PDA

View Full Version : RPG's for the Wii?

Maverick_Zero
12-19-2009, 08:42 PM
I'm getting a Wii for free. Naturally, I want to get a game (preferably an RPG) that is long and potentially involving to get into, any recommendations?

Cloral
12-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Do you have a PS3 or 360? The Wii is not a good platform for RPGs. In fact, the only ones I can think of that are out are two entries in the Tales series. And I don't even know if they're any good.

edit:
And as it turns out, one of those Tales games is Japan-only for now.

Nicholas Steel
12-20-2009, 12:39 AM
Super Paper Mario! It's an RPG. Uhm... not sure what other games are RPG's... is My Little King or whatever one?

pkmnfrk
12-20-2009, 01:22 AM
There's Final Fantasy IV: The After Years. Don't bother unless you love FFIV, though.

Cloral
12-20-2009, 02:18 AM
Super Paper Mario, despite being in the Paper Mario series, is NOT an RPG. It's Mario with leveling up which, as it turns out, doesn't work very well.

Nicholas Steel
12-20-2009, 03:40 AM
It has leveling up, story AND an inventory... isn't that what RPG's normally have? Don't bother with FF IV unless you like completely random enemy encounters like what you see with Pokemon and long grass/caves.

Aliem
12-20-2009, 04:26 AM
Not counting virtual console games, I can't think of a single one... Dragon Quest X is coming out eventually, as well as another Crystal Chronicles title. Nintendo hasn't really had a good RPG console since the SNES.

Darth Marsden
12-20-2009, 07:49 AM
<sigh>

You people are useless.

Baroque (a port, but it still counts)
Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (most awkward title in ages)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (due out on Boxing Day, apparently)
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Dungeon
Spectroboes: Origins
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

That's six (seven if you count Crystal Bearers), and I didn't even use Virtual Console releases. Cookie please.

vegeta1215
12-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Darth Marsden has some good ones, there's also Opoona and Rune Factory Frontier (Harvest Moon sim + dungeon crawler type RPG. Very addictive!). Some coming in the future include Arc Rise Fantasia and Tales of Graces.

I consider Super Paper Mario RPG-like enough to warrant that name, but the original Paper Mario on the N64 from the virtual console is a must have. Sadly that's where you'll find most RPGs for the Wii. But don't forget you can play Gamecube games too! I highly recommend Skies of Arcadia Legends. It's old school, but it's got a unique charm that will pull you in. And of course Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

EDIT: article on Wii RPGs: http://wii.ign.com/articles/101/1019156p1.html

Darth Marsden
12-21-2009, 10:03 AM
Ah, if you want Gamecube RPGs, then that's another story. I can recommend a bunch of those, as well as a fair few Virtual Console and WiiWare titles.

Personally, I would classify Super Paper Mario as a platformer with RPG elements, rather than a full-on RPG like its predecessors. Still perfectly enjoyable, just not quite in the same way as the earlier games in the series.

vegeta1215
12-21-2009, 06:15 PM
It's hard not to classify most games as something with RPG elements due to JPRGs, (which I consider full-on "RPGs") being in the decline. You see a lot more action or strategy RPGs than you used to. Me, I'm glad more games sport RPG elements. I don't have the patience for traditional JRPGs (and anything with random battles honestly) anymore, or the time to play them. But, I was addicted to Rune Factory Frontier, and put over 160 hours into it since May this year :p

catfriedrice
12-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Don't forget Radiant Dawn (Fire Emblem game).

Here's to hoping for Suikoden 6 for the Wii.

Maverick_Zero
12-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Wow. Thanks ya'll. Yeah, I've played super paper mario, kinda disappointing using that moniker but not being like the 64 one at all. I'm just looking for a game that'll take some time to beat and that I can get into because it seems like the Wii is a little shorthanded on those.

pkmnfrk
12-23-2009, 07:52 AM
If that's your primary criteria, then I'll risk turning this into a general "video game suggestion" thread by suggesting the Metroid Prime Trilogy. If you haven't played the Metroid Prime games before, there's easily 60-70 hours of game in there!

DarkFlameWolf
12-24-2009, 11:35 AM
I completely agree on that last post. With 3 full-length games, you can easily get your money's worth with that purchase.