PDA

View Full Version : Ganon's Labyrinth

pkmnfrk
12-16-2009, 02:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wPdnv3QJLo

A quest I am working on in Zelda Classic 2.5.

Story

After defeating Ganon for the umpteenth time, Link gets bored with that. He hears rumours of a recently discovered dungeon in the middle of nowhere, said to be Ganon's private treasure stash. Only problem is, no one's gotten far enough in to find anything! So, Link sets out with all his treasure from all his adventures, and goes off to conquer this new challenge!

Oh, wouldn't it be nice for things to work out? :)

Gameplay

It will feature familiar Zelda game play, but with a twist: the entire game is a single dungeon, which is incredibly huge and complex. It will be split up into "Areas", which are themed and mostly self contained, but some puzzles will span areas, where solving something in one area will open something in another, etc.

There will be roughly 8 areas, each with a large boss. You will have to beat all 8 bosses in order to open the final area with the end boss.

There's more, but I won't spoil it now. The bag item briefly and enigmatically shown in the video is a fully scripted menu system to show off... Well, I'll just say now that it's called the "Loot Bag". It will be important for certain things.

In summary, the game play will be sort of like La-Mulana crossed with Zelda, with a touch of The Great Cave Offensive mixed in ;)

I am not ready to make a demo yet. I need to work on dungeon layout, at least for the first area. Then we'll see what happens.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Update on December 26, 2009:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTKNB1XuyXA

Warning: Nasly voice narration!

I show off the basic gameplay for this quest.

Custom scripts:
- The switches
- The arrow shooters
- The arrow redirectors
- The arrow target
- The "Mook Makers" (the enemy spawners)
- The appearing treasure chest (can't use built in secrets with scripts :( )
- The treasure list
- Something else that was shown in the video, but not used. Can you spot it?

In case you're wondering, I much prefer to write my scripts as though they were the basic building blocks for a quest. I.e, as though they were built in to ZQuest. Things like the arrow shooter and the arrow redirector are useful for puzzles before getting the bow and arrow. But, even after that point, they are still useful. The arrow redirector can redirect arrows that Link himself fires, so they're still useful later on.

There's more scripts that you can observe directly, though. The miniboss room, for example, has a total of seven scripts running to make everything tick:
- Four Mook Makers
- One "Mini Boss" room (provides the music)
- One script that monitors the state of the Mook Makers, and sets a flag when they're all done
- One script that makes the treasure chest appear.

Also, to make everything run smoothly, I have an unofficial protocol on how I use the Screen->D[] array. Basically, everything that can affect something else writes to Screen->D[], and anything that needs to react to something else reads from Screen->D[].

So, the switch that makes the treasure chest appear writes to Screen->D[0] when its hit, and the treasure chest itself monitors Screen->D[0], and reveals itself when it's no longer 0. In this manner, I can hook switches, boss rooms, whatever I want to treasure chests, doors, whatever else I want. It's really cool :)

Anthus
12-17-2009, 04:04 PM
That forest dungeon looks really cool.

pkmnfrk
12-27-2009, 12:52 AM
I've updated the first post with a new video, in which I show off some of the new scripts I've written for my quest.

Kenster
02-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Very interesting use of Classic set.How long do you think before it's finished?

Aegix Drakan
02-06-2010, 09:15 PM
I normally don't like the classic tileset....

But this has so much awesome that I just HAVE to try this quest when it comes out! The enemy spawners, the arrow redirecting, the treasure bag.....all of them are totally rad.

Mad props, man. I like!

Yapollo
02-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Stinking guy taking all of your stuff. I bet in the post game Link kills him.