PDA

View Full Version : Avatar.

Anthus
12-18-2009, 04:28 AM
Anyone else see it? Since I just got back from the midnight premier with some friends, I'll wait to talk about the actual movie in detail.

I must say, though somewhat predictable in terms of story, it was still an amazing movie. The visuals redefine special effects as Star Wars did some 30 years ago, and maybe even Wizard of Oz back in 1929. I was cynical at first since it had so much hype. Now, I'm just waiting for that bitch Tim Burton to prove me wrong with Alice in Wonderland.

Mercy
12-18-2009, 03:46 PM
The Wizard of Oz was made in 1939.

I have not seen it yet but am curious since I am an FX nerd. It does bother me a little that such a big deal is being made of Cameron's use of motion capture as revolutionary. Bakshi was utilizing motion capture back in the late 1970's and early 1980's. American Pop still mesmerizes me. (coincidentally, the the main character in Bakshi's Wizards was named "Avatar". If you have not seen it, go find it. NOW!) Cameron has just utilized more detail than was feasible for cell animators back in the early eighties. I am still looking forward to seeing the film for both the story, as Cameron spins a good yarn, and for the CG. Cameron is responsible for Photoshop (developed for The Abyss) so he will always get much love from me for that.

-m.

Pineconn
12-19-2009, 04:26 AM
I'll probably see it, even though it seems to be widely summarized a good-looking, cheesy love story. A good recent movie (although also with a predictable ending) was The Blind Side. Perhaps the best movie I've seen in a while.

Brasel
12-21-2009, 11:21 AM
I probably won't see it in theaters, maybe on DVD or BluRay later. I will say that it looks like Ferngully meets Starcraft.

bigjoe
12-21-2009, 12:40 PM
I was sort of impressed with the visuals in the preview for this. I'll have to check it out. Although, I do smell a bit of cheese here.

moocow
12-21-2009, 08:59 PM
The boyfriend and I went to see it in 3D last night. Absofuckinglutely amazing. I loved every single second of that movie.

PS: The Alice in Wonderland trailer in 3D = hostess panties.

That is all.

DarkFlameWolf
12-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Just got out of seeing it myself. And it was one amazing movie. Far better than his Titanic attempt. I simply cannot wait for whatever movie he comes up with next!

Cloral
12-22-2009, 11:41 PM
I probably won't see it in theaters, maybe on DVD or BluRay later. I will say that it looks like Ferngully meets Starcraft.

Do yourself a favor and see it in the theater. It looks absolutely amazing in 3d. Some of the scenes are so richly detailed with little things like blades of grass waving in the downdraft of the landing ship, or the spray of water from running through a stream. I hadn't seen a 3d movie in quite a while but this one was leaps beyond any I had seen before.

*b*
12-23-2009, 12:32 AM
Saw it last night. While it is predictable, it's amazing in pretty much every other aspect. Obviously, the visuals are what it's all about, but it's an interesting concept behind the whole thing.Saw it in 3D as well, though sitting in the front row kind of ruined it (Too close for the effect to be, well, effective). It's more than worth it, I think

J.J. Maxx
12-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Saw it the other night and yes, it was awesome. I got there a half hour early so I could get prime distance from the screen for maximum effect. The 3-D effects immerse you in the movie as much as the storyline does. Predictable, sure but some of it turned out different than you thought.

I've noticed that a lot of people haven't experienced the new Digital 3D which uses an image polarization system over the old red and blue anaglyph-type setup. The glasses are clear, sturdy and offer a crisp hi-def 3D image without loss of coloration. I've seen 3 new 3D movies and I am totally hooked. I will be going to see every new one that comes out.

Oh and Michele Rodriguez plays a bad-ass chick that kills things. Shocking. Does she ever play anything other than that? (Fast & Furious, SWAT, Avatar, LOST, Resident Evil, Girlfight...) Talk about typecasting.

Glitch
12-24-2009, 12:51 PM
holy fuck it's JJ! Sup bro! How are you and Foxy doin?

ShadowTiger
12-24-2009, 09:45 PM

You know, that actually sounds about spot on. o_o' Pretty damn close, actually.

Saw it yesterday. Can't stop thinking about it.

(Copypaste from elsewhere: ) I think I'm incredibly biased. For me to even think of saying anything bad about it is to punch the person you love most in the face.

I'm not someone who goes into a movie to pick it apart and analyze each piece and see what makes it tick. That's what Parker Selfridge would have done. I chose to see the movie as an experience, and as something that all people could and should relate to.

I assure you, I was far more moved than I could have been than if I had to write an essay about it. [/copypaste]

If you have any sort of thing where you develop an empathy for the characters, and feel what they feel, prepare to be amazed. There were parts of the movie that have the potential to make you so sick to your stomach, as if you were putting your own children into a blender. There were parts of the movie that would make your heart leap for joy and take wing and soar into the open sky. There were parts of the movie that would make you hate people in general. There were parts of the movie that would make you think "... ... damnit, that is just far too beautiful. I want to live there."

Such a great movie. I really don't care if it was predictable. I was watching it for the experience, not to guess what happened next and hope I was right.

Pryme8
01-01-2010, 11:39 PM
(coincidentally, the the main character in Bakshi's Wizards was named "Avatar". If you have not seen it, go find it. NOW!)
-m.

Wizards is a great movie, I love the end when Avatar goes hard.

catfriedrice
01-01-2010, 11:52 PM
I loved it. Seen it twice in 3D (Wanted to do IMAX but they were sold out :( ). I can't see the 3D all too well, but the detail was amazing.

I agree, I wish I lived there too. If nothing more than to have my own Banshee.

Pryme8
01-01-2010, 11:55 PM
it was completely worth going and seeing in IMAX, even if you dont get that good of a seat it works out well

Starkist
01-03-2010, 12:49 AM
The story was rather cliched and predictable. If you have seen Dances With Wolves or The Last Samurai, you know the basic plot already. In a way it's every liberal boy's fantasy: Join the "noble savages" who are being oppressed by the evil white man, learn from them how to be in tune with nature, rise to leadership and defeat the evil white men, and finally marry their princess.

That said though seeing it in 3D is worth admission. You really feel like you are in the environment rather than watching it on the screen. Anything not in focus is a bit blurry, but that really enhances the effect because it feels like you are actually there experiencing it with the characters. A 3D city street would be cool but not very interesting. Cameron has created here a living, breathing alien world that's not like anything we could see here, save maybe in the deepest Amazon jungles. And the story, while cliche, is not bad, and makes for a fun ride.

If you haven't seen it, go see it in 3D. If you made the mistake of seeing it but not in 3D, go see it in 3D. :)

rock_nog
01-03-2010, 11:11 AM
I really hate to repeat what everyone else already said ad nauseum, but seeing this movie in 3D is really what made it. The story is tired and cliched, but it's very well told, if nothing else, and the fact that it's in 3D was an integral part to that. What really bothers me is that for months, this movie had been touted as something revolutionary to the genre of sci-fi. I mean, I can accept it for what it is, but it just pisses me off when you basically have a remake of Fern Gully and everyone acts like it's something that's never been done before. What the hell is that all about?

Pryme8
01-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Its just like Ninja Assassin... I did not go see it for the story, everybody knows modern humans suck at story writing.

Anthus
04-01-2010, 11:23 PM
I think I might be alone on the boat here, and this goes to say it works both ways. I remember hearing about what Miyamoto said about Donkey Kong Country: he said something like "People will play a mediocre game, as long as the art is good". Well, I kinda feel that way about this movie. My point is, most people thought DKC was awesome (myself included), and it seems most people think this movie is awesome. Well, not me. It is just not very original. I can't really feel for any of the characters because the story it a straight line through wild forest, and ends happily ever after. It is a misanthropic cliche, that just screams "think about the planet ooga booga".

But, hell yeah, it is one of the best looking movies I've ever seen :D

Nathaniel
06-01-2011, 12:38 PM
I think Avatar was a fantastic picture with great special effects, but beyond that, I wasn't impressed. The story was cliche, and it still felt like standard modern day Hollywood format for its genre, thus very predictable.

Anthus
06-01-2011, 08:38 PM
This movie pretty much sucks IMO. The predictable story, and generic characters make watching it for anything beyond the pretty effects a complete waste of time.

AmyPaul
06-15-2011, 05:54 AM
I think avatar is the best animated movie I ever watched and it’s really an awesome film.

pinkcannon
07-18-2011, 12:21 AM
I probably want to see it.I'm curious of what you talking to....I Watch Wizard of Oz so wanna know their comparison

hellebeest
07-18-2011, 11:27 AM
What a thread killer, the site also looks very professional, even I can do better :P. Lets all mail bomb cheapcvvno1 @ [email protected], dunno if it'll help us much though :D.

Back on topic: A true love story, size doesn't matter, neither does color. And with love comes war, just because a third party doesn't get satisfied..... errr

Liked the movie, the graphics/effects <- especially. Wasn't a bad movie, but then I'm easily satisfied :)