PDA

View Full Version : What games did you get for Christmas?

MottZilla
12-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Just thought it'd be interesting to ask what games or gaming gear people may have gotten/asked for/plan to buy for Christmas. Lots of new games are always coming out so it's interesting to see what games people are interested in by the time Christmas rolls around.

Masamune
12-25-2009, 09:20 PM
http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=84

SNES powerpak, but you know that. ;)

DarkFlameWolf
12-25-2009, 09:23 PM
None. But I bought one myself: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers.

Cloral
12-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Professor Layton.

Anthus
12-25-2009, 11:38 PM
http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=84

SNES powerpak, but you know that. ;)

That's cool, but what does it do for with games that use the cart's built in FX chip? Does this tihng have a "one size fits all" thing or something?

As for me, I didn't get any games for Christmas.

Masamune
12-26-2009, 01:00 AM
That's cool, but what does it do for with games that use the cart's built in FX chip? Does this tihng have a "one size fits all" thing or something?

As for me, I didn't get any games for Christmas.

No, but DSP1 games can be played though if the DSP1 chip with it. I can't play games from this list except for the DSP1 games. http://www.retrousb.com/downloads/incompatibilitylist.html

Thunderbird
12-26-2009, 03:06 AM
Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time (now I can remove 4GB worth of demos from the PS3 hard drive...), A Boy and His Blob and Boom Blox Bash Party.

Icey
12-26-2009, 03:08 AM
A PS3! And

Metal Gear Solid 4
Rock Band 2 with microphone
Uncharted 2

=)

MottZilla
12-26-2009, 04:19 AM
None. But I bought one myself: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers.

That still counts if you bought it yourself.

I didn't get any gaming gear for Christmas but I did get some cash which I will likely spend on it. I will probably pickup the SNES PowerPAK.

Anthus, very few games use enhancement chips and other than Star Fox 2, all can be bought for reasonable prices. So it's not a serious limiting factor.

sps999
12-26-2009, 12:39 PM
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
and a flash card for my DS.

Dark Knight
12-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Dragon Age: Origins + 3200 MS points which I used to purchase the two expansion packs for Fable II and a bunch of songs for Rock Band 2.

biggiy05
12-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Call of Duty 3, Modern Warfare and a World at War. I also have a $50 gift card to BestBuy and a $25 gift card to Walmart.

davidballardjr
12-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks and Super Mario Brothers Wii

Anthus
12-28-2009, 02:28 AM
That still counts if you bought it yourself.

I didn't get any gaming gear for Christmas but I did get some cash which I will likely spend on it. I will probably pickup the SNES PowerPAK.

Anthus, very few games use enhancement chips and other than Star Fox 2, all can be bought for reasonable prices. So it's not a serious limiting factor.

Ok, after looking at the list... See, I thought games that used mode 7 (basically every RPG for the system post 1993) relied on something in the cart.

Dell297
12-28-2009, 02:32 AM
What i got for christmas was Super mario galaxy, New super mario bros. wii and paper mario the thousand year door.

MottZilla
12-28-2009, 05:20 PM
No. Mode 7 is just capable of two manipulations, scaling and rotation. Combined with raster effects you can generate a 3D board like effect used in F-Zero, Super Mario Kart, Secret of Mana, etc. However some games like Super Mario Kart have alot of objects in play on this 3d field effect and contains the "DSP1" chip to help with calculations related to this. F-Zero works differently and didn't require this. Similarly Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy games mode 7 effects are just the background and maybe an object or two, which doesn't require extra help.

Obviously the list spells it out for you what works and what doesn't. I should mention that the SNES PowerPAK has had ALOT of people reporting it not working at all for them because there are apparently still system revisions that are incompatible. While all SNES systems look the same there are many different hardware revisions. It would suck to spend over $150 on it and have your console be incompatible. For that reason I'm not buying one till the issue is resolved.

Brasel
12-30-2009, 01:19 PM
I got a hose, a lawnmower, a ladder and a snow shovel. At least the shovel was in keeping with the season...

Radium
01-03-2010, 06:21 PM
New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Love it.

Anthus
01-04-2010, 06:20 PM
No. Mode 7 is just capable of two manipulations, scaling and rotation. Combined with raster effects you can generate a 3D board like effect used in F-Zero, Super Mario Kart, Secret of Mana, etc. However some games like Super Mario Kart have alot of objects in play on this 3d field effect and contains the "DSP1" chip to help with calculations related to this. F-Zero works differently and didn't require this. Similarly Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy games mode 7 effects are just the background and maybe an object or two, which doesn't require extra help.

Obviously the list spells it out for you what works and what doesn't. I should mention that the SNES PowerPAK has had ALOT of people reporting it not working at all for them because there are apparently still system revisions that are incompatible. While all SNES systems look the same there are many different hardware revisions. It would suck to spend over $150 on it and have your console be incompatible. For that reason I'm not buying one till the issue is resolved.

Oh, okay. Do these hardware revisions effect newer games on, say, a "first edition" SNES? That's suck if your SNES you got at launch didn't play games like Terranigma, or Starfox.

I got $65 in store credit from a friend for the Play It Trade It where he works. I bought Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, and Wario Land Shake It. Unfortunately, Wario Land does work :/ I'll be taking it back son, to get it replaced.

Thunderbird
01-04-2010, 09:11 PM
I would hope not, Nintendo tends to be rather big on ensuring that games play on all revisions of the system out there. In addition, I'm pretty sure my SNES is really old (don't remember when I got it though), but it ran Star Fox fine.

Brasel
01-05-2010, 03:17 PM
New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Love it.

I was really hoping to get this...but I didn't. I played it for the first time the other day. I'm going to have to pick it up soon. I really really want to play this.

MottZilla
01-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Oh, okay. Do these hardware revisions effect newer games on, say, a "first edition" SNES? That's suck if your SNES you got at launch didn't play games like Terranigma, or Starfox.

You're getting confused. PowerPAK for SNES has compatibility issues with certain SNES hardware revisions. Not games such as Star Fox or Terranigma. So if you bought a PowerPAK for SNES, you would have the possibility of it not functioning on your console and you might have to get another and try it on that one. However, if it works on your console, all games without special chips (Star Fox has one called SuperFX, Terranigma does not have one) would work just fine. For a list of games with chips: http://www.retrousb.com/downloads/incompatibilitylist.html

DSP1 games can be supported by adding the chip to your PowerPAK. No other chips can be supported this way.

Xyvol
01-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks and Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2