PDA

View Full Version : Help! I'm running Windows Vista/7 and Zelda Classic is crashing!

pkmnfrk
12-27-2009, 01:28 AM
Here's how to fix it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrx-3ZWQLLQ

(Click the HD button to make it readable)

tl;dw version: Right click on Zelda-w.exe and ZQuest-w.exe, go to Compatability, and tick off "Disable Desktop Composition"

(sticky plz)

Gleeok
12-28-2009, 07:41 AM
How often does it hang when closing? Would you mind posting the last line in allegro.log next time it does it?

pkmnfrk
12-28-2009, 02:21 PM
*shakes head* Allegro.log is normal. It hangs after that point.

I find that if I close Zelda-W quickly after opening it (say, after a quick Edit-Save-Test cycle), it hangs almost 100%. If I leave it open, and just quit the Quest (F6, Retry), and then quit Zelda-W (say) an hour later, then it almost never hangs.

I've tried debugging it, and it appears to hang deep within quit_game(). Something about the whole thing screams "threading issue!" which gives me nightmares when I sleep...

Gleeok
12-28-2009, 07:52 PM
That's weird. Do you remember the line that caused it?

pkmnfrk
12-28-2009, 08:14 PM
It is, of course, not doing under Visual Studio now *grumble*stupid Heisenbugs*mumble*

But, IIRC, it was here:

for (int i=0; i<3; ++i)
{
if(tb_page[i]!=NULL)
destroy_bitmap(tb_page[i]);
}

And, I may have misspoken. While debugging, it manifested as an access violation. I am assuming that in a release build (aka, the file that everyone except me is able to produce for no good reason), it manifests as a hang instead.

But, the line above is where it was happening.

Gleeok
12-28-2009, 10:53 PM
I added your aero fix to the main page.

Hang issue: Welcome to the fun and exiting world of fixing bugs in ZC! :D :) ...check your PMS..uhh, I mean PM's.

basumarra1510
04-19-2010, 05:27 PM
hello guys ...

its really nice and informative post....

i just liked it....

thanks for your good question &

thanks guys who answered ...........

EJKDurile
05-09-2010, 07:17 PM
I actually tried all that stuff before I found this video, but nothing works, only the tiny windowed mode, and anytime I attempt to increase its size, it crashes anyway

I don't think any version of ZC is compatible with 7, at all

It seems if you can get it to run, you've completely lucked out

or haven't updated windows in awhile.. I've noticed that my brothers 7 laptop which doesnt go online, runs ZC fine after this fix, but after being updated with the newest patches and fixes from Windows Update, ZC is absolutely impossible to run

I can't even find a machine that runs XP anymore.. I'd have it on my tower here, but my towers 64x and I have yet to run a version of XP 64bit that isn't garbage...

I'm thinking ZC needs a major update with regards to running the newest Windows systems.. MS is only months from no longer supporting XP at all, so by 2011 if you don't have at least Vista, your gonna be a major security attack waiting to happen lol

but yeah, I'll keep trying a few things.. if I have to I'll recode the exe file to match a program designed to run with Vista/7 (which is most of them anyway). Course that might destroy the entire programs stability, but at least it'll run... for awhile

Coyotek4
05-11-2010, 06:16 PM
I first found this site about a year ago. Had XP at the time. ZC 2.10 downloaded ok enough (I had some color issues and other assorted bugs), and I greatly enjoyed playing all 3 'basic' quests in addition to that other 'uber' quest.

My old computer crashed in early-July of last year; I bought a new one shortly thereafter but didn't try to return to this site until recently. My current computer has Vista.

I have been unable to get 2.10 to work. I tried all the 'fixes', but kept getting the same error message followed by a closing of the game window. Trying to get 1.90 to work fared no better.

Should I assume that I am S.O.L. until the next upgrade?

elise
05-12-2010, 06:58 PM
did you try to open it using the zclauncher as an admin

Coyotek4
05-12-2010, 10:45 PM
did you try to open it using the zclauncher as an admin

The version I downloaded (2.10) didn't have a Launcher, but I did try to open the other stuff as an admin (to no avail).

elise
05-13-2010, 05:07 AM
you can download the zc launcher separately and put it in the same folder as your zelda 2.10 and then open it with the launcher as an admin

Coyotek4
05-13-2010, 05:03 PM
you can download the zc launcher separately and put it in the same folder as your zelda 2.10 and then open it with the launcher as an admin

Where do I find the Launcher?

elise
05-13-2010, 09:19 PM
http://www.dproj.info/projects/zelda-classic-launcher/

here you go ;o)

Coyotek4
05-15-2010, 10:48 PM
The Launcher works! Thx!

But ...

1) How do I save a game? when I left the game and came back later, all data was gone. (I tried using the 'Save' option, but it did no good once I left the application.)

2) ZQuest doesn't work.

Nicholas Steel
05-15-2010, 11:56 PM
You need read/write permission for Zelda Classic to save. You are best off installing the game somewhere outside of Program Files for Vista/7.

Coyotek4
05-16-2010, 10:03 AM
You need read/write permission for Zelda Classic to save. You are best off installing the game somewhere outside of Program Files for Vista/7.

I currently have the Zelda stuff in a folder on my desktop. I don't think it's in the Program Files section. How do I grant permission? (I don't remember having to jump through all these hoops before; is this because of Vista?)

mooshki
08-24-2010, 10:05 PM
I have tried every solution I could find in the forums here and on purezc, and I just cannot get it to work on Windows 7, even using the Launcher. What I get is a "window frame" that says Zelda-w at the top, and in the middle there's nothing - I can see whatever is open underneath it. I hear the flames, and if I hit "enter," it seems to move to the next screen, but I can't see anything. It's driving me insane, and I would be so grateful if someone could help me!

(Have tried Run as Administrator, Run in 256 colors, Run in 640 x 480, Disable desktop composition, and zLauncher with and without Full Screen, Vsync and 640x480 checked.)

Nicholas Steel
08-25-2010, 02:00 AM
Disable all the compatibility stuff and run the game, now try dragging the window around, does the screen now appear?

mooshki
08-31-2010, 11:56 PM
Yep, the screen appeared, but each time I hit a key to do something I have to move the window around again for the view to update. Oh, and it doesn't work at all for the Lost Isle build. :(

Schwa
11-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Yep, the screen appeared, but each time I hit a key to do something I have to move the window around again for the view to update.
YES. THIS IS THE CASE FOR ME TOO. I'm now running Windows 7 and no matter WHAT I TRY I get this problem, rendering ZC virtually and permanently unusable for me. (Talking 2.5 here, haven't tried 2.10 but I really REALLY don't want to be forever stuck with an obsolete version.)

Anyone have any headway on this issue? Until it's resolved, I cannot move forward, and my friends are depending on me here.

Saffith
11-07-2010, 12:05 PM
http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?44914-Build-1121-Refresh-Problem.&p=431643&viewfull=1#post431643
Maybe different power settings would help?

Schwa
11-07-2010, 04:19 PM
http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?44914-Build-1121-Refresh-Problem.&p=431643&viewfull=1#post431643
Maybe different power settings would help?

Solved! I set my power to "High Performance" setting.

I NEVER would have figured that out. I'm so mad at myself... Thanks so much for the help, Saffy, you probably saved my entire ZC career from dying before it even picked up. *hugs tightly and fondly*

kuukuu
11-10-2010, 10:55 AM
i edit. the loader makes it play now, but the game freezes link's walking. now somtimes i play but he won't move when i go in and out of a cave/house

and the fantasia game loads up, but I cannot move. even when i set my controls.

AxmKap
06-23-2011, 10:08 PM
I downloaded the 1348-windows pack and unzipped it, then put the launcher in my 2.10 folder. Well so far I changed my power setting to high performance, clicked the "run as admin" box on the launcher and that loads great. However as stated above, when I click the ZClassic button in the button left, I get a new window that is extremely choppy or doesn't do anything unless I hold the mouse button down on the menu bar as others said. Anything else I'm missing as far as compatibility? (Windows 7). I'm going nuts...

King
07-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Hello all,

I haven't used ZC in about 6+ years, but I just felt like re-playing my old quests again just to see how much of it I remember. I downloaded 2.10 to my Win 7 PC, and it works fine, except I can't run in full screen. That's not the problem I'm reporting, though...what's happening is my items in the game will not appear in shops. This issue seems to be intermittent. I'm wondering if it's because my quest was made with ZQuest 1.90 and that maybe there's some kind of problem with running a 1.90 quest in ZC 2.10. Can anyone help with this? The name of my quest is called King Quest.

rocksfan13
07-10-2011, 02:08 PM
2.10 has a bug with using only 1 item in a shop. Sometimes that item will not show.
You have to make the item on all 3 if that is what you are doing.