than two (Lost Isle, Origin) that make the download of the LI Build worthwhile. If that makes a majority of the playing audience refuse to play my next creation, then so be it. I know there will be an avid few who will play it and those are whom I'm making the quest for.

pkmnfrk
12-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong. By all means, use whatever you want. The quests themselves should be playable in any newer build, since _L_ fixed the one major incompatibility with it.

Just, don't skimp on testing in newer builds (in the player), since that's what I will be using to play it!

DarkFlameWolf
12-30-2009, 03:05 AM
I'll let someone else handle that testing. My only and main concern is making sure it works perfectly for the version it was made for.

DarkFlameWolf
12-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Good news, the LI Build does support multiple subscreens per Dmap! However, combining classic graphic effects with pure or DOR effects such as fireballs, magic, wizzard fire, etc. is gonna be weird in one quest. LOL

Anthus
03-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Wair so.. this quest will have a classic version, an a new style one? Sounds interesting :o